Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tracks to play on near Nottingham
SteveWallace

posted on 13/6/14 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Tracks to play on near Nottingham

Now that the Viento is on the road, I would like to find somewhere where I can test the performance and handling. Until I've had a proper play and got used to the car, I don't want to risk a proper circuit with hard Armco barriers and the formally organised airfield track days all seem a long way away (unless I've missed one).

Are there any airfields that will allow testing or access for a general play in the Nottingham/Derby area? For example, I drove past Darley Moor Circuit near to Ashbourne this afternoon. When I Googled it I found that its owned by a bike club and they do bike track days, so I've sent them an e-mail to see if they would allow any sort of access for kit car testing.

owelly

posted on 13/6/14 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
I remember Darley Moor as having hillocks to crash into!
Blyton Park too far?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
19sac65

posted on 13/6/14 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Donnington , Bruntingthorpe or Curborough ??
Irony

posted on 13/6/14 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
Blyton is past my house, bit of a trek for you Steve. However its where Great British Sports cars (robin hood) test theirs. saw one coming home from there they other day. Maybe its the closest to them
SteveWallace

posted on 14/6/14 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 19sac65
Donnington , Bruntingthorpe or Curborough ??

Bruntingthorpe and Curborough are good spots, both about 45minutes away from me so I'll look into those. Donnington is out for the moment as I want to test the limits of the grip somewhere where spinning off won't mean a re-build so that limits me to large run off areas and tracks that are delineated by traffic cones.

Blyton is about an hour and a half away, so maybe one day.

The Viento is so different to a tin top that it feels like I am learning to drive all over again

[Edited on 14/6/14 by SteveWallace]

HowardB

posted on 14/6/14 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
would be interested in what you find, I am in Leicester and perhaps we can get a few people together for something,..?

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

SCAR

posted on 14/6/14 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Donington would be fine, with a modicum of care I don't think you would be likely to be hitting any Armco. Did my first trackday there in a Westie, had one spin in the worst possible place and didn't hit anything.
Donny would certainly be much better than Darley due to the extra track width and proper run off areas.
I'm just doing some rewiring on my Viento but would like to try it on track later this summer.

SteveWallace

posted on 14/6/14 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HowardB
would be interested in what you find, I am in Leicester and perhaps we can get a few people together for something,..?

Darley Moor got back to me and apparently their local authority permission only covers bikes and not cars, so that's one of the list.

I'll see what I can come up with and report back as it looks as though a few of us in the area might be interested in a get together.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.