Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wheels
peter030371

posted on 22/9/14 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Wheels

Just had my new 13" wheels arrive for the Striker (Pro Race 1.2, £100 each off ebay and delivered next day, very good service)......sooooo close to fitting with no mods but just a fraction too close on the top ears and rose joint of the rear uprights (IRS car)

I need to drop the rose joint just a couple of mm and shave the same of the ears, not difficult but does mean breaking the nice new coating and repainting them!

Best get the files out later in the week and get whittling

bi22le

posted on 22/9/14 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
I thought they fitted on Rose joined strikers.

The problem worth my non RJ chassis is the bottom part of the rear upright. It's too wide. I have to shave down the bolt head and nuts a smidging.

I have decided to stock with 14" and R888 for now.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

loggyboy

posted on 22/9/14 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I had some spacers machined for my striker that may suit rather than fettling. I don't need them anymore, It was when I was planning to use drums (which needed spacing off to suit backplates) but the idea never worked trying to use hybrid shafts so was simpler to switch to discs.
They sit between upright and bearing carrier, I THINK have 10mm and 20mm versions. But may have sold one pair.

Mistral Motorsport

peter030371

posted on 22/9/14 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
Difficult to explain so I will snap a couple of pictures tomorrow. My uprights are not standard anyway (but then whats 'standard' mean on a kit car ) and the top rose joint is bigger in diameter than the original metalastic bushes
Jenko

posted on 28/9/14 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Could you shave the rose joint down a little, there is typically plenty of meat on them (obviously not too much).

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

peter030371

posted on 29/9/14 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
Got some 5mm spacers which helps but now I am worried about the length of my wheel studs! The rose joint is still close but not touching, how much space is enough?

Trial fitted a caliper (sierra type) and they just foul on the hand brake mechanism. Not the spring (which is very close but I have some lower springs to fit) but on the 'hook' that the handbrake cable goes over. I have never fitted/ used these calipers before so when they are fitted and setup does this lever have some pre-tension on it?

loggyboy

posted on 29/9/14 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Pictures will tell a thousand words!

Mistral Motorsport

peter030371

posted on 29/9/14 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I know they do Will try and get some at lunch time.....
peter030371

posted on 29/9/14 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Right got a picture of the offending little bugger

Caliper foul
Caliper foul

Fitted the shorter spring and that is all fine but that hook just rubs against the inside of my wheel Once set up with a cable fitted is this 'pre-loaded at all'? I suspect not as you don't have a huge range though.

Only thing I can think off is to cut the hook off and re-weld a new hook just 5mm further back Seems a bit drastic and I haven't heard of anyone else having to do this to fit 13" wheels

Had a look at the top rose joint (can just see the rubber boot over it in the picture) and as has been pointed out loads of 'meat' in it so I can file that down a couple of mm. Its just about clear now with the 5mm wheel spacer but I would be happier with another mm or 2 of space.

peter030371

posted on 30/9/14 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Any ideas? Can't see how my callipers are positioned any different to others so how come I have not heard of this before with 13" wheels
loggyboy

posted on 30/9/14 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried with hand brake cablecfully installed? It may pull it in slightly even when on its loosest position.

Mistral Motorsport

Jenko

posted on 1/10/14 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
I think many have had issues with 13inch wheels on Sylva cars. I know I did, I ended up going down the hispec route which has a small spot handbrake pad integral to the caliper, very thin caliper that easily accomodates a 13inch wheel. Thats said, I also needed to re-weld the caliper bracket!.

As previously mentioned, are you sure this part of the mech does not get pulled in when the cable is installed. Also to consider is the wheels....I've noticed there is a fair amount of difference between rims and the inner diameter. For example, my recently purcased Compomotive CXR's have around 5mm additional inner diameter than the image wheels currently on the car. Worth looking at.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

peter030371

posted on 1/10/14 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the comments

I have been thinking along the same lines and yesterday dug out the handbrake cables so I can get that connected up and see if it helps.

The wheels are Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 and I believe most say they have a lot of clearance.

I have seen the Hi-spec calipers when I last popped into Fury Sportscars but spending more money is a last resort and if I did go down that route the Wilwood Powerlite is also an option but many doubt the power of the handbrake system on them....either way I would have to make up mounting brackets for new calipers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.