Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Use caution when scraping ice.
adithorp

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Use caution when scraping ice.

I had a call today from a customer asking if I could recommend a body-shop. Which I did and then asked why he needed one.

Seens that last night he arrived home late and, knowing that was already freezing and starting to snow, he parked his car at the road end of his drive, The drive slopes down to his house and he thought it'd be easier to get out in the morning.
This morning there's lots of snow which he clears from the car then gets the scraper out to clear the ice underneath. As he sets to work on the rear window, off slides his car down the icy drive and into the bay window!

...and can I recommend a builder!

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

scootz

posted on 5/1/10 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote

It's Evolution Baby!

morcus

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Should have used chocs

very unfortnate but also sort of funny when its someone else.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

MakeEverything

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Should have used chocs

very unfortnate but also sort of funny when its someone else.

Because you normally choc your car before scraping ice off it...??

Theres no way he would have ever guessed that he would PUSH his car down the hill! I would have finished the car off with a hammer, and then set fire to it to melt the ice if that had happened to m!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mistergrumpy

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Neighbours did summat similar the other week. He parked his van on his downwards drive and walked off and as I was coming out my garage the thing just slid past me and smashed through his garage door. I leave mine at the top in snow and have it chocked too atm.
SteveWalker

posted on 5/1/10 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
I knew someone years ago with a large van with a dodgy battery. He used to park it overnight on his drive and bump it down the steep slope. One day he didn't get in quick enough after getting it rolling and went through the hedge of the house opposite and ended up parked in the garden - then he had to call the AA to start it, so that he could get it out
trextr7monkey

posted on 6/1/10 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
Christmas Eve I was clearing snow so church goers could get up the slight hill, my neighbours arrived for the service and parked their people carrier which slowly started a slide, fortunately my up turned builders shovel acted as a wedge til they moved it onto the level road.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

morcus

posted on 6/1/10 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
Oddly enough my dad does sometimes wedge his car on the driveway (Which is sloped).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Mr Whippy

posted on 6/1/10 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've had quite a few cars that handbrakes eased off once they'd cooled down. Hence I leave them in gear.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 6/1/10 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
One hot summer many years ago a lad who was a driver in the army was passing his mum's house so he and his mate stopped in for a cup of tea. Problem was his army truck a Mighty Antar tank transported two hours later it had sunk 4" into the hot tarmac, the council got round to filling in the depressions in the road about ten years later.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 6/1/10 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote

Young woman got hit by a PARKED car an hour at the end of our road, it was hit by another car that lost control It's chaos out there at the moment as the ambulance coming to get her smashed into the back of an Astra and drove it into a lamp post. A 4x4 Ambulance coming to rescue her also got stuck.

Fortunately she has only relatively minor injuries thanks to some people that pulled out of the way of a second car that demolished the wall she was lying in front of after being hit by the first!

02GF74

posted on 6/1/10 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Should have used chocs

I find Terry's Orange are the best shape. You can then eat them when you return. Yumm .....

adithorp

posted on 6/1/10 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
There was some classic footage on NorthWest news last night showing how bad the road conditions were, First car was an Alfa156 struggling to get up the road. Sliding all over the place. As it went past the camera man you could clearly see the pillock still had the handbrake on!

adrian

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Danozeman

posted on 6/1/10 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
My father inlaws car slide away down my drive before chrimbo. He opened the rear door to load my daughter in the back and the car slid away down the slope.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

irvined

posted on 6/1/10 at 11:37 AM Reply With Quote
My parents live on the mother of all hills, the day i was moving to NL, i woke up at 7am too hungover to get out of bed and decided since it was snowing i could do well to rest my weary head a bit longer.

An hour later I woke up realizing that it was snowing and that I'd better move the car down the hill whilst there was only a few inches. Down I slid - with my mate stopping traffic on the main road just in case I couldnt stop.

I parked up at the bottom of our road near the main road, and got out, as i did so the car started sliding. I got on it, started it up and managed to hold it still by sitting in reverse at about 1100rpm.

So I then moved it onto the main road, but you can't park there so I drove it into town. Ran home, got into bed and slept a few hours, when my head stopped throbbing i realized that I hadn't packed the car with my stuff so would now have to walk down an ice covered hill with everything I wanted to take. Needless to say, that was *fun*

http://irvined.blogspot.com

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.