Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice on very minor puncture repair.
craig1410

posted on 30/9/20 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Advice on very minor puncture repair.

Hi,

During my tin top pre-winter wheel inspection I discovered a tiny thorn had made the tiniest of holes in one of my tyres. Unfortunately it's in the shoulder of the tyre and therefore isn't repairable in the normal manner and even more unfortunately, the tyre is virtually new and still has about 7.5mm of tread on it! Normally I would just curse a bit, bemoan my bad luck and get a tyre ordered up but in this case, the hole is so small that I'm tempted to look into alternatives. FYI, the tyre is worth about £120 plus fitting (225x50R17 Goodyear Ultragrip Performance+)

As I said, the hole was caused by a tiny thorn, maybe 10mm long and probably tapering from 2mm down to a sharp point. To be honest I'm amazed that it managed to puncture the tyre in the first place but if I pull it out sure enough I hear a very faint hiss and air is definitely leaving the tyre! I've pushed the thorn back in part way as a marker for now and it seems to be holding pressure.

One option is to use some squirty sealant stuff (eg. TyreWeld) and I'm pretty sure that would seal the hole but it makes a bit of a mess of the inside of the wheel and tyre. It's likely these tyres will be on the wheels for 2 or 3 more winters so could be a nightmare to remove later.

Another option is to just apply some vulcanising solution to the thorn and shove it back in but I'm not keen on that either since the thorn is tapering the wrong way and is likely to decompose over time and fall out.

Another potential option is to shove something else in the hole such as a bit of paperclip or similar, again with glue on it. I've see those little pieces of rubber that you can shove into punctures with a tool before trimming off but I don't think that would work here without making the hole bigger first.

What I definitely don't want to do is ream the hole out in any way because as things stand, if the blockage (thorn/glue/paperclip) was to fall out then I'll just get a slow deflation which will take perhaps 20-30 mins to go flat. If I was to ream it out like they do when doing a proper repair then that size of hole would cause a rapid deflation which isn't safe. I find it inconceivable that this tiny thorn will have in any way compromised the structure of the tyre otherwise I wouldn't even be thinking about a repair.

So, opinions please...am I crazy for even considering a repair? It just seems so wasteful to bin it.
Thanks,
Craig.

daviep

posted on 30/9/20 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I can't comment on trying to inject some kind of sealant / glue as I've never tried it, however it seems like there is nothing to lose trying this method.

However I have used the repair "laces" dozens of times with 100% success, including a couple of shoulder repairs that I shouldn't have repaired. As you point out you need to enlarge the hole slightly but once you put a lace in the hole there's no chance of it falling out and leaving a gaping hole, worst that would happen is you'd get a slow leak around the lace.

Kit same as THIS

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

craig1410

posted on 30/9/20 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Davie, I think I'll consider the repair laces as a plan B for now but it's certainly good to know you've had good results even on a shoulder repair with these. What I really need is a smaller version of this which can be used without increasing the hole size. I'll do a bit of searching to see if such a thing exists.
Cheers,
Craig.

[Edited on 30/9/2020 by craig1410]

[Edited on 30/9/2020 by craig1410]

steve m

posted on 30/9/20 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
I have also used the repair kit with a reamer and needle thing, with rubber and glue a few times, and apart from the first one i ever did, (dropped the sting bit in the tyre!!) they have worked fine

Ive never touched the shoulder, as i believe the repair has to be within the treaded are, and i also believe that no tyre fitter would do a repair in a wall

I only used the spray gunk stuff once, on my old Mondeo, with the intention of getting it sorted, well i never did, and the car was sold over two years ago, and probably still has the stuff inside

steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

nick205

posted on 30/9/20 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
A PITA for sure!

When faced with a vehicle puncture like that I've usually bitten the bullet and replaced both tyres on the axle. That said I've be fortunate enough the tyres have always been towards the end of their wear life anyway. A nearly new and not cheap tyre is a different matter.

Once had a tyre fitting place repair a puncture in the main tread area, but never attempted a repair myself. I think I'd always have the thought of tyre failure after repairing myself with worrying consequenses.

On the upside for you with that much tread depth left you can probably replace the one yre rather than both across the axle.

ianhurley20

posted on 30/9/20 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
I've got no experience with the 'slime' goo repair but it seems that it may be worth a try.
I bought a car from Car Giant in London, when I picked it up they said that they had put 2 new tyres on the rear, good news indeed as they were Pirelli not chinese unknowns. 4000 miles later I had a puncture in one of them and when the tyre was removed it had already been repaired with one of the 'laces?' that has a patch on the end that was glued onto the inside of the tyre at an earlier puncture. And yes it was on the shoulder where it should not have been repaired.
I am not too sure at all about that sort of repair after that experience. (Car giant did make a contribution to the replacement)

daviep

posted on 30/9/20 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20
I've got no experience with the 'slime' goo repair but it seems that it may be worth a try.
I bought a car from Car Giant in London, when I picked it up they said that they had put 2 new tyres on the rear, good news indeed as they were Pirelli not chinese unknowns. 4000 miles later I had a puncture in one of them and when the tyre was removed it had already been repaired with one of the 'laces?' that has a patch on the end that was glued onto the inside of the tyre at an earlier puncture. And yes it was on the shoulder where it should not have been repaired.
I am not too sure at all about that sort of repair after that experience. (Car giant did make a contribution to the replacement)

Was it the original repair that failed or was the original repair noticed when repairing the second puncture??

