Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Striker roll bar
cornish striker

posted on 6/10/15 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Striker roll bar

Hi I have a Sylva Striker that was built in '91. I've just started competing in sprints and hillclimbs with it.

I seem to remember that the Striker roll bar has been RAC approved for Motorsport can anybody confirm this?

Many thanks Nathan

jeffw

posted on 6/10/15 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
It is unlikely that a '91 Striker rollbar is MSA approved today. You need to refer to K.1.6.1 in the Blue Book and see if you rollbar meets K1 or K2 specification.

loggyboy

posted on 6/10/15 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Rac 'approval' doesn't exist. The term is applied to a roll bar that meets the standards required in the MSA bluebook (previously RACMSA)

Mistral Motorsport

cornish striker

posted on 6/10/15 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. It seems that the design meets the diagrams in the blue book. However the diameter of the the tube on the car is 38mm, the blue book states that it should be 45mm unless the roll bar was approved before 1995 which means 38mm is acceptable.

Thanks Nathan.

loggyboy

posted on 6/10/15 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect to be accepted you would need an MSA log book signed off by a scrutineer for the car to prove it was used before that date. A call to msa might br needed.
Also, more importantly, I would want a rollbar to meet the current standards anyway, theres a no doubt a good reason why they want them to larger sizes!

Mistral Motorsport

jeffw

posted on 6/10/15 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
I assumed this was a road-going car so wouldn't have a log book.

cornish striker

posted on 6/10/15 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I suspect to be accepted you would need an MSA log book signed off by a scrutineer for the car to prove it was used before that date. A call to msa might br needed.
Also, more importantly, I would want a rollbar to meet the current standards anyway, theres a no doubt a good reason why they want them to larger sizes!

Yes I understand what you're saying regarding roll bar diameter but on some events this year I've seen new homologated cages fitted to Westfields with 38mm bars so it's all a bit confusing. I'm competing in my last event for the year this weekend so I'll have a word with the scrutineers. I just wanted to try and get any info. I could.

Many Thanks. Nathan

jeffw

posted on 6/10/15 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
There are two systems of approval going on here.

1. ROPS (rollbar or cage) which is built exactly to the Blue Book (K.1.6.1/K.1.6.2) and is therefore allowed
2. ROPS which has been tested/certified/Homologated/Approved by the MSA (hence the 38mm Westfield cage)

unless you can find an approved ROPS from a supplier for your vehicle you are left with option 1

[Edited on 6/10/15 by jeffw]

cornish striker

posted on 6/10/15 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
There are two systems of approval going on here.

1. ROPS (rollbar or cage) which is built exactly to the Blue Book (K.1.6.1/K.1.6.2) and is therefore allowed
2. ROPS which has been tested/certified/Homologated/Approved by the MSA (hence the 38mm Westfield cage)

unless you can find an approved ROPS from a supplier for your vehicle you are left with option 1

[Edited on 6/10/15 by jeffw]

Ah I see, with regard to option 2 bearing in mind the the roll bar on my Sylva was 'factory supplied' with the chassis, and the history that the Striker has in motorsport does anybody know if the Sylva roll bar has ever been Approved by the MSA in the past ?

jeffw

posted on 6/10/15 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
As I said....very unlikely. But speak to Jeremy if you want to confirm.

loggyboy

posted on 6/10/15 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Rops approval is an expensive process, so few do it. Procomp are the only kit manufacturer I know of who do.
Sylva didnt and raw don't have one.
Ones that do have a certificate/approval number fixed to them.
I also believe its only in recent years its been available. I doubt it stretches back to 92.

[Edited on 6-10-15 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

cfc999

posted on 21/10/15 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Striker Cage.

Please see the pic of my striker cage if this helps.
Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.