Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Possible to find number plate from vin number?
luke2152

posted on 19/9/20 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Possible to find number plate from vin number?

I owned a track day bike for a couple of years. I knew the previous owner and the one before so I wasn't bothered about having it with no paperwork but now I'm looking to sell it and would be good to have a v5 (if it was indeed ever registered for the road). I have no idea what number plate it might have had and the two previous owners I know don't either. Is it possible to look it up from the vin number?
steve m

posted on 20/9/20 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Only an idea, but if you know an Mot tester, perhaps they can check, as one of the mot items is to check that the v5 matches the vin number,
perhaps they can check the other way round

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

obfripper

posted on 20/9/20 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
It may show up on hpi if you know a motor trader with an account to search by vin, gdpr may have broken this function though.

The mot system will only let you register a test against the vin on an unregistered vehicle, it won't give a reg number for that vin.

Before gdpr you could fill out a v888 form and obtain the dvla history from the vin/details, however that no longer exists as an option.

Dave

gremlin1234

posted on 20/9/20 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I think its possible to find the original number plate from vin for ford uk cars registered since about 2000, via the Etis system etis.ford.com

but you would need to be a dealer or 'IO / independent operator' [ie local garage] to log in.

I registered as an IO, a few years ago, since I maintain my own vehicles. (and I am an information systems geek/nerd...)

bizarrely, it will also give a (ford vehicles) vin from a UK number plate

trextr7monkey

posted on 20/9/20 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
I went through this with a bike and after I had sold it for spares was told that there’s a bloke on eBay can do it -you send the details and if he can provide the relevant number plate you then pay his fee. No idea who it is though

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

SteveWalker

posted on 21/9/20 at 12:01 AM Reply With Quote
I don't know, but as you are sure of the legitimacy of the bike, can you not contact the DVLA, explain that you have bought it without a V5C and that as both you and the previous owners have only used it on tracks, there is no numberplate and no record of the number and quote the VIN to them? It may be that you can fill in a V62, missing out the registration number and enclosing a covering note.
trextr7monkey

posted on 21/9/20 at 12:28 AM Reply With Quote
I tried that with mine they returned the cheque in cashed saying that they had no trace of it

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

nick205

posted on 21/9/20 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
May not be the way you want to go, but if you give the DVLA the VIN will they not tell you if it's ever been registered?

I'd imagine you'd have to go through a process of declaring it SORN to get it back in the loop.

Rich J

posted on 21/9/20 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It may be that you can fill in a V62, missing out the registration number and enclosing a covering note.

I'm in the process of doing this with a "barn find" Mini I recently bought.

Sent the form and covering note with photos to the DVLA and got a reply after a good number of weeks - longer now obviously due to the current situation.

Had a tidy letter back saying that they had no record of the particular chassis number I'd quoted and that I should check my facts and re-submit the form.

They also returned with the letter my cheque for the fee.

Needless to say that I think I have indeed misread one of the numbers so have resubmitted the form and am waiting for a reply.

[Edited on 21/9/20 by Rich J]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.