Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What's your daily driver
Mr Whippy

posted on 13/5/22 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
What's your daily driver

Hi,

Since I'm sitting here waiting on the 3d printer starting, I thought I'd do a what's your daily driver thread just out of curiosity and plain noseyness...

I'll start with my old Fiesta which I find quite funny, as at age 17 I also had a very old Fiesta and now at age 49, I still have very old Fiesta! oh dear

This seems to echo my friend at the times question of "if we know so much about cars, why is it we are driving the worst ones?!?" why indeed...

Although my first one was free and this "upgrade" cost me £230 so heading in the right direction

Those wondering what happened to the Leaf? the wife drives that now as her own car fell apart and the Fiesta suits my commute better.

Believe or not I plan on doing a tour round Europe in this thing

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slater

posted on 13/5/22 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
mine's a very boring but very practical 2012 VW Passat Estate, 2.0 Diesel. Quite happy with the thing and it will be kept till it falls apart.

Why do they call Port Harcourt "The Garden City"?...... Becauase they can't spell Stramash.

HowardB

posted on 13/5/22 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
a 63 plate merc that has >100k miles and still turns in an average of 63mpg

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

Benzine

posted on 13/5/22 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Skoda Yeti. Great car and just nudged over 100k but need something less thirsty. Not that it's really that bad, just because 2022.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snapper

posted on 13/5/22 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Fiesta ST150, 2 x gearboxes, 1st engine rebuilt and ready to replace the second engine, rebuilt rear axle ready to go in when I can be asked, 165k miles

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

roadrunner

posted on 13/5/22 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Audi A6 avant tractor engined power.
Great car for what it's designed to do. But it's missing quattro drive, semi-autamatic and a super charger.

[Edited on 13/5/22 by roadrunner]

rf900rush

posted on 13/5/22 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
BMW E46 325i Touring

And one of these on dry days
With a monster 11 horse power
I do get 120mpg

TNT
TNT

Simon

posted on 14/5/22 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rf900rush

With a monster 11 horse power
I do get 120mpg

Love the TNT - spesh the green version, but also like the Grom (not the latest though).

On topic, got my fourth (and cheapest) Grand Espace. Got bullied and paid off from last job so couldn't justify keeping Insignia Estate which was fine as Cazoo gave me £1160 more than I paid for it with 15,000 fewer miles

Espace is great - 149,600 miles, original everything (major at least). Did have to replace part of the wiper mech as press fitted parts had come loose resulting in driver's wiper falling off edge of screen. Could probably do with tracking. Loads of space, very comfortable handles quite well for a barge.

Probably my favourite car (daily driver) of all time (my proper fave is SD1 Vitesse )

belgian2b

posted on 14/5/22 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Hello,

3 weeks now that i have my BMW i4 40.

Quite different , but fine for what i do with it.

Autonomy is around 480 - 500 km . Reduced from a thirs with a big heavy trailer.

Gerardo

indykid

posted on 14/5/22 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
I run a '96 mk1 MX5 (59k miles 1.8 Harvard after an 18 month resto, retrofitted s-special accessories so it's not poverty spec anymore)

I've had a mk1 as a daily driver for the last 13 years, on my third now. First one written off in an accident, second one retired at 200k miles after running it for 10 years.

Not really sure what else I'd want if I had to find something else. It's just a good job I'm working from home most of the time because the fuel economy would kill me. That said, SWMBO's petrol CRV doesn't do much better.

perksy

posted on 14/5/22 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
We have a 2017 Mazda CX3 Sportive and a 2016 Mini Cooper Convertible
SteveWalker

posted on 14/5/22 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
A model B Zafira. As a family of 5 and a DIYer, the 7 seats (to accommodate friends), space for items/materials and the ability to tow made it a good choice.

We are currently looking at a Hyundai Kona EV to replace my wife's Matiz - in which case, I'll drive the Kona for commuting, etc. and my wife will keep the Zafira as towing/long distance/7-seat/capacity vehicle, as she drives only rarely and it'll cost very little in fuel.

David Jenkins

posted on 14/5/22 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Kia e-Niro (fully electric). To put it simply, it does exactly what I want it to do - no more, no less.

It's been a while since I've been happy with a car, but this is very, very close. I used to have a second-generation Nissan Leaf, and I hated it. This one is just fine and I enjoy driving it (I haven't owned many cars I can say that about).

