Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Racing spring rates
Dopdog

posted on 23/7/14 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Racing spring rates

I am interested to see what people use on their cars with regards to spring rates and bike engined cars used for racing.

I understand we all have a different view on this but will be interesting to see

I will start my car has 275 rear with 300 front.

adithorp

posted on 23/7/14 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
Those sound high. I'd be interested to know if thats common on race BECS.

Wasn't the original sugested rates 160f/130r for road use. I know there's been a general move towards higher rates (prob'as the motors have got more powerful). Mine are only road and trackday use but just for comparison, 210f/180r. I've recently swapped from 160 on the back mainly because I found when loaded with camping gear and on lumpy roads I hit the bump stops more often than I'd like.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Dopdog

posted on 23/7/14 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
yes they do seem high but have not driven the car yet. On my striker I also ran the same as you 210/180 and that was with a car engine in?
jeffw

posted on 23/7/14 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
220F/180R

I was thinking of going to 250F/220R

MK9R

posted on 23/7/14 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
You are far better off starting soft and stiffening it up slowly. Is it live axle? ? I dropped my fury rgb car down to 180 at the rear and then stiffened it to 200. Any more than that and yoh couldnt get power down at the rear. I had custom front wishbones and requirwd 350 at the front but that was a lot higher than standard. Id say you starting of far too high with those rates.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dopdog

posted on 23/7/14 at 01:59 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replays, the car has an independent rear end (for info). Looks like I have a few little jobs to do over the winter ready for next years sprinting.
MK9R

posted on 23/7/14 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
If ypu want to make the front end of the fury more streamlined and generate some downforce I still have the mould for the front clam shell, basically its a nose that bokts onto a classic bonnet

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SPYDER

posted on 23/7/14 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
When pondering the same question multiple RGB Champion and friend Tim Grey advised us "250 all round".
strikerbird

posted on 24/7/14 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I hillclimb my mk3 striker and use 225 front with ARB and 180 rear with a live axle. It's to hard for rough roads but works well on the hills.
Robear919

posted on 25/7/14 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
I ran 275/225 on my live axle plate LSD Striker Fireblade (420kgs - track day) nicely balanced in the dry but required aggression to overcome turn in understeer in the wet.

I'm starting with 250/180 with my open diff live axle Striker Zetec (track day only sub 550kgs - I hope).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.