Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Tolan sport fabrications
spiderman01980

posted on 17/10/18 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Tolan sport fabrications

Does anyone know what happened to tolan sports.
I remember the guy made the haynes roadster chassis and sold them on ebay at the beginning, about 10 years ago.
I've seen a few article'son piston heads mentioning him in 2017.
I have searched and searched but can't seem to find him anywhere.

russbost

posted on 18/10/18 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Never heard of Tolan, do you mean Talon? If so I believe he is a member on here & has had some medical problems, I think he was based somewhere near Maldon Essex, but can't find anything current with a quick Google

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Charlie C

posted on 18/10/18 at 07:33 AM Reply With Quote
On the Haynes Roadster forum there is a post from Phil (Talon) saying he's stopped production.
spiderman01980

posted on 18/10/18 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Never heard of Tolan, do you mean Talon? If so I believe he is a member on here & has had some medical problems, I think he was based somewhere near Maldon Essex, but can't find anything current with a quick Google

Yeah that's the guy.
I remember a few months after I bought my chassis from aries he started doing them, and at a good price too.
Chassis are getting really expensive now.

jps

posted on 18/10/18 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by spiderman01980
and at a good price too.

The last post I saw from Phil - which was on the Haynes forum I think - basically said that the final straw for him had been working out the profit he was getting - and realising it was so low there was no point doing the work. And bemoaning the fact that his client base really wasn't prepared to pay prices which are more like the kind of prices he'd have to charge to make a decent living from the work...

jps

posted on 18/10/18 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
It's a shame really because I believe the chassis, wishbones and uprights I have were bought from Phil (I bought them second-hand so don't know 100% they are his work, but was told they were) and everything looks to be very well made.
russbost

posted on 18/10/18 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Unfortunately this is very much the nature of the game & the reason there are so few kitcar manufacturers compared with a few years back.

When you have workshop expenses & overheads to cover you have to have a regular & consistent turnover just to cover the basics, as you say, no one wants to pay good money for good workmanship anymore, everyone wants it yesterday & for tuppence & when you can pick up a tidy MR2 or MX5 for peanuts it makes the whole kitcar scene look less attractive

I am in the fortunate position of being able to run mine as a hobby business & I do it because I love to see the cars out there & I get pleasure from the challenges it presents, but very glad I don't need to be making money from it .............

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.