Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How stupid are some people. . . . .
RichieHall

posted on 3/2/10 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
How stupid are some people. . . . .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8497128.stm

I'm sorry but even in an automatic hook your foot under the pedal and lift it back up either that or jam it into neutral and kill the ignition or just kill the ignition and deal with the skid!!!!

As for the woman in the Yaris, your pedal has stuck twice and your still driving the car, I really do hope that when she runs someone over she's prosecuted for murder!

Rust is lighter than Carbon Fibre!

blakep82

posted on 3/2/10 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
lol, accelerator stuck at 120mph, so you phone someone... turn the ignition off, and deal with it. i've done that in the past when the accelerator jammed on my mums car, in a single lane road, with a bus coming at me. easily enough done. you wonder why these people don't think of it

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

GMPMotorsport

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Imagine trying to get away with that when the police stop you for speeding!

www.gmpdevelopments.co.uk
www.gmpmotorsport.co.uk
ARDS Instructer.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Could explain why so many Prius' sit in the middle lane of the motorway at 65!!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
my accelerator stuck wide open....just ask Scott ..AKA PHEONIX who was driving at the time.......

I was told of several builders who had the same thing happen subk and colibriman had runaways........

Ours happened on the runway shakedowns which was the very reason we used Crail to shake down the gremlins.

whitestu

posted on 3/2/10 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Could explain why so many Prius' sit in the middle lane of the motorway at 65!!!

Fortunately this doesn't apply to the Prius, but if it did, you can't take the key out or switch the Prius off when it is moving.

Stu

Danozeman

posted on 3/2/10 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thats daft. You can shift an auto into neutral when moving. Or just turn it off. IIIIDiots.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Horizenjob

posted on 3/2/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

hook your foot under the pedal and lift it back up

That doesn't work on some cars I've owned. THe pedal just lifts up and leaves the mechanism behind...

quote:

turn the ignition off,

Well on one of the cars that caused fatalities, that required holding a button down for 3 seconds. That car had been loaned to a customer from the dealer, so they had never driven it before.

MakeEverything

posted on 3/2/10 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
I had a throttle stick open in the rain in lane three of the M25 when i collected my first MG Midget. Quite disconcerting with artics in the middle lane, but i turned off the ignition, and pulled onto the hard shoulder.

The pedal got stuck on the front wheel tub. A quick lever to the left and it was sorted.

Cant help but think theres something else going on with this story. - Maybe a prank gone wrong?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

phelpsa

posted on 3/2/10 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
I managed to get the pedal caught under the floor mat once, dipped the clutch on instinct and then shut off the ignition while moving. Unfortunately i let the clutch back in before stopping and upon restarting the engine managed to blow the exhaust off! Oops!

speedyxjs

posted on 4/2/10 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
I had a throttle stick open in the rain in lane three of the M25 when i collected my first MG Midget. Quite disconcerting with artics in the middle lane, but i turned off the ignition, and pulled onto the hard shoulder.

The pedal got stuck on the front wheel tub. A quick lever to the left and it was sorted.

Cant help but think theres something else going on with this story. - Maybe a prank gone wrong?

My Mg has a stick throttle too but that was due to a bad engine earth.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

morcus

posted on 4/2/10 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
My dad had the throttle stuck in the XJ and he said it quickly got into the 120's, at which point he moved over to the inside lane when he could, then put it in nuetral and moved into the hard shoulder to stop.

I can't get the article to work but I think I've seen what your on about and the answer is simple, put it in neutral or turn of the engine. if niether are possible, blowing up the gear box by locking it in a low gear is an option on older cars (My dad said his boss in the late eighties had a japanese car with cruise control and that he had to do this to stop it).

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

iank

posted on 4/2/10 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
Here's the explanation of the problem, capsule summary "poorly designed fly-by-wire mechanism"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/8497746.stm

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.