Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car making a strange noise
Benzine

posted on 16/11/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Car making a strange noise

My volvo 960 has started to make a weird noise. It doesn't start until I've driven for a few minutes. I've tried hard to think of a way that best describes the noise but literally the best I can do is 'a baby owl trapped in a tractorbeam'. Not a harsh grating sound but a smooth kind of woowoowooowooowoo.

It doesn't change with engine revs so I'm pretty sure it's drivetrain. If it were a wheel bearing would it make the noise all the time? Doesn't seem to change when I go round corners sharply. Prop related? Diff?

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lewis

posted on 16/11/10 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Belt pulley?
Benzine

posted on 16/11/10 at 05:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Belt pulley?

Noise doesn't change with engine revs, only car speed

The mental gymnastics a landlord will employ to justify immoral actions is clinically fascinating. Just because something is legal doesn't make it moral.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
AndyW

posted on 16/11/10 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
My volvo 960 has started to make a weird noise. It doesn't start until I've driven for a few minutes. I've tried hard to think of a way that best describes the noise but literally the best I can do is 'a baby owl trapped in a tractorbeam'. Not a harsh grating sound but a smooth kind of woowoowooowooowoo.

It doesn't change with engine revs so I'm pretty sure it's drivetrain. If it were a wheel bearing would it make the noise all the time? Doesn't seem to change when I go round corners sharply. Prop related? Diff?

Sorry but me just being silly, I thought you ment the car wouldn't starts so how could you drive a few miles?

Benzine

posted on 16/11/10 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
Sorry but me just being silly, I thought you ment the car wouldn't starts so how could you drive a few miles?

matt_gsxr

posted on 16/11/10 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds owl related to me.
philw

posted on 16/11/10 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
Sounds owl related to me.

Perhaps you should Tweet it, you may get a response

Must try harder

blakep82

posted on 16/11/10 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

owl face

brake drums on the back? rubbing there paerhaps? sounds obvious, but will be something rubbing i think, rather than something worn, but the only doing it a few minutes after starting to drive, sounds heat related, prop shaft touching exhaust? does an exhaust expand much when it heats up?

or do you have an owl living in the boot? have you checked? i'm told they get a bit car sick

[Edited on 16/11/10 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

adithorp

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
Sound like a wheel bearing is the most likely cause. They don't always vary with cornering load and expecting them to often sends you off chasing red herrings. Try jacking up and giving each wheel a spin. Again this isn't foolproof as the load is then on the opposite side of the bearing.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

speedyxjs

posted on 16/11/10 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Have you looked at your brakes? Could be something stuck in the pad?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Canada EH!

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
does the noise change while coasting down hill in neutral?
Paul TigerB6

posted on 16/11/10 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
woowoowoowoowoo

Its not the siren from when it was a police car is it?? It'd be a T5 if it was i guess

Benzine

posted on 17/11/10 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
does the noise change while coasting down hill in neutral?

Nah it stays the same

Thanks for the ideas, I'll try jacking up the car and checking the bearings soon. Nice owl, Blake!

blakep82

posted on 17/11/10 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
yeah, she was awesome, she kept shouting

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.