Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fuel tank, live axle striker / phoenix? Mini clubman?
alfas

posted on 23/12/15 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
fuel tank, live axle striker / phoenix? Mini clubman?

am i right saying the fuel tank on the earlier , live axled strikers / phoneix / clubman came from a mini van / clubman?

fuel filler neck needs to be modified (straightend), i guess?

minitici

posted on 23/12/15 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
The Mini van tank used to be popular in kit cars - however I have just seen the prices of these tanks now

Instead, I would get an alloy tank made for that sort of price.

Sam_68

posted on 23/12/15 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Yep, the original tank was a modified Mini van item, but as Minitici says, a fabricated aluminium tank probably makes more sense these days.
nick205

posted on 23/12/15 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Getting an alloy one made gives you more design freedom as well.

alfas

posted on 23/12/15 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
a direct OEM replacment in stainless steel is listed for 160,-pound (as i do not have to pay the VAT) and the neck can be easily adapted by myselves. but at the moment its out of stock.
its sold by minispares.

a galvanized one is sold for 185,-pound (wihout VAT)..this would be available on stock

now to the alloy one:
if you show me a company, fabricating an alloy one, where i can use the original fixing points on the chassis, where i do not need to wait weeks after order, where i do not need to give them my tank as sample...and where the price is not higher than 185pound....i´m open for any information.

nick205

posted on 23/12/15 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
alfas, where abouts are you?

A kit car maker like MK may be able to help you.

Can you sketch what is required and dimension the fixing points?

alfas

posted on 23/12/15 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
i´m outside the UK, this makes things lots more complicated...as THE market for kitcars and their supliers is definately UK
40inches

posted on 23/12/15 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
How about: http://www.alloyracingfabrications.com/mk-indy-5-gallon-alloy-injection-fuel-tank.html
http://www.kitcardirect.co.uk/locost-aluminium-fuel-tank-with-sump.html
http://www.mksportscars.com/parts-c3/fuel-system-c15/40ltr-petrol-tank-p141

alfas

posted on 24/12/15 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
i need to repeat again:

"if you show me a company, fabricating an alloy one, where i can use the original fixing points on the chassis, where i do not need to wait weeks after order, where i do not need to give them my tank as sample...and where the price is not higher than 185pound....i´m open for any information."

why should i buy an alloy tank, which needs lots of modifications to fit my car, for nearly the same price, where i can buy a tank which is (besides the fuel filler neck) plug&play?

if i would buy an alloy tank (which needs to be adapted to my car anyway) i would use this one:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/J2-RACING-STORE-BLACK-20L-Aluminium-Fuel-Surge-tank-mirror-polish-Fuel-cell-with-sensor-foam/32284860744.html?spm=2114. 01020208.3.229.wum132&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_6,searchweb201644_2_79_78_77_82_80_62_81,searchweb201560_3

20L, foam filled, incl. fuel sender, 100,-€, shipping incl.

or this one:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/20L-Sicherheitstank-Benzintank-Motorsport-Tank-Rennsport-1-4-Meile-Bergcup-/231477585750?hash=item35e523a756:g:U1gAAOSwQiRUnvJ1

JAZ-dragracing fuel cell in plastic, not a chniese made alloy one, like above for 194-€ incl. shipping

additionally it needs to be pointed put: the tank needs to be fitted from the bottom, as the body is still mounted to the car.

surplus....all the linked tanks are too high...you need to read my postings!! its for a sylva not for a locost and there is a reason why sylva fitted such a low profile tanks!!

sorry folks for my replies, but i "only" asked if the community can confirm that the tank sylva has used is from a mini van.

its like i would ask about a headgasekt for an x/flow and people would reply: fit a zetec.

as it has been confirmed, we can close this thread.

[Edited on 24/12/15 by alfas]

peter030371

posted on 24/12/15 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
From memory of my old Striker, which had the mini van tank, the filler neck had been cut off at about 30-40mm long. This was then linked up to the fuel filler cap on the back of the car by a bit of fuel proof flexi pipe that was (again from memory) about 200m long. This is a lot easier to 'seal' than cuting and welding the original tank pipe back on but straight and allows for more flexibility in the position of the fuel filler cap
alfas

posted on 24/12/15 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
thats a good advice!!!! much easier and even more plug&play
40inches

posted on 24/12/15 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
I must apologise for trying to be helpful.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.