Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Coolish Commuter Car.....
D Beddows

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
Coolish Commuter Car.....

Modern life is rubbish - wouldn't it be nice if you could look for jobs without dreading spending an hour and a half each way commuting 20 miles........ yeah there's motorbikes but they're cold, wet and dangerous most of the time (and there's no chance of Mrs Beddows letting me back on one, especialy with a new little Mr Beddows nearly here....) came across this.... looks like a shoe as they all do (AND give me a little turbo deisel engine anyday rather than the electric rubbish) but with a little restyle........

Commuter Car

BUT what are the chances of people letting you past between lanes as, from experience, a significant minority will move slightly over to try and stop bikes getting through in a traffic jam if they see one comming through in their mirrors....

mads

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
i think legally you would not be allowed to filter through traffic as it's not a bike. i may be wrong though.

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

eddie99

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
Does look good, i think its a bit of a dream though and not real with those statistics yet, i might be proven wrong.
Anyone know a price, all i see is $10k deposit?
Regards
Ed

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MakeEverything

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
There are lanes for a reason. Technically, youre overtaking, but undertaking at the same time. I reckon plod would benone too pleased to see you shoehorning your way through the traffic in a shoebox. - Me either for that matter!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

TimC

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
A bit OT..

Has anyone else been to Cairo?

There are lanes for three cars and somehow they get 5-6 in. As our guide said, "the lines on the road are for decoration."

D Beddows

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
lol it's all 'pie in the sky' stuff anyway the government make too much money doing nothing to want make it any easier for people to get around.......

It just annoys me that a. you have to sacrifice stupid amounts of hours of your life just to get to and from work nowadays and b. the people you're sat in the traffic jams with are usualy taking up at least twice as much space as they need (me included!)

Johneturbo

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a little ford Ka as i didn't want to commute on my nice new clean Mbike

i don't care if it's not cool as i know what waiting for me in the garage ,it's bloody cheap on fuel and tax too.

btw you got no chance of filtering with that wierd box thing! hard enuff on two wheels

hearbear

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Retail price $108,000.
Irony

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
I am sorry but the first thing I thought of when I saw that hideous looking car is the 'son' out of Family Guy. Its weird shape reminds me of his head.

D Beddows

posted on 24/2/10 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
Buying a small car....... yeah great idea BUT that brings up another problem - if you just travel to and from the same place everyday fair enough..... but if you have to travel 150 miles for a site visit and then the same distance back to get home on a fairly regular basis then you don't want to be doing that in a lickle car....

There is no right answer tbh and I'm just on a bit of a rant tbh

Something does have to change though (including our attitudes!) or we're all just going to be spending all our lives in traffic jams..... I know one seater 'commuter' cars look rubbish from the outside but you don't see that when you're sat in one.... if it's comfortable, dry, has aircon, a decent stereo and gets you there quicker and cheaper then?

Or we can just wait till a government gets off it's bottom and improves public transport LOL

[Edited on 24/2/10 by D Beddows]

Johneturbo

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Sheesh some people you just can't please!!

I feel a a new invention is just around the corner for travel, it will be a Telepod (teleportation)
then re-named an Ipod

[Edited on 24/2/10 by Johneturbo]

D Beddows

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
an 'Iport' surely

errrr copyright D Beddows 24/02/2010 btw lol

Johneturbo

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ahha yes Iport... runs off to buy www.Iport.com just in case

55ant

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
i think its pretty neat, especialy with the 0-60 times,

agree with d beddows with the change in attitudes needed. i think the reason public transport is flawed is because most people want to get from their front door, to wherever they are goin, and couldnt possibly go to a train station 4 miles away, and heavan forbid WALK anywhere, just look at any supermarket car park 100 meters is the differance between packed and empty, because people are lazy. oh and no-one wants to be near anyone else, and the trains are always late, unlike driving where you never get stuck in traffic.

02GF74

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
Modern life is rubbish - wouldn't it be nice if you could look for jobs without dreading spending an hour and a half each way commuting 20 miles........

