Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Driving unregistered car to MOT station.
Wizzzbang

posted on 28/9/20 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Driving unregistered car to MOT station.

I have not been here for a few years. Long enough that I cannot rememeber my user name or login.

I have come back for some advice. I never got round to my Kitcar build but have gone down another route. I have imported an Evo 9 from Japan. I am now getting organised to have it registerd. I need to get it MOT'd before going to the DVLA. I know you can drive a car un-taxed to a booked MOT, but I want to know are you allowed to drive it unregisterd to a booked MOT? I have got the Evo insured on its VIN number.

Thanks for any advice offered.
Wizzbang.

snapper

posted on 28/9/20 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
It will need insurance

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Wizzzbang

posted on 28/9/20 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
It will need insurance

It's insured on the VIN number.

Dingz

posted on 28/9/20 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Can they Mot it if it is unregistered?

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

Wizzzbang

posted on 28/9/20 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dingz
Can they Mot it if it is unregistered?

They MOT against the VIN number. A copy of the MOT certificate goes to the DVLA with all of the import papers for registration.

nick205

posted on 29/9/20 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting question.

I need a car MoT'ing before I sell it. It's not taxed or insured, but I'm fortunate enough to have a relation who can trailer it to the MoT and back for me. The garage I'm using for the MoT were very helpful over the phone before I booked the MoT on what was legally allowed and not. You may find it helpful to speak with your chosen MoT garage for similar advice.

Wizzzbang

posted on 29/9/20 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Interesting question.

I need a car MoT'ing before I sell it. It's not taxed or insured, but I'm fortunate enough to have a relation who can trailer it to the MoT and back for me. The garage I'm using for the MoT were very helpful over the phone before I booked the MoT on what was legally allowed and not. You may find it helpful to speak with your chosen MoT garage for similar advice.

They are next on my list. I can only assume all new Kitcar builds are trailered to their IVA test.

jps

posted on 29/9/20 at 11:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wizzzbang
quote:
Interesting question.

They are next on my list. I can only assume all new Kitcar builds are trailered to their IVA test.

I think some people drive their kit to IVA, there’s an argument you can get away with it, but equally you might get pulled over and find a nightmare unfolding. A definitive statement isn’t likely to be available as far as I can see (you might be able to get an email from someone at DVLA/VOSA/ etc although given Covid I don’t expect you will any time soon) , so either you risk it or don’t.

nick205

posted on 29/9/20 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by Wizzzbang
quote:
Interesting question.

I think some people drive their kit to IVA, there’s an argument you can get away with it, but equally you might get pulled over and find a nightmare unfolding. A definitive statement isn’t likely to be available as far as I can see (you might be able to get an email from someone at DVLA/VOSA/ etc although given Covid I don’t expect you will any time soon) , so either you risk it or don’t.

Some years ago now and SVA (pre IVA) at the time. I drove my MK Indy to the test unregistered with no plates on it. Insured on the VIN and I had all the SVA paperwork with me. I also had my dad following in his car in case of breakdown. No issue at all getting there, my dad left me for the actual test and I drove home the same, again no issue getting home.

I then had to trailer the car to the DVLA check and wait a week or so for the registration paperwork to arrive. Once that arrived I got the plates made at Halfords and got driving in the MK Indy.

There may well be different rules for unregistered tin tops. That said there were a string of unregistered tin tops being driven into the Southampton SVA centre (straight off the ships) whilst I was there for registration inspections. One person in each car driving it.

[Edited on 29/9/20 by nick205]

SteveWalker

posted on 29/9/20 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Definitely back at the end of SVA days, SVA was one of the "Mandatory Inspections" (if I remember the wording correctly), that permitted an untaxed, unregistered vehicle to be driven to and from it, but stupidly, once you'd passed SVA, the DVLA inspection before registering, was not and vehicles had to be trailered there and back. I was lucky, I don't know if someone was bored and wanted a trip out, but when I sent paperwork in to get a VIN assigned prior to SVA, someone from the local office came out to have a look - so I had no need to take my passed car to the DVLA centre after SVA, only the paperwork.
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 29/9/20 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
My understanding/interpretation (and advised by MOT station that I repeatedly use) is that you are legally allowed to drive an untaxed vehicle to a pre-booked test, as long as the vehicle is insured.

I once got pulled over on the A12 for no tax or MOT on a vehicle; when I explained to the officer that it was being driven to a pre-booked test, I was let on my way after they made note of the vehicle, my contact details, and that of the MOT centre I was using, and my promise that it would be taxed as soon as vehicle passed. I never heard anything more of it.

On the basis that you can't register or tax the vehicle without an MOT, and not everyone has access to a trailer or similar, then as long as you've got a pre-arranged test, then it shouldn't be an issue. Insurance can be done on the chassis number, so guess it's all dependant on that?

But as others have said, I would contact your MOT centre, and ask them what their thoughts are, and also conformation (text/e-mail etc.) of your test day and time.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

gremlin1234

posted on 29/9/20 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
Definitely back at the end of SVA days, SVA was one of the "Mandatory Inspections" (if I remember the wording correctly), that permitted an untaxed, unregistered vehicle to be driven to and from it, but stupidly, once you'd passed SVA, the DVLA inspection before registering, was not and vehicles had to be trailered there and back....

I think the wording was a 'statutory test'

SteveWalker

posted on 29/9/20 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
Probably - it was many years ago and although I have a pretty good memory, it's not that good

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.