Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Injector values VW guru needed
corrado vr6

posted on 1/5/21 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Injector values VW guru needed

Hi again

So continuing on from my MK4 golf issue, it’s now running and idles lovely however it will not rev past 1800 rpm.

The engine starts to buck and shake.

It’s been on Vag com diagnostics but only fault was crank position sensor which has been changed.

I changed the injector loom for a known working one but still no better.

The injector values I have are below. Do these look correct for a PD150 ARL engine?

Piston 1

Piston 2

Piston 3

Piston 4

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

obfripper

posted on 1/5/21 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Cylinder 4 injector is looking weak, it's worth checking you have the adjustment for the injector follower correctly set.

You need the injector being adjusted to be at the full stroke position (a dial gauge is recommended to find this), then screw in the adjuster to a stop, then wind back 180° and tighten up the locknut.

It should still rev up with 3 working injectors though, the egr valve isn't partially open or airflow meter not working/or pipework not connected correctly?

Dave

corrado vr6

posted on 2/5/21 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Dave
Thanks for your reply. We believe everything to be piped up correctly. We have checked many times!
We shall re-check the injector adjustments.
Egr has been deleted, this was done many years ago.

The car had sat for 8 months whilst the engine was rebuilt. So thinking a cheap fix could be to drain the diesel and put fresh in and change the fuel filter again. A mate has a spare MAF sensor to try, but unplugging the MAF didn’t help and doesn’t show up on diagnostics

obfripper

posted on 2/5/21 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Unplugging the maf should put the engine into limp mode, but it should still rev to redline.

Check if the lift pump in the tank working correctly, it should supply approx 2l per minute when manually powered up and fed into a container directly from the connector at the tank.
Check the pressure in the line supplying the tandem pump after the filter, should be approx 10psi/0.7bar both static and when running.

If that is all ok, check the pressure at the tandem pump test port, this shoule be minimum 50psi/3.5bar at idle, rising to 105psi/7.5bar at 4000rpm.(you may need a damped gauge to get a steady reading here.)

I have had issues with plugged filters before, but is usually where the car has been swapped between veg oil/diesel/biodiesel.

Do you know if when the egr was mapped out whether some fault codes have also been mapped out?

Another thought which may show up with the lift pump tests, is there lots of algae in the fuel where the car has been stood. I've had several where the pickup filter in the tank has been solid with algae and would not pass any fuel at all.

Dave

corrado vr6

posted on 2/5/21 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again, sounds like I have a few things to check!

If the fuel is dirty (algae) is it just a case of draining and refilling with fresh diesel?

obfripper

posted on 2/5/21 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Fully clean the pickup filter, replace if contaminated internally(quite common) . Check inside tank, drain and clean as necessary, use a diesel biocide additive to kill off any remaining algae etc.
If you treat the removed fuel and allow it to settle(needs to look crystal clear), the good diesel left on top can be decanted and used again, the treatment will breakdown/separate the organic matter and allow it to settle to the bottom.

Have a read here for some effective additives.
https://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/12-diesel-bug-treatments-tested-43353

Dave

corrado vr6

posted on 9/5/21 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
It’s looking like it’s the lift pump in the tank.
If I tap the tank enough times it will rev up. Getting another pump in there.
Thanks for your help

quote:
Originally posted by obfripper
Unplugging the maf should put the engine into limp mode, but it should still rev to redline.

Check if the lift pump in the tank working correctly, it should supply approx 2l per minute when manually powered up and fed into a container directly from the connector at the tank.
Check the pressure in the line supplying the tandem pump after the filter, should be approx 10psi/0.7bar both static and when running.

If that is all ok, check the pressure at the tandem pump test port, this shoule be minimum 50psi/3.5bar at idle, rising to 105psi/7.5bar at 4000rpm.(you may need a damped gauge to get a steady reading here.)

I have had issues with plugged filters before, but is usually where the car has been swapped between veg oil/diesel/biodiesel.

Do you know if when the egr was mapped out whether some fault codes have also been mapped out?

Another thought which may show up with the lift pump tests, is there lots of algae in the fuel where the car has been stood. I've had several where the pickup filter in the tank has been solid with algae and would not pass any fuel at all.

Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.