My wife now has a Renault Zoe and I must admit that it's a good car - a little small for me, but ideal for her.

40inches

posted on 14/5/22 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy AJ30, Sold the SAAB 9-5 as only did 450miles in the last year.
Description
Description

mcerd1

posted on 14/5/22 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
still the increasingly rusty old C-Max for me...

definitely time for a replacement, but the prices are too crazy at the moment

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
MK Indy AJ30...

^thats just showing off

-

computid

posted on 14/5/22 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
2010 Mazda 6 GH Sport 2.2d Estate. 6 speed manual, Bose sound package, and I retrofitted an Apple Car Play head unit. I bought it for £550 + £100 delivery in 2019 on 162k miles and parked it up. I sold my Range Rover in 2020 and just wanted a stop-gap so I put it back on the road, and found that its actually quite a nice place to be! It's up to 180k miles now. I change the oil & filter every 12k miles, and otherwise the only work its needed has been:

- 3x new brake callipers as the old ones had seized (£160 pattern parts, plus £30~ of sliding pins, clips, fluid, etc.)
- 4x brake discs (£120)
- complete set of brake pads (£70)
- High pressure diesel vacuum servo (£45)
- 3 Tyres (£310)
- A replacement auto-headlight adjustment rod and ball joints (made my own) (£30)
- Various bulbs (£10)
- Nearside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint (fixed by a garage as I was too busy) (£120)

So £895 of works, plus a £180 head unit, means that I've spent a total of £1725 on what has so far been 18k miles of motoring, making an average of about 9p per mile in vehicle cost.

It gets 40mpg, and I've spent £3170.90 on fuel over the past 18k miles. Insurance is £220~ per year, and road tax is £220, so I've spent £440 on insurance, and £440 on road tax. So that means so far, I've spent a total of £5775.90, meaning an average of 32p per mile over the past 18k miles all in. If we factor in the current value of the vehicle, which according to eBay pricing seems to be around £1200 given its age and condition, that drops to around 25p per mile. Given the current average cost per mile of owning a car in the UK is apparently 47p, I'm pretty happy with my cost!

Also, to be honest, the fact that I can throw anything in it, drive it almost anywhere, park it without worrying about it, and just generally have a more care free view on car ownership has actually been really nice. I'm about to start commuting around 250 miles each week so I suppose we'll see how it holds up then!

[Edited on 14/5/22 by computid]

40inches

posted on 14/5/22 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

quote:
Originally posted by 40inches
MK Indy AJ30...

^thats just showing off

No! It's the only car I have when the wife is at work

mark chandler

posted on 14/5/22 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
2013 XC70 D5

Had it maybe 7 years now, it’s been amazing fast, roomy very powerful when towing with a great stereo.

contaminated

posted on 15/5/22 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
BMW M240i vert is the daily. Bearing in mind it's a 70 mile round trip to work it's not the most sensible choice, but it's much better than the scooby it replaced. It's done a couple of track days too.

Also have an MX5 NC (although we've effectively given that to our daughter in law as of this weekend) and a Qashqai. Might replace the NC with another, newer one (debating the ND, but there is something about the NC I love) or a 500 Abarth cab.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

nick205

posted on 15/5/22 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slater
mine's a very boring but very practical 2012 VW Passat Estate, 2.0 Diesel. Quite happy with the thing and it will be kept till it falls apart.

Had 2 of these myself. One a company car and one a private car. Loved them, cavernous boot, reasonable economy and they just trundled on and on.

Now unable to drive (epilepsy) so it's feet bus and train.

b14wrc

posted on 15/5/22 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
My daily is an 2008 Audi R8 V8 manual with 35k miles on it, fortunately I work from home most of the time which reduces my fuel bill and keeps the miles off it. Just home from a Sunday blast with my 5 year old son, very pleasant afternoon out.

Have a 2016 Landrover Discovery sport HSE black edition for the family wagon.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

b14wrc

posted on 15/5/22 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
What you printing today mr Whippy?

ken555

posted on 15/5/22 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I went back to my youth, and bought a Japanese, AWD, Turbo.

Well ok a few more details, 2.5L Diesel

b14wrc

posted on 15/5/22 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had a mk2 fiesta as my first car, was 15 and had a popular plus, made it look like an XR2 and painted it yellow.

scudderfish

posted on 15/5/22 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
A Kia Stinger. It's quick, quiet and rare.
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.