Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ICE Advice - what to buy.
zilspeed

posted on 1/2/10 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
ICE Advice - what to buy.

The new Zilbus has a dead wireless and ther error code on the head unit means it is conspicuously quiet.

The steering wheels has controls which it would be nice to keep.
I have done some searching and apprently I need about 17 looms to retain the steering wheel controls and I also need a compatible head unit which will allow such remote control.

Recommend me a suitable head unit which does SD card / Usb / Jack input and what bits do I need to hook it up to the knobs on the steering wheel.

The Zilbus is a 2001 Citroen synergie.

flak monkey

posted on 1/2/10 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I always rate Alpine stuff for car audio.

I have a mid range unit, that has support for Ipod (cable in glovebox), aux in on the front, mp3 cd and USB in as well.

All my music is on a couple of 8GB micro USB sticks (about £12 each) and thats it sorted. It also has bluetooth built in

I dont think it will work with oem controls though.

It was about £160 IIRC

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

mookaloid

posted on 1/2/10 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
surely you can get something out of a top of the range Citroen which will fit and will retain the steering wheel controls?

perhaps send all the output through a power Amp and upgrade the speakers to get that authentic chavvy thud thud as you go to the shops

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

zilspeed

posted on 1/2/10 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
surely you can get something out of a top of the range Citroen which will fit and will retain the steering wheel controls?

perhaps send all the output through a power Amp and upgrade the speakers to get that authentic chavvy thud thud as you go to the shops

It's not really a Citroen, it's a Joint PSA / Fiat venture, so any such swap is unlikely.
And there'll will be no doof doof upgrades.

marcjagman

posted on 1/2/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
When I used to build sound systems for the youngsters, upwards of 3000 watts, I used to use Sony Xplod, good quality, good sound and all round good piece of kit for the money as they are not expensive and I believe a lot of them can be used with vatious steering wheel controls.
dan__wright

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sony Xplod is not good kit.

as for max wats figures, ignore these, look at rms.

one of my amps that i was using for my front speakers produces 1599w on its birth certificate but 4* 50W rms @ 4 ohms

if you just want a headunit you will be fine with an alpine

the steering wheel interface is made of 3 parts

a cable specific to the car, a cable specific to the headunit and a box that sits between them, dead easy!

if you want more then u2u me and i will point you in the right direction.

[Edited on 1/2/10 by dan__wright]

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

rayward

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
I have an very lightly used apline head unit for sale, has full ipod +usb (no sd card i'm afraid)you can also add bluetooth handsfree , can be used with citroen controls using adapter from connects2 or alpine

u2u me if your interested ?

cheers
Ray

zilspeed

posted on 1/2/10 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Chaps

I have no desire to add powerfull amps.
As a matter of fact, I have a couple of Crown XLS602s, proper power amps, I use these with a pair of 15" subs, 12" mids and compression driver top end. So, I don't really bother with stuff like that for the car, if I'm going to move air, I prefer to do it in a room that suits it, not a car

Ray, I'll send you a U2U.

Cheers

jambojeef

posted on 1/2/10 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Im a blaupunkt fan. Moved my head unit between 3 cars and never had a problem plus my knackered ears seem to think it sounds good too...

Check out:

www.bluespot.co.uk

Good prices I reckon and in the accessories bit there are adaptors to fit most cars so you can keep your buttons on your 'wheel.

Geoff

dhutch

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:26 AM Reply With Quote
We have a y-reg 806 (same car near enough) but im stuggling to think what the setup for the wheel buttons are.

On the simularly aged 306 which has a very simular headunit my dad was able to get an 'inteligent adapter' to make a sony head unit work with the stick control as he wanted to be able to play .net LP MD's in the car.
- I have now transfered said box to my 306 (aquired with a flashy shity sony head unit) and this also works. Although to be honest it gets that 'soupy' through the converter compaired to the factory setup that i just just the buttons on the dam thing becuase its quicker.

I can also confirm for my exposure to sony head units that they are utterly shite.
- In three years dad go through two headunits (sony xplop)because they just packed up and died and the supplier didnt want to know. And mine randomly changes between Radio/CD/Aux in each time you turn on the key or between FM1/2/3/LW largly as i feels fit. Despight being wired up right and remembering radio presets.

Get a blaupunkt /kenwood after enquiring about smart adapters.

Then you can make sure of the swishy little up and over headunit cover to stop the pikey nob ends nicking it.

*Apploges for typos, its cold, fingars are buggered, and i eed to go to bed

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.