Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Emerald phase 5 race cam (Dave Walker)
deano 777

posted on 30/9/09 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Emerald phase 5 race cam (Dave Walker)

Hi there, i have just bid and won a Emerald phase 5 full race cam for a pinto 2.0L by Dave Walker. can anyone help me with any info on this item? many thanks Dean.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
will121

posted on 30/9/09 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
i would say give the man a ring direct and ask him, they are hepfull lot
emerald dave walker contact web page

snapper

posted on 30/9/09 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Read this Google is your friend

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

deano 777

posted on 30/9/09 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
thank you guys, i will give them a call once the part has arrived and i can get a part number from it. Dean
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 30/9/09 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
does it come as a kit including followers & HD springs etc
SixedUp

posted on 30/9/09 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I decided to go for a Dave Walker Phase 4 cam for my 2.1 pinto build. Turns out that Dave handed over all the production of his cams to Newmans Cams some time back. They're very helpful both in providing the cams/kits, and all the support (specifications etc) you'd need to set the cam up.
http://www.newman-cams.com/ for info and contact details.
Cheers
Richard

deano 777

posted on 1/10/09 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you richard, i will give them a call. I currently have a fast road cam kit from Kent cams with followers and springs that i fitted when i built the engine 2k miles ago, now im looking for a little more power, cam and head work is my next step, Richard how do you rate the cam you have fitted and will i need to purchase another kit to go with the cam? Dean.
SixedUp

posted on 1/10/09 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure (its been a while since I bought mine) but I think you'll need the kit as I vaguely remember it being matched to the cam in some fashion. Check with Newmans though - they'll give you the details on that.

Mine is in a 2.1 with a 1600 head that Dave Andrews reckoned was pretty well ported. It made 160-odd bhp and a wall of torque. That was less power than I was hoping for, but it turned out I had a problem with some valves not seating properly. I've fixed that now, but not been able to get it on the rollers to get it set up again yet.

My experience from the pre-fix time was that it had a really good idle, easy pickup and pulled like a train (loads of torque) all the way to the red line. It didn't seem to be massively "cammy". I'd expect your 5 to be more extreme though.

deano 777

posted on 2/10/09 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Thank you all for your info, i have just read up on this cam, i am already running a kent FR32 with an adjustable pulley with 45's and a burton power moded dizzy kit on a 205 engine. i am only getting 119BHP @ 6500 RPM and around the same in tourque. i was told by the tuner that the next stage would be to tune the head and the next stage cam.
I might look out for another head, recon it, try my hand at a bit of porting and fit the phase 5 cam and see what it is like on the car. thanks again Dean.

[Edited on 2/10/09 by deano 777]

HOL

posted on 1/11/09 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Dean,

You should talk to Maylum motorsport in Newington.

He used (in the 90's) to build a lot of clubman spec rally pintos for people in the south east and always used a 1.6 head as the base.

AFAIK he is still going and may have some 'stock' items.

MikeRJ

posted on 2/11/09 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deano 777
Thank you all for your info, i have just read up on this cam, i am already running a kent FR32 with an adjustable pulley with 45's and a burton power moded dizzy kit on a 205 engine. i am only getting 119BHP @ 6500 RPM and around the same in tourque. i was told by the tuner that the next stage would be to tune the head and the next stage cam.

A race cam with a standard head is a waste of time, you get all the disadvantages of the cam (little low end power, lumpy idle etc.) without the big increase in peak power if the head is holding it back.

deano 777

posted on 6/11/09 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
thank you guys, more info the better.
why is the 1.6cc head used in favour over the 2.0cc ??

There are no problems, only challenges!

MikeRJ

posted on 6/11/09 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
Smaller volume combustion chamber means you don't have to go mad with skimming to get the high CR required to make race cams work.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.