Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gas torch
myke pocock

posted on 20/7/22 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Gas torch

I am looking to purchase a gas torch that uses disposable gas canisters that I can use for soldering but also for heating up items eg; rusted nuts so it will need to have a good range of adjustment. Any recommendations please.
obfripper

posted on 21/7/22 at 07:01 AM Reply With Quote
Something that uses mapp gas has a good temperature range, certainly hot enough to solder and braze and get steel red hot, screwfix & toolstation both sell bernzomatic torches and gas refills.

Dave

indykid

posted on 21/7/22 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
Rothenberger superfire 2 from ebay. I got mine for about £50 (instead of about £80 in screwfix) and then bought the swirl nozzle from a plumber's merchants separately for about another tenner for doing more detail work.

It's not cheap for a one off job, but everything's quality, rebuildable with spares available and runs propane and MAPP.

With the brazing nozzle and a can of MAPP gas, it's quite formidable for its size

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/7/22 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Another vote for MAPP, I bought mine off fleabay, could be a monument or faithful? Can't remember, but simlar to a Rotherburger one but rather cheaper.
Auto ignition is fab, and gas is easily available from toolstation etc.

Don't bother with the cheaper gas types, nowhere near as hot or convenient.

JAG

posted on 21/7/22 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I got this plus a cannister of gas...

B&Q Gas Torch

B&Q Gas Bottle

It works perfectly for the stuff you mention and the both items are less than £25 and available from B&Q.

I've had mine for 3 or 4 years and never needed to replace the cylinder yet - but I use it maybe 3 times a year.

[Edited on 21/7/22 by JAG]

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

indykid

posted on 21/7/22 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not condoning their use and to do so would be entirely at your own risk, but if you buy a torch that uses the rothernberger/bernzomatic professional size bottles, adaptors are available for about £7-8 so they can be refilled quite adequately from an inverted full size Calor etc. propane bottle. It makes a refill about 50p instead of £15 for a new bottle.

If I were to do it, I might mark the refill numbers and life the cylinders as they're not intended to be refilled (and you would have to willfully remove the check valve from under the valve to refill them), but youtube has plenty of videos on the practice for reference. If you work in a commercial environment, have a word with the onsite plumbers as they'll probably get through a fair number of bottles and will be happy to save their empties for you.

nick205

posted on 21/7/22 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a Bernzomatic kit that's similar looking to the B&Q link. It does fine for soldering plumbing joints and lighting fires etc. Not tried anything else with it though.

I got it as a boxed kit from Screfix or Toolstation (forget which) a few years back for about £20. I needed to do some plumbing work at home. I don't think you can get replacement gas cans though so I'll have to get a can from B&Q or similar when mine runs out.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.