Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: IVA Fail - Again..
Patten

posted on 4/8/16 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
IVA Fail - Again..

My R1 Fury failed its second IVA earlier on this week (On my Birthday too!)

Only two small things.

We were just shy of passing the emissions, power commander map was a tiny bit too lean. So just short of getting the Fast idle lambda right. I need to richen up the map

Big one was the noise. Head thiis is quite common on BEC

The first IVA test the examiner situated the dB mic near the rear of the car and we were about 99.8 dB
The second IVA test the examiner situated the dB mic nearer the bonnet and we were getting readings of over 102!

We currently have no sound deadning and its a very open engine bay. Looking at enclosing the bay up and adding some sound deadning to quieting things down but its very loud at 8650rpm..

Chris

CosKev3

posted on 4/8/16 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Was the bonnet on?

And I presume you haven't seen people mention the age old trick of not being totally truthfull about your max engine revs?

By giving them a lower max engine revs lowers the revs the test is done at,common practise on BECS

Patten

posted on 4/8/16 at 09:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yes he made sure the bonnet was on and that we didnt dip the clutch too

Unfortunatly he knows that the RPM is tested at 8650rpm now

5000 to 11,500 is pritty much over 101dB anyway too

CosKev3

posted on 4/8/16 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Running a open foam filter?

Were they testing it outside or in the building?

Patten

posted on 4/8/16 at 09:30 AM Reply With Quote
Yes Pipercross sausage filter. There is no way the stock airbox will fit under the bonnet

Right out in the open.

CosKev3

posted on 4/8/16 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
You will prob be best off either cutting up and remaking the stock airbox small enough to fit,or fabricating a small enough box out of alloy just to get you through test.
aslong as engine runs with it fitted it doesn't matter if it reduces power/restricts the engine etc as you will be to removing it after test anyway
Get yourself a DB meter too,so you can check the noise before booking retest.

CosKev3

posted on 4/8/16 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have seen people reverse the airbox,so you cut out the base that sits on the throttle bodies,then refit/seal it in the opposite way around,the airbox then sits down above the gearbox/starter rather than sticking up above the cam cover.
jelly head

posted on 4/8/16 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
Mine failed on noise the first time too, the examiner said a lot of becs do as it was difficult to dampen the high frequency sound waves.

I took no chances the second time, i repacked the silencer and shoved a chicken wire cage packed with wire wool up the pipe, passed no problem.

I think you're right about fixing some sound deadening to the inside of the bonnet just in case they don't measure by the exhaust next time.

[Edited on 4/8/16 by jelly head]

Toprivetguns

posted on 4/8/16 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
I have recently suffered the issue of noise. I can safely say it's down to exhaust and induction noise.

1) I installed a deciBal killer with acousta fill in my silencer.
2) I used my standard air box and blocked off the air switching valves ports (zx10r ninja)

I did used some sound buffler bonnet insulation, however not convinced it has worked.

I would focus my time on removing the sausage filter and isolating your induction noise.

Only drive as fast as your angel can fly... !

nickm

posted on 4/8/16 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
I used one of those inserts in the exhaust tail to kill the noise, the examiner took a look while measuring the distance for the microphone and said "youll pass this time then" got the certificate then removed it in the test centre car park for a more spirited drive home.

Nick M

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.