Just to be clear the laces are a different type of repair, the repair you described sounds more like a mushroom plug
THIS
Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

peter030371

posted on 30/9/20 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
So, opinions please...am I crazy for even considering a repair?

In a single word YES.

In more words the tyre is the single part of a car that keeps you in contact with the ground, if for ANY reason it fails you become a passenger in an out of control box with lots of energy to use up hitting things/ people before it finally stops. There is a very good reason tyre shops will not repair a hole in the wall, that is the bit that flexes with every revolution and does all the 'work'. Any repair in this area could fail after all the flexing. I also think a repair in the area is illegal (but could be wrong) so if it failed and you had an accident you might find your insurance invalid.

Personally I would moan, swear, moan a bit more and then suck it up and cough up for a new tyre. I had a sidewall puncture in a 6 week old tyre a couple of years ago that could not be repaired so this is what I did (I was very good at the moaning bit )

mcerd1

posted on 30/9/20 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410Unfortunately it's in the shoulder of the tyre and therefore isn't repairable in the normal manner and even more unfortunately, the tyre is virtually new and still has about 7.5mm of tread on it! Normally I would just curse a bit, bemoan my bad luck and get a tyre ordered up but in this case, the hole is so small that I'm tempted to look into alternatives. FYI, the tyre is worth about £120 plus fitting (225x50R17 Goodyear Ultragrip Performance+).

I've had nearly the exact same issue before with a tyre that had only done 500miles (roofing nail in my case)

I managed to get it fixed with a (hot?) vulcanized repair - only problem was it needed sent off and took ~2 weeks to come back in the end - but it gave me no issues after the repair (and I'm not very kind on my tyres )
But that was all sorted out for me by a local tyre fitter that I really trust...

but that said if your in any doubt don't risk it...

[Edited on 30/9/2020 by mcerd1]

-

SteveWalker

posted on 30/9/20 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Yes. I read the BS Standard on tyre repair some years ago. When tyre places show the chart and tell you that the repair is not allowed in the shoulder area of the tyre, they are not being completely honest. They are correct in that the type of repair that most them can offer is not permitted outside the tread area, but they omit to tell you (may not even know it themselves) that such repairs *ARE* both possible and legal - but they do require hot vulcanising and so the tyre usually needs to be sent off.
craig1410

posted on 30/9/20 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by peter030371
quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
So, opinions please...am I crazy for even considering a repair?

In a single word YES.

In more words the tyre is the single part of a car that keeps you in contact with the ground, if for ANY reason it fails you become a passenger in an out of control box with lots of energy to use up hitting things/ people before it finally stops. There is a very good reason tyre shops will not repair a hole in the wall, that is the bit that flexes with every revolution and does all the 'work'. Any repair in this area could fail after all the flexing. I also think a repair in the area is illegal (but could be wrong) so if it failed and you had an accident you might find your insurance invalid.

Personally I would moan, swear, moan a bit more and then suck it up and cough up for a new tyre. I had a sidewall puncture in a 6 week old tyre a couple of years ago that could not be repaired so this is what I did (I was very good at the moaning bit )

You've gone all "Health & Safety" on me Peter

I respect what you're saying but if you saw the extent of the puncture in what is otherwise an almost new, premium tyre, then I honestly don't think that safety is an issue unless I did start reaming out the hole to accommodate a repair lace or other such repair. I don't think I would even have noticed the thorn had I not been doing my usual routine annual inspection and debris removal. Maybe it would have been better if I hadn't noticed it actually!

Now I know about hot vulcanisation, what I might do is get a new tyre but then keep the old one and have it repaired ready to refit when almost inevitably I get another unrepairable puncture in the coming years.

Thanks for the advice all.

ianhurley20

posted on 30/9/20 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
Originally posted by ianhurley20

Was it the original repair that failed or was the original repair noticed when repairing the second puncture??

Just to be clear the laces are a different type of repair, the repair you described sounds more like a mushroom plug
THIS
Cheers
Davie

Hi Davie - it was the original repair that failed and yes it was a mushroom plug that was used (sorry I didn't know the correct term) . Knowing that this is not a repair that should generally be done I wasn't best pleased with CG. Since I traded the car in a few months later I don't know if the other 'new' tyre was the same.

coyoteboy

posted on 2/10/20 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
Since slime works for small holes, and is perfectly legal as a home user (you can put it in as preventative), I'd probably go that route if it were small enough, not least to environmentally seal the carcass from the elements.

jacko

posted on 11/10/20 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all
Yesterday i went to QuickFilt to have a tyre removed and re fitted the bead is leaking 2to3 pound a week they quoted me 35pound + 50 pound if the wheel had to be cleaned at a body shop

What a ————off

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
indykid

posted on 11/10/20 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
How close to the shoulder is this?

Try the tyre weld first and if that doesn't fix it, you can always move onto a string plug.

Having fitted a few string plugs now (like Davie, on occasion closer to the shoulder than a tyre shop would maybe want to repair), I have no concerns over their durability.

Having tried to get one back out of a tyre from the inside after it's been taken off the rim, they're certainly not fragile!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.