Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Failed MOT...emissions!
t16turbotone

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Failed MOT...emissions!

Hello peeps, astra just failed MOT on emissions

Exhaust emissions carbon monoxide content at idle excessive - should be 0.5 and its 0.87
thats the only thing wrong, any ideas what cold be causing it

thanx

tony

jack_t

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
the turbo

blakep82

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
carb or injection?
i'm guessing injection. lambda sensor? cat?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

t16turbotone

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Fast idle test
CO 0.26
HC 87ppm
Lamdba 1.00

Natural idle test
CO 0.87 - fail
?

1.6 8v 1600cc Single point injection

[Edited on 2/2/10 by t16turbotone]

Dingz

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
I had somethingsimilar with my focus, nice garage chaps said try a fuel additive and thrash it for a tank full. Tried it and..... it was bit better but still had to put a new cat on it Might be worth a try though?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

r1_pete

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
Simple things first - grubby old air filter?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
boggle

posted on 2/2/10 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
try plugs and air filter first...

just because you are a character, doesnt mean you have character....

for all your bespoke parts, ali welding, waterjet, laser, folding, turning, milling, composite work, spraying, anodising and cad drawing....

u2u me for details

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

britishtrident

posted on 2/2/10 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Not that far out -

Could be few things, the lambda sensor could be sluggish or coolant temperature sensor on its way out or it could be the cat.

First thing to do is check the inlet manifold is tight and has no vacuum leaks, check the condition of the plugs and leads espeically checking the plug gap.

The output from the lambda sensor really needs checked out, at idle the output voltage should jump between high and low at least a couple of times a second. A new sensor responds a lot faster than one that has been in use for 80,000 miles. It is best to regard the service life of an upstream Lambda sensor as 8 years.
Often a sluggish lambda sensor is often why it gets more difficult to get a car through the emmisions test as it gets older.

Best way to check the lambda output is to look at through the diagnostic port but a Digital Multimeter will also do the job.

The Coolant temperature sensor is also best checked out via the diagnostic port.

[Edited on 2/2/10 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

StrikerChris

posted on 2/2/10 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mine was similar at sva,tried everything,putting off accepting it was the cat,unfortunately it turned out to be just that (supplied custom chrome)but it could be any of the above,injector cleaner and a thrash first try!
Having said that, that was sva hitlers doing the test unable(or more to the point refusing to)do this perfectly legal 2nd test,my mot man (dad!) managed to get it through on his machine using a different mode or something which allows longer time than the pre-set for your make model in the analyser?Someone else can probably explain what I mean.Don't know if your guy tried this?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 2/2/10 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
You could try something like Cataclean. Supposed to work well with kernackered cats.
martin1973

posted on 2/2/10 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
give it a good thrashing

martin

britishtrident

posted on 2/2/10 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thinking it over this a Vauxhall --- stuck EGR valve ?

One thing to be aware of if you have to buy a cat is that with a car built or used after 2001 having a Cat that is not type approved for that particular model is an MOT failure.
In other words sports cats are an instant failure and cheap replacement cats are also a failure if the examiner decides to look at the the codes stamped on the bottom of the cat .

[/I]

SteveWalker

posted on 2/2/10 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Thinking it over this a Vauxhall --- stuck EGR valve ?

One thing to be aware of if you have to buy a cat is that with a car built or used after 2001 having a Cat that is not type approved for that particular model is an MOT failure.
In other words sports cats are an instant failure and cheap replacement cats are also a failure if the examiner decides to look at the the codes stamped on the bottom of the cat .

Looks like a good way to ensure that modern vehicles can never become classics - as you'll not be able to get the "approved" cats forever

t16turbotone

posted on 3/2/10 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
thanx for all your help guys
T66

posted on 3/2/10 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
With an old 200,000+ miler diesel cavalier the mot prep went like this.

Good dose of injector cleaner

new air filter/ or remove it

block radiator off to get things nice & hot

thrash it to death beofre turning up for the test & dont let it tickover.

ie make sure the engine it as hot as you can get it.

if the tester is an arse go somewhere else, I fell out with kwikfit over this car years ago. Jumped up tester thought blocking the radiator off gave him extra powers to try and fail the car.

second re test it was 0.005 inside the reading, he decided he wanted to do it again. I spent the next five minutes wiping him round the floor...

Find a decent "small" mot garage, use him to look after your car over the year and if he is ok stick with him.

Ive used the same garage for over 10 years, he knows me I know him.

Loyalty with a small garage can help when it comes to MOT time.

Its a bit like finding a good heating engineer, if you find one stick with him (or her)

britishtrident

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker

Looks like a good way to ensure that modern vehicles can never become classics - as you'll not be able to get the "approved" cats forever

It is going to be just about impossible to keep recent normal tintop car on the road to an age when it reaches classic status. I think within the foreseable future I can see "best before" dates being introduced for cars when they have to be scrapped or pass a japanese style MOT that makes IVA look mild.

[/I]

t16turbotone

posted on 4/2/10 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I think BT was right, egr valve sticking, cleaned valve and retested, passed...
britishtrident

posted on 4/2/10 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Using only fully synthetic oil helps prevent EGR valves sticking but for a longterm cure blank it off but leave the valve electrically connected --- that way no fault code is flagged.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.