Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage clenliness
r1_pete

posted on 20/1/10 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Garage clenliness

Didn't want to hijack Imp Pauls thread, and that is one awesome car, but how do people keep their builds so clean?

When I built the MG last year, I kept the garage clean, sweapt and hoovered after every session, the shell was spotless, the engine, box, and running gear were spotless, but when I assembled them, it all seemed so grubby and dusty.

Is it just me????

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
T66

posted on 20/1/10 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
I will watch this one, I am you !

My garage is about to get some costco rubber matting to dampen it all down.

Other than sweeping it up everytime your in there I have no idea.

Maybe my concrete floor is ancient

blakep82

posted on 20/1/10 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
lol even after i sweep up, its just as dusty again. my solution is to not bother, and when the car's built, attack with a pressure washer

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Bluemoon

posted on 20/1/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Floor paint if you have concrete one helps no end. Same probably for the walls (white paint) and celling..

Dan

[Edited on 20/1/10 by Bluemoon]

nick205

posted on 20/1/10 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
Sweeping a bare concrete floor kicks up a good amount of dust. I've always picked up the bigger bits and then vacuumed the rest to try and keep the dust down. SWMBO does moan about the state of the vacuum though

Other than that I always try and do any grinding/sawing/sanding type work outside - not always practical though.

speedyxjs

posted on 20/1/10 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Are you saying mine isn't tidy?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

ashg

posted on 20/1/10 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
i hover mine. much better than sweeping as it doesn't kick up the dust

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

Fozzie

posted on 20/1/10 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Thoroughly sweep the dust off the walls, and paint having put a mix of pva in.

Same for floor ... sweep all of the dust off and seal in the same way as the walls .... (pva) ... then you could paint in a light colour garage floor paint....
When dry, you could also find some industrial strength flooring a bit like lino preferably in a light colour, that fits where the car will stand.....light colour floor tiles will do (lino type) .... This makes it easier to find the little bits that get dropped, chase any leaks, and sweep out any caRp that collects under it....

I just sealed mine off, and used some industrial lino type flooring which was given to me.

The thing about most garages, is that they are usually bare floors and walls, and dust always appears, sealing them off with pva, helps no end.....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

A1

posted on 20/1/10 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
i just sweep mine and have a tool clear up every night... sure, the chassis etc picks up some dust, but just give it a wipe before assembling.I also wrap bits in cling film to protest/keep them clean. seems to work okay.
nib1980

posted on 20/1/10 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
easy Mine now looks like this

BEFORE:

AFTER:

It Makes working in there such a pleasure now

see thread here

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=127661

[Edited on 20/1/10 by nib1980]

Fozzie

posted on 20/1/10 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ooooo I have also insulated the garage door a bit like nibs too

Just read Imp Pauls progress thread, and our work shop is also like that.....but we have painted the floor in light grey International Floor paint.... it looks like this now ....

Work shop
Work shop

mad4x4

posted on 20/1/10 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
The maid goes round the garage once every three days and Pledges all the spanners and scrubs the concrete floor then take the industrial polisher over the floor.

Biggest problem I have is she keeps dragging the 350KG lathe out of the coner to sweep & polish the floor and it then takes me 2-3hrs to push it back in and level it with the hewlp of 4 mates. God knows how a woman of 103 years wighing 45kg and only being 4ft2 can move the 350kg lathe on her own in 10 mins.

I asked her and she said "Ohh don't worrie laddie it only takes 10 min to move that thing and polish under it......>"

Hell I need to remember to order some "machine skids" to make my life of putting back in easier........

oh well lifes hard.

[Edited on 20/101/10 by mad4x4]

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Fozzie

posted on 20/1/10 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad4x4
The maid goes round the garage once every three days and Pledges all the spanners and scrubs the concrete floor then take the industrial polisher over the floor.

Biggest problem I have is she keeps dragging the 350KG lathe out of the coner to sweep & polish the floor and it then takes me 2-3hrs to push it back in and level it with the hewlp of 4 mates. God knows how a woman of 103 years wighing 45kg and only being 4ft2 can move the 350kg lathe on her own in 10 mins.

I asked her and she said "Ohh don't worrie laddie it only takes 10 min to move that thing and polish under it......>"

Hell I need to remember to order some "machine skids" to make my life of putting back in easier........

oh well lifes hard.

[Edited on 20/101/10 by mad4x4]

Jeez Mad! Sounds just like my ma-in-law....