Do what I did.

Got the job, cut out a hole representing 5 miles in a post-it note then place centred on location of work and buy house within that circle. Simples

Well it was until the office moved to other side of town, thus doubling my commuting distance, but hey ho, 6.6 miles is still cyclable (is that a word?)

sil

Bluemoon

posted on 24/2/10 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
What would be neat is encouraging others to by this form factor of car, all you need to do is add a small lane for small/car motor bikes, this could only be used by them (like a bus lane). Would cost little to do as most roads are probably wide enough... If said small car had to meet strict efficiency requirements as well could also be "green" (I would imagine the drag would be less for such a narrow machine!)...

Dan

Richard Quinn

posted on 24/2/10 at 05:13 PM Reply With Quote
"Front hitch for moving small airplanes. " - I've never found that necessary or desirable on my commute!
rf900rush

posted on 24/2/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
The motors they specify are rated at 28hp and 100hp peak.
600Kw (300kw per motor) is stretching it a bit.
Ok for 1/4 drag races and a new motor every other race, but not going to last long on the road.

Plus you will need new batterys every two years.

I looked at running a G-WIZ a while back, but then found, that the running cost was higher than my Subaru Outback Bus.

So, not yet thanks.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
D Beddows

posted on 24/2/10 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Do what I did. Got the job, cut out a hole representing 5 miles in a post-it note then place centred on location of work and buy house within that circle. Simples

Yeah, good theory but I've changed jobs 3 times since moving here - twice through no fault of my own.... and you can't move house everytime you get a new job if you have a family and neither can you realisticaly say 'if it isn't within my post-it note zone I'm not doing it'

quote:

agree with d beddows with the change in attitudes needed. i think the reason public transport is flawed is because most people want to get from their front door, to wherever they are goin, and couldnt possibly go to a train station 4 miles away

I'm with you 100% BUT parking within walking distance of a station these days isn't as easy as it sounds (especialy without paying through the nose for it) - bus to the station? you're having a laugh! experienced the cost of bus fares recently?

It's all wrong, very wrong

lol

Humbug

posted on 24/2/10 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mads
i think legally you would not be allowed to filter through traffic as it's not a bike. i may be wrong though.

I think that technically filtering through traffic is illegal for bikes as well

Ninehigh

posted on 24/2/10 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Wouldn't know where the nearest bus stop to me is.. Plus last time I tried to take the bus the next one was going to be "at least an hour" so I walked (lying barsteward bus drivers)

Doesn't look too bad, although the front could use a bit of a tweak..

I do like the cup holder on both doors though

Badger_McLetcher

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Stuck in traffic an hour and a half last night to do a 20 minute journey.
I'd take the train if I could, but the council/network rail refuses to reopen the local line even though it's currently used for freight.
I'd take the bus if it wasn't for the fact it'd take me longer than sitting in traffic, more money and there's no guarantee I'd actually get there in time.
TBH the government etc keeps on saying people need to use public transport more, but it's gonna need to improve first. I also think they need to get over the idea that it should be profitable... the best services rarely are.

If disfunction is a function, then I must be some kind of genius.

MikeRJ

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
With 2,000 lbs under the floor (mostly batteries), it is ballasted to achieve the rollover threshold of a sports car.

How many sports cars are available that will fall onto their sides if you corner hard enough rather than losing traction and sliding?

Ninehigh

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
With 2,000 lbs under the floor (mostly batteries), it is ballasted to achieve the rollover threshold of a sports car.

How many sports cars are available that will fall onto their sides if you corner hard enough rather than losing traction and sliding?

I think that's their point... The centre of mass is rather low

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/10 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
I could do with a commuter car - I travel most of my way to work on a train, but the first 6 miles (to the station and home again) is by car. Max speed is probably 45mph, so something electric with 2 seats would be ideal. I'd probably only need to charge it every weekend.

Not at that sort of price though...

[Edited on 24/2/10 by David Jenkins]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.