Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Phoenix
Mark RSP

posted on 19/1/20 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
Phoenix

Hi all I have bought a 2008 built Phoenix with a K series engine that I have been restoring slowly when time and funds allow
when I can work out how to post photos ill get some up

John Bonnett

posted on 20/1/20 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mark,

This is the car I built originally powered by a n/a Cosworth YB (250bhp Jondel built) and BDH type 9 gearbox. The Cosworth YB is Pinto based and in my view far too heavy for such a light and nimble car and probably ruined the handling. I fitted it because I had it in stock. Unable to get a realistic price for the car I sold the engine and box separately and the car without engine to a very nice chap who fitted the Rover K series engine which I think is ideal or was at that time. Perhaps there are even better lightweight engines available now such as the Duratec and of course a variety of bike engines have been fitted to make fantastic hill climbers.

I've dropped you a PM Mark and will be pleased to let you have the 700 odd photos that I took during the build.

[Edited on 20/1/20 by John Bonnett]

Mark RSP

posted on 20/1/20 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for replying John
When I bought it a year ago it had been through a few owners with dubious building knowledge
so im slowly restoring it to its former glory and making a few subtle alterations along the way that I hope you will approve
I will pm you my email address as I would love to see the photos of the build
Regards
Mark

John Bonnett

posted on 20/1/20 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark RSP
Thanks for replying John
When I bought it a year ago it had been through a few owners with dubious building knowledge
so im slowly restoring it to its former glory and making a few subtle alterations along the way that I hope you will approve
I will pm you my email address as I would love to see the photos of the build
Regards
Mark

No problem Mark, the photos are in a google photos album so I'll send them straight over to you. Some are duplicated and a few out of focus but I always work on too much information is better than too little. I hope some will be useful to you.

One of several drawbacks of the YB is how tall it sits necessitating the bonnet bulge. It also ran very hot and after one spell of running at over 100mph the rubber seal had glued the bonnet shut. I made a lot of effort to get cold air in and out and ducted cold air straight in from outside to the Jenvies. From memory I think I used a Caterham fuel tank with a return stub welded in and the fuel pump assembly was from an Astra GTI.

If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them but it was a long time ago now.

Kind regards

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.