Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Youtube channel topics
Mr Whippy

posted on 20/3/24 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Youtube channel topics

Hi,

It's funny I'd been thinking of doing a Youtube channel about the old car but didn't think I'd have much to talk about. So I listed out what I could cover and how long I thought the vid would be...

Duration (mins)

1 - 8 - Intro to the Prefect & walkaround
2 - 8 - Road test and honest review
3 - 6 - What to check before a run
4 - 10 - Walking through a full service
5 - 8 - POV ride in the car to Stonehaven
6 - 8 - Going to a car show (Alford)
7 - 8 - Going to a car show (Crathes)
8 - 8 - Full wheel bearing service
9 - 8 - Lanoguard application
10 - 8 - Adding a TDC pointer & strobe retiming
11 - 5 - Rear lamp overhaul & LED conversion
12 - 8 - Brake switch overhall
13 - 6 - Adding a fog light
14 - 15 - Wing repair & respray
15 - 8 - Paint touch up tasks
16 - 8 - Making an airfilter
17 - 5 - Heat wrapping the fuel lines
18 - 10 - Turn signal recommissioning
19 - 15 - Full brake overhaul
20 - 8 - Carpeting the boot
21 - 8 - Changing a tyre by hand
22 - 10 - Getting the dash lights working
23 - 10 - Fitting new carpets
24 - 10 - Installing electronic ignition
25 - 10 - Starter overhaul and bush replacement
26 - 20 - New garage build
27 - 8 - Winter storage tasks
28 - 8 - Summer recommissioning checks
29 - 8 - Door adjustment
30 - 15 - Head off decoke & rebuild
31 - 8 - Major brake teardown
32 - 10 - Seat retrim
33 - 20 - Running board recover (resin & 3D print mould)
34 - 10 - Radiator rebuild
35 - 10 - Fuel tank clean and flush
36 - 20 - Fabric sunroof conversion
37 - 5 - Carb rebuild
38 - 15 - Build & fitting a towbar

373 minutes!

Ok that was a lot more than I expected

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dmac

posted on 20/3/24 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Call it seven hours including tea breaks, so we expect you to have it finished this week ;-)
nick205

posted on 20/3/24 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like plenty of content.

Before starting though...

1. How many Prefects (or similar cars) are on the road (audience in mind)?
2. Will you make it so people can transfer the content across to other vehicles?

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/3/24 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah early days I've never made anything more than a walk around my old Landrover when I was selling it. I was surprised at the time as to how easy it was to post a video, just been so busy to get round to it. I'm still working out how to script a video and if I got all that done in the year I'd be very impressed

1. How many Prefects (or similar cars) are on the road (audience in mind)? - there's several hundred Prefects in the club register but I was just aiming at general audience who are interested in finding out about vintage cars.

2. Will you make it so people can transfer the content across to other vehicles? - I'm assuming you mean something like "How set cable brakes on Vintage cars" rather than "How to adjust your Prefects cable brakes"?. Yes it does make sense to not be too specific to one model.

Basically my message for the channel is - these old things aren't half as bad as you may expect and make good usable fun cars, here's what mines like...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nick205

posted on 21/3/24 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
^^^

Intentions seem good to me then. If it helps people maintain their vintage vehicles and get the best from them - all good!

nick205

posted on 22/3/24 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
So...you've got your channel content, intention and target audience sorted.

What about your YouTube channel name.......?

Entice watchers towards you, gather them in, maybe drop a subtle hint on content.

Does "Mr Whippy" have any signifigance as your LCB username?

Could that be woven into a YouTube channel name?

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/24 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
Good questions.

As for Mr Whippy, the reason I picked that all those years ago was the Mr Whippy van was blaring away at the time I was setting up my account! Funnily enough it is now driving past my work on a Wednesday, he fair gets about as I'm sure it's the exact same van and always plays London bridge jingle! The dog hates it... I don't actually even like ice-cream D

tbh I haven't even thought of a brand name for the channel, I think there are quite a few AI auto generators for names, I will give them a go.

bi22le

posted on 22/3/24 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
You may have seen my "starting a YouTube" channel post recently. Its still happening, we are just getting episode 1 polished before finally releasing.

I have never done this sort of thing before but am comfortable chatting to camera, especially about cars and technical things. I have around 6 episodes of content, aiming for 10-15mins per episode. In the time I have been building content I have already learnt soo much. Let me get some lessons learnt down for you.

- Shoot with multiple cameras, I use my phone and a GoPro. Lighting, angles, handheld Vs wide stable can be mixed up a lot easier.
- Shoot the scenes multiple times, even if you are happy with it 1st time round when you watch it back there will be something you are not happy with
- Buy a lapel mic, it keeps audio quality high and consistent across camera shots.
- Editing video take a very long time
- Editing producing directing the video is NOT the same as creating content. Its an art from and as an engineer I suffer from a strong left side brain (logical) where you need a good arty creative brain to really make a video flow and cut well.
- For the above reason I am lucky enough to have a very good friend who is a music and video creator, he takes all the video and makes it. . . . good.
- Brand and name is important. These are the things which people will need to remember to help spread the word.
- Make sure you enjoy it because it wont pay you much!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Mr Whippy

posted on 22/3/24 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks, yes your post was the thing that pushed me to get going!

Good advice, much apricated

nick205

posted on 22/3/24 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Mr Whippy

Given your recent post about changing jobs and maybe having some space between...

...Get busy filming, editing and publishing your content!

bi22le's tip on using a lapel mic is a good one, viewers will hear you so much better (plus it'll probably make it easier to edit too).

bi22le

posted on 22/3/24 at 02:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Thanks, yes your post was the thing that pushed me to get going!

Good advice, much apricated

Once we get going we should do a collaboration!! I have a couple lined up already, my channel will certainly be different from yours but that is even better in my eyes. All part of the car loving fraternity.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.