Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any others out there suffer from "Measureitis"
Ivan

posted on 23/3/12 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Any others out there suffer from "Measureitis"

I have come to the conclusion that I have a severe case of measureitis - every time I measure something the result is different - measure twice and cut once definitely doesn't work for me Its more a case of measure five times cut oversize then sand and grind until it fits and then it still ends up wrong

And as for drilling matching holes - no chance unless I make them slightly over size.

I'm glad I never chose to be a precision machinist - I'd still be restricted to collecting the swarf for others.

And now another problem - I can't read verniers any more without a magnifying glass - guess I will have to invest in some digital measuring instruments even if their ownership won't help my problem.

Ninehigh

posted on 23/3/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I think I've measured one thing in my life that's been right when I cut it

femster87

posted on 23/3/12 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote

Thats definitely me. I can seem to get a cut right at the first go. So i end up cutting it bigger and trimming as I go along with several trips between the worktop and trial fitting the item am cutting

dhutch

posted on 23/3/12 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Its more a case of measure five times cut oversize then sand and grind until it fits ....
I've been fighting this a lot recently, i can cut things right, but have a massive urge to measure it all really carfully and the cut it oversize and spend the next 20minutes reducing it to the origanal measurment. Not so much on the car, but on bits on the house. Grrrr!

Daniel

probablyleon

posted on 23/3/12 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Fantastic... Me too. There should be more posts like this. Most of the time I spend on this forum is spent feeling slightly inadequate, everyone else on here always seem so knowledgable, confident and competent
Irony

posted on 23/3/12 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
I struggle constantly with this. Nothing I cut seems straight - either in wood or metal. I am just plain rubbish with hand tools full stop. The only way I have found to overcome the problem is to use mitre saws or cross cut saws.
TimEllershaw

posted on 23/3/12 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
While I can happily measure stuff, I can only remember the size while I'm still holding the tape measure. As soon as I put the tape down or turn away from the piece, I will instantly forget what I've just measured.

quote:
Originally posted by probablyleon
...Most of the time I spend on this forum is spent feeling slightly inadequate, everyone else on here always seem so knowledgable, confident and competent

I completely agree - the skill levels of others on here always amaze me.

http://www.teenagecancertrust.org/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ivan

posted on 23/3/12 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I'm sure we won't find the likes of Fred WB experiencing these problems

And yes Tim - my memory is also incredibly short for things like this - that's why a pencil & paper is always at hand.

[Edited on 23/3/12 by Ivan]

splitrivet

posted on 23/3/12 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
This is a well known disease and can lead to metricimperialitis where you take measurements in both formats ie its 567mm wide, 48 inches long then you mix the two up. Best to dose yourself up with 3 pints of Pedigree and a couple of vodka tonics and sit on a step outside the garage till it passes.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

TimEllershaw

posted on 23/3/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan

- that's why a pencil & paper is always at hand.

[Edited on 23/3/12 by Ivan]

I moved house in October and my new garage walls are peppered with dimensions, sketches and cryptic notes from the previous owner. I'd love to know what they are for !

[Edited on 23/3/2012 by TimEllershaw]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 23/3/12 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I'm sure we won't find the likes of Fred WB experiencing these problems

Thanks for the credit Ivan but we all have these problems. I've also got to the stage where I cant read the mm scale on a steel rule without glasses.

I managed to make a cabinet to fit into a space in my moms kitchen 300 mm too narrow. When measuring up I read the tape upside down so wrote 600 instead of 900 on the sketch.

Went away, had the boards and top cut, made up the whole thing and found a big gap when I went to fit it.....

But I was able to save the suituation as a friend had an offcut of counter top that was 900 long so put that on offset to one side and the gap between the cupboards was just a nice size to store her vacuum so it looked like I'd planned it that way.

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 23/3/12 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Ivan

posted on 23/3/12 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^ Even the best go wrong
avagolen

posted on 23/3/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote

I managed to make a cabinet to fit into a space in my moms kitchen 300 mm too narrow. When measuring up I read the tape upside down so wrote 600 instead of 900 on the sketch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is awesome - I still cannot see clearly through the tears....

I am so glad it is not a unique problem, but a very selective form of confidence reduction.
It gets everyone who likes to try and do a great job.

