Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Common rail diesel tuning modules.
paulf

posted on 8/3/10 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Common rail diesel tuning modules.

I have been wondering about improving the performance of my rover 75 diesel as although it drives nicely it is a bit flat on performance compared to my last diesel car.
Looking on the net it seems there are lots of diesel tuning boxes but they all seem to just connect to the fuel rail pressure sensor with the exception f synergy modules which also modify the mass airflow signal if required.
However I cant find any more info other than that, it seems some modules are analog and some digital with a choice of settings.
Thinking about it all that they can do is reduce the signal from the pressure sensor so as the rail runs at a higher pressure and if connected to the MAF they probably increase the signal from that at low revs to give more fuel.
Im thinking of building a simple module probably using an op amp for the MAF sensor signal and a potentiometer to reduce the signal from the common rail sensor. Does anyone know anymore or have experience of these units?
Paul.

[Edited on 8/3/10 by paulf]

James

posted on 8/3/10 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by paulf

Agreed!

That's all I have to say about them as well!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

twybrow

posted on 8/3/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not so sure...!
dan8400

posted on 8/3/10 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'm torn between the two replies so far

Dan

Hey - That's Journey!!!

britishtrident

posted on 8/3/10 at 04:57 PM Reply With Quote
In the end you will reach the limit of how much fuel can be cleanly burnt and start pouring black soot out the exhaust and you also run up against the mechanical reliability limits of the engine.

Rover Ron's Synergy 2 probably represent the limit of what can be done also remember that the remapping of the ECU on these engines is fairly well known territory and can be done via the OBD socket.

Another alternative is an add LPG injection system, as well as adding more fuel this results in cleaner faster combustion giving more power without the black smoke.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

paulf

posted on 8/3/10 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I realize that the engine can be remapped to the 136 spec but it costs about £250 from what i have seen.
I was just looking for some ideas as to how i can gain a few bhp in a low cost manner.
I dont want massive increases as the car has done 223000 miles so dont want to push my luck but the bottom end power is not as good as my 600 diesel was, once moving its not to bad , im aware of the MAF sensor problems and tried disconnecting it but didn't find any improvement so assuming its in spec.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
In the end you will reach the limit of how much fuel can be cleanly burnt and start pouring black soot out the exhaust and you also run up against the mechanical reliability limits of the engine.

Rover Ron's Synergy 2 probably represent the limit of what can be done also remember that the remapping of the ECU on these engines is fairly well known territory and can be done via the OBD socket.

Another alternative is an add LPG injection system, as well as adding more fuel this results in cleaner faster combustion giving more power without the black smoke.

britishtrident

posted on 8/3/10 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Even the factory 131hp mapping is very conservative no great problem in taking these engines out to 150 hp

There are maps for this engine out on the internet but because the ECU contains a lot of vehicle specific info including the VIN number you really want your own MAP doctored rather than one from another vehicle.

Rover Ron is selling the synergy 2 which gives switch selectable power increases up to about 150hp for 179 quid which has to be the way to go.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.