Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: sidecars...
blakep82

posted on 8/2/11 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
sidecars...

reckon you could register one as a trike?

i wouldn't imagine they handle great unless you've got someone on the back, but i wonder if it could be done?

it would certainly be different, which i like...

i've got a feeling i saw a road one years ago, but i was at hockenheim, and i wasn't very old

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

MakeEverything

posted on 8/2/11 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Awesome on the Isle of man.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

koiking125

posted on 8/2/11 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
How cool is that exhaust

MK Owners Club Member (Frosty) No.1159

jacko

posted on 8/2/11 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
There is / was one running around Matlock bath about 2 years ago [ road legal ]
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Triton

posted on 8/2/11 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
been quite a few on the roads over the years

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 8/2/11 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
i want one
better get all my other projects done too, and make some money to do them all...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

StrikerChris

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Lad i work with al schofield for anyone who's watched them on tv is selling his outfits,they're far from locost about 30k for a chassis a couple of seasons ago!they handle bloody well as long as the passenger holds on!wouldn't have many radius iva problems i guess!
blakep82

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
how would they handle on a motorway without the 'passenger' though? or around town when turning left
yeah, never thought they'd be cheap lol, but would be an interesting project lol

StrikerChris

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
You want to see the state of them after 3 laps of the isle of man,shaken to bits and that roads like glass compared to the roads round here!gutted i never got a go on the side tho,and would love to see one on the road!type in team (i think) tt to youtube,awesome onboard! Actually team teebee sidecar

[Edited on 8/2/11 by StrikerChris]

blakep82

posted on 8/2/11 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
f*ck me!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL8ScJnDfAU

i can imagine they'd be shaken to bits lol, but they're going a bit faster than we do here

so, looking at licensing, that would be classed as a trike wouldn't it? meaning you could drive one with a car license? seems a bit mental lol

[Edited on 8/2/11 by blakep82]

StrikerChris

posted on 9/2/11 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
And their only f2's at the mann,600cc lol.as for licencing what about the conventional motorcycle and sidecar?could you get away with that or does the passenger ahem compartment have to be detachable?
blakep82

posted on 9/2/11 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
i really don't know. i imagine it would be a trike as the side car doesn't come off, its alwaysa going to have 3 wheels. where a conventional bike and sidecar can be converted back to a bike easy enough i guess, but thats the question i asked at the start lol, would it be registered as a trike?

MK9R

posted on 9/2/11 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Ask Andy Bates, he was virtually born as a side car If you ever have chance ask him about his career in side cars, fascinating and terrifying!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MikeCapon

posted on 9/2/11 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
IMO it would be registered as a trike but having done two seasons on one over here there is no way on God's little earth I would go anywhere near a road on one.

Le Mans 2004 - I am the idiot draped over the rear end

:

matt_claydon

posted on 9/2/11 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Not a trike, they have to have "symmetrically arranged wheels". It's a motorcycle with sidecar if anything, but may fall foul of other definitions. Check MSVA guide and manual for details.

[Edited on 9/2/11 by matt_claydon]

MK9R

posted on 9/2/11 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
IMO it would be registered as a trike but having done two seasons on one over here there is no way on God's little earth I would go anywhere near a road on one.

Le Mans 2004 - I am the idiot draped over the rear end

:

I cannot imagine how mental that must be!!!! I'd love a go!!!!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Triton

posted on 9/2/11 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Me too, It's always been one of those things I wanted to try then family/kids came along so I settled for watching. Mallory Park is awesome place to watch outfits and my hat is off to those that have and still race those beasts.

UMMMMMM http://www.merlinsidecars.co.uk/

[Edited on 9/2/11 by Triton]

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

MikeCapon

posted on 9/2/11 at 08:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Triton
Me too, It's always been one of those things I wanted to try then family/kids came along so I settled for watching.
[Edited on 9/2/11 by Triton]

That's no excuse Mr Triton I was 47 years old in the above piccy

Triton

posted on 9/2/11 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Blimey hats off to you mate.... I couldn't do it now though as shoulders wouldn't cope.......

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

Peteff

posted on 9/2/11 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
I saw one on the A515 near Ashbourne last year with 2 on board. It was definitely not road registered though, I think they were trying it out before IOM. You'd be pushed to get lights on it to comply with regulations and you would not be very comfortable either getting run over all the time by lorries and 4x4 drivers. The configuration means it is a sidecar outfit so registering it as a trike might be a problem plus to be a sidecar it has to be removable to leave a separate bike which is why Dniepr with powered sidecar were never accepted over here.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

blakep82

posted on 9/2/11 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
yeah looked through the manual, and it says 3 symetrically arranged wheels don't really fancy having to get a bike licence, so i'll make this another 'idea' to put the with other 15 or 20....

it would be pretty awesome though. as for having a shot on the back of one racing, i think you really have to know what you're doing!

scootz

posted on 9/2/11 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
I was chatting to Andy Bates at Autosport about my intended trike project.

Very helpful guy!

It's Evolution Baby!

blakep82

posted on 9/2/11 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
ha ha awesome

link

tony-devon

posted on 9/2/11 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
why would you need a bike license for a trike?

pretty sure thats only if you have recently passed your car test, cant remember what way round it is, but 99% sure that your car license covers them, but new bike ones dont

however as you have already found it wouldnt be MSVA as a trike due to the layout.

heavy is good, heavy is reliable, and if it breaks, hit them with it

blakep82

posted on 9/2/11 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
no, i can drive a trike on my car license, but as a sidecars wouldn't pass MSVA, it wouldn't be a trike, but instead a sidecar, which is a bike license.

if registerable at all actually, it says 3 wheeled vehicles where all 3 wheels layout are symetical. doesn't say about a permanantly 3 wheeled vehicle where they're not symetrical... will need to study further. also will need to finish this pick up of mine first, then get a house with a garage big enough to house all my cars, and afford that, then start on either the legends car, the sidecar or the modernised bentley s3... lol and the mini tractor, something with hydraulics, and the push along gritting machine for next winter

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.