I definitly cut long and them trim to get a good fit. Lots of trips to the vice, workbench etc and the car.

Measure 3 or more times, change from metric to imperial and back again to get closer to the larger graticule lines on the rule, cut once, trim lots and lots of times. - then start again......

Len.

[Edited on 23/3/12 by avagolen]

The Answer for everything, but never the last word....

MikeR

posted on 23/3/12 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
On the days I'm allowed into the garage I get frustrated when cutting things at an angle.

If its a straight 90 cut its not too bad - i do what others do, but i invariable struggle when cutting something that has an angle on each end. I aways seem to end up with a part that has the right angle on each end but is 10mm too short. Frustrates the heck out of me and I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I'm almost tempted to get some form of dual ruler so it takes each measurement at the same time.

Love to know what i'm doing wrong.

GeoffT

posted on 23/3/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
I always figure that if NASA can get it wrong with the Hubble telescope, then mere mortals like ourselves are allowed the odd mistake or two......or several....
JeffHs

posted on 23/3/12 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Glad I'm not alone. I now wear pound shop glasses to see the tape measure but if I walk across the garage with the glasses on I can't see where I'm going so I take them off then lose them. As my recently departed father-in-law said
'There's no future in getting old.'

Stott

posted on 23/3/12 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimEllershaw

I moved house in October and my new garage walls are peppered with dimensions, sketches and cryptic notes from the previous owner. I'd love to know what they are for !

The secret basement under your house that he now lives in

bartonp

posted on 23/3/12 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
TIP: Never trust the 'hook' end of a retractable tape measure.....
scudderfish

posted on 23/3/12 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT
I always figure that if NASA can get it wrong with the Hubble telescope, then mere mortals like ourselves are allowed the odd mistake or two......or several....

Their error was 0.0022mm. I'd be happy with errors 1000x greater than that

TimEllershaw

posted on 23/3/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffT

Their error was 0.0022mm. I'd be happy with errors 1000x greater than that

Geoff may have been thinking of the Mars Orbiter, where NASA used imperial and a subcontractor used metric measurements and it crashed : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

GeoffT

posted on 23/3/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Geoff may have been thinking of the Mars Orbiter, where NASA used imperial and a subcontractor used metric measurements and it crashed

.....was really referring to the grinding error on the Hubble mirror, (0.0022mm..! downright sloppy if you ask me) but your example will do just as well.....

blakep82

posted on 23/3/12 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
i measure out to drill a hole, pick up drill, hold it to the piece, remember measure twice, cut ones, drill down, measure again, same result, check everything, all looks good, pick up drill, drill correctly, stand back, and its wrong... how does that work?!

Description
Description

you wouldn't beleive how many times i checked, double checked and triple checked before drilling the holes for the side lights and indicators (i know they're tiny, but very bright) and they don't look symetrical...

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

owelly

posted on 23/3/12 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I get really annoyed when I take a measurement, remember it, transfer it to whatever I'm cutting, suare it with the set square, cut it then it doesn't fit. Then I notice that the mark I'd squared isn't the correct one.......
And I'm having major problems with my memory. I can measure summat under the car, get up to write it down and think "that doesn't look right". So meadure again. So then I get up again but now I have two sets of numbers in my head so have to climb back under the car with a bit of chalk and write it on the floor as I always lose pens, pencils and paper!
I now struggle to see vernier scales so bought some £6 digi calipers from Aldi. Then I bought some more because I've forgotten where I put the first set.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

Fred W B

posted on 24/3/12 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If its a straight 90 cut its not too bad - i do what others do, but i invariable struggle when cutting something that has an angle on each end. I aways seem to end up with a part that has the right angle on each end but is 10mm too short. Frustrates the heck out of me and I can't see what I'm doing wrong. I'm almost tempted to get some form of dual ruler so it takes each measurement at the same time.

Assumming you are working in square tube what you can do is:

Find an offcut of material a bit shorter than the part needs to be.
Fold up some thin card to the box shape and tape it to both ends of the material to make a longer "dummy" tube.
Fit up this dummy tube using scissors.
If you make a mistake you can move the card up the tube or tape a bit more on.
Once the dummy tube fits well transfer the shape of each side to a new piece of material and cut carefully just outside your lines, finishing with a file.

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.