But......although a Highlander, she is a giant at 4' 10", and a mere youngster in comparison of only 92 ....(next month) .....

Fozzie

55ant

posted on 20/1/10 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
fozzie, do you have somethin to do with the c-type at goodwood? saw the banner in your pic?
Fozzie

posted on 20/1/10 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 55ant
fozzie, do you have somethin to do with the c-type at goodwood? saw the banner in your pic?

Yes...one of them!
The Goodwood Banner (over each of the respective cars in the Paddock) .... but a couple of years or so ago now ...
Owner has now sold it ..

There is another car Goodwood Banner from a couple of years ago, but it is out of shot, which the owner (same one as the C-Type) still has, it is not a C-Type but a Light Weight (LT2) XK120 roadster ..... it hasn't raced for a while though, since the last Le Mans Classic I think, or it may have been Laguna Seca (we didn't go with it to the States ).... the owner is taking a break due to ill-health ...

Fozzie

r1_pete

posted on 20/1/10 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
Fozzie, my Jag would be sooooo comfy alongside that blue drophead in your nice clean shop......

Must get my workshop cielling in and the walls dry lined and painted......

[Edited on 20/1/10 by r1_pete]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimEllershaw

posted on 20/1/10 at 01:53 PM Reply With Quote
Being a nosey bugger I am always drawn to the background of a picture. In a lot of the garage pictures on here and on the WSCC forum people seem to have carpet on the floor ?!?

- I just wish I had a garage that I could get the car in !

Fozzie

posted on 20/1/10 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Fozzie, my Jag would be sooooo comfy alongside that blue drophead in your nice clean shop......

Must get my workshop cielling in and the walls dry lined and painted......

[Edited on 20/1/10 by r1_pete]

The drop head was a ground-up restoration ... it now has its engine in

Vindi_andy

posted on 20/1/10 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
MY GOD speedy how did you get your car in there a shoe horn?
mcerd1

posted on 20/1/10 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fozzie
The drop head was a ground-up restoration ... it now has its engine in

do you want a new project for when its done ?

just needs a little work, and I've got about £1.50 left over from lunch time

but getting back on topic, the scimitar's in my dad's shed and the floated concrete floor is fantastic - but I'm not allowed to use it, even the scimitar is getting evicted soon

I get the old pig shed next door:

actually it looks quite clean in that pic, before I covered it all in cement, soring the floor and doors
its getting painted at the moment (never thought of using PVA in the paint though)

[Edited on 20/1/10 by mcerd1]

-

Fozzie

posted on 20/1/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm I think, to start, completely stripped off and out and sent to blasters....oh!?!... eerrmmm £1.50 you say?

Yep PVA its brilliant stuff......OK..... for £1.00, a top tip ..... when you are decorating inside your house, and you have a strong/dark colour emulsion that you want to change for lighter colour, mix PVA with a white matt emulsion (any make will do) and cover the dark/strong colour wall with that, it may need 2
When dry, paint in the new colour, it will eliminate 'bleed through' and wont take as many coats, 2 should do it....
There ya go 50p left toward tomorrows lunch!

Fozzie

mcerd1

posted on 20/1/10 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
so where do you find big tubs of cheap PVA ? (I've got alot of wall/roof to do, its 14' x 36' )

quote:
Hmmm I think, to start, completely stripped off and out and sent to blasters....oh!?!... eerrmmm £1.50 you say?

its already stripped out, so what discount do I get for that

(at least I didn't pay anything for it)

-

Fozzie

posted on 20/1/10 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
That is NOT stripped out, its not even started!..... LOL ...... Bless

You can get PVA in any DIY store .... I 'think' (such a looong time ago) the ratio is 10:1 the 1 being the PVA ..... I am sure there will be someone along to correct me, as that may be incorrect .... but you only need include the pva in the initial coat .... I will verify the ratio later...

Oh and don't forget the floor....
Fozzie

mcerd1

posted on 20/1/10 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Its more stripped out than it looks, the last owner just threw some of it back together, the body could be back off again in 20min
which is just as well, the body is so bad its not worth fixing - at least not when you can get another one for £300

quote:
Oh and don't forget the floor....
Fozzie

I've got some proper stuff for the floor that a mate had left over

[Edited on 21/1/10 by mcerd1]

-

will121

posted on 20/1/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
some of you garages puts my dining room to shame!!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.