Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Before we even consider what to build - will it work out?
Tipster69

posted on 19/2/10 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Before we even consider what to build - will it work out?

Hi,

Myself and a mate have been itching to build an MK Indy / Vortx or similar (not decided on which yet, but im 6ft 2 and 18 stone so from reading the forums these seem to be recommended).

But, before we start a build Is it likely to work out sharing a car between us, as I don't know how this would work with track days, which would be our primarily intended use.

Can you take turns in driving the car at a track day or is it one car one driver?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

CHEERS.

blakep82

posted on 19/2/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
hmm, there was a post like this a few weeks back, but between 4 people. the general thing was, no, it would cause problems (who keeps the car, who's responsible for what damage, who tows it, what happens if you don't want to do it any more, but your mate does but can't afford to buy it etc etc)

not adviseable, but might be ok between 2 people

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Tipster69

posted on 19/2/10 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
hmm, there was a post like this a few weeks back, but between 4 people. the general thing was, no, it would cause problems (who keeps the car, who's responsible for what damage, who tows it, what happens if you don't want to do it any more, but your mate does but can't afford to buy it etc etc)

not adviseable, but might be ok between 2 people

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The storage isn't a problem as my business partner who I would be building it with, owns a factory. It would be stored there.

We already own an old Shogun between us that we used to use to tow our boat, so that part shouldn't be a problem either.

With regards to ay damage we have agreed a system for this also.

What im not sure about is a) if the tracks will let 2 of you drive it on a track day? and if so do you have to pay twice?

Also, if they do allow it. Are we both likely to get enough time in the car? (i've never done a track day as such).

CHEERS

[Edited on 19/2/10 by Tipster69]

blakep82

posted on 19/2/10 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
ah, cool. sounds like you got enough things between you anyway and it works for you

as for track days, never done one, but 2 drivers shouldn't be a problem. i think it depends where you go on how they charge. i think a 2nd driver is usually less than the first?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

YQUSTA

posted on 19/2/10 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
All the track days I have looked at you can add an extra driver for a small cost (around £10)

"If in doubt flat out"

Colin McRae

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/2/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm depends how good friends you are and how much cash each of you have. if one of you seriously damages the car on a track day who pays for the repair?? etc etc
Could be the end of a friendship IMHO

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

meany

posted on 19/2/10 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
in my experience, £10 is for a passenger only.
as for 2 drivers sharing the same car, probably best to speak to the organisers direct and see what they come up with.

SPYDER

posted on 19/2/10 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
AFAIK all trackday operators will allow a second driver, albeit for a fee.
You can go out one at a time, or both in the car together.
Most will require both drivers to turn up to the pre-event drivers briefing and for each to do some sighting laps, although these requirements can vary.
As regards sharing the car and all it's costs, both seen and un-foreseen, I am fortunate enough to share a trackday only car with a good friend.
We designed and built it together over a three year period. All the highs and the lows.
I have a larger actual financial stake in it but we regard it as shared, fifty-fifty.
Any future costs, including damage, will be looked upon as the same.
Although none of us has a crystal ball I cannot foresee us ever selling it as it has been a labour of love and worth more to us than it's monetary value.
Aren't we sad.
If you already have a good relationship with your prospective share-ee ( is that a word?) then go ahead.
Trackdays are ace and well worth a little effort. Or a lot!!
Geoff.

INDY BIRD

posted on 19/2/10 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

me and my brother share both our cars a dax and a indy both turbo cars,

we use them on track and share the costs which makes it much cheaper,

The companies on track days allow additional driver or passengers in the car,

some charge for additional drivers some a free but only about 20-25 pounds normally,

we work fine together covering half the costs each for the day incl fuel and insurance etc,

you can go out together or you can go on your own, only difference is that the car gets more use as if you ad your own car it woukld get more rest than 2 of you running if you know what i mean,

do it you wont regret it

sean

Tipster69

posted on 19/2/10 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
MANY THANKS for ALL the above replies.

I think I have heard enough to know that we will "stick to the original plan" and build and use/maintain it between us.

Are we looking in the right direction with the MK Indy / MNR Vortx as we are both "large" blokes (ok im large, my mates just fat - lol). From reading other threads on here, these two seem to fit the bill best, have I interpreted the info correctly and/or are there any others we should consider?

Thanks again for the info - appreciated.

CHEERS

morcus

posted on 19/2/10 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it will work for you guys. I would suggest you decide in writing what happens if one or both of you want to sell it and repairs and such just incase.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

jollygreengiant

posted on 19/2/10 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
If your size & height is thought to be a problem then there is always the Luego Viento. I'm 6'4" and about 20st. I have no problem in the Viento. Mind you my wife tends to look a bit lost in the passenger seat.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

zilspeed

posted on 19/2/10 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Sharing cars - between the right people is a fine idea.
I've done it a few times with my brother.

On a bigger spending level altogether, top level hillclimbing probably wouldn't exist if we didn't have double driving as a whole load of the big single seaters have traditionally been double driven.

I know it's not the same as trackdays, but the principle is the same. Two like minded people getting together and splitting the costs.

Dangle_kt

posted on 19/2/10 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Sounds like it will work for you guys. I would suggest you decide in writing what happens if one or both of you want to sell it and repairs and such just incase.

amen to that, it covers you both. I was looking after a mates bike while he was in aus, it got written off and was a bit of a mess, as he got the pay out and I bought the bike back on salvage retention and he thought I was swindling him... it was all ok in the end, but only cos we are both had it all wirtten out for even the oddist eventuallity.

Steve Hignett

posted on 19/2/10 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
It will be fine having a shared car...

TD organisers almost always allow a second driver.

The price for doing so ranges from:
£Free! to £35 (not heard of one dearer yet)
If you are a paid 2nd driver you can be a passenger aswell (often costs around a tenner on it's own)

You will fit absolutely fine into an Indy, Indy R or the MNR...

Do you want the car to be on the road, or just a TD car?
You could save time and money by buying a part-built, this also has the advantage of people selling cars that aren't suitable for IVA without a lot of work (for eg- a BEC that doesn't have reverse), that would make a perfect joint project.

Cheers,
Steve

Whereabouts in the North West are you?

ps: You may actually fit in a variety of cars, you don't need a seat, you could easily both make a "expanding-foam" seat, that you just whip out/in to suit the driver. That way, you don't have to both fit in the same size seat, and that seat doesn't have to fit in the car...

ATB

Tipster69

posted on 19/2/10 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Thanks again for lengthy and informative replies, mucho appreciated.

Steve - I am nr Warrington.

CHEERS

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.