Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car music system recomendations Locost!
John G

posted on 30/1/21 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Car music system recomendations Locost!

A bit behind on latest blue tooth etc, more of a Harry Moss in my M G Midget!
Looking for a system with power and quality of sound. Have space in car for amplifier. Possibly C D changer or any other ideas for speakers etc.
Thanks, Jon

cliftyhanger

posted on 31/1/21 at 04:49 AM Reply With Quote
If you want something reasonably priced, buy a bluetooth amp off fleabay.
I have been using a basic £15 one for years in my Spitfire, the rating is huge, but I reckon it is about 10W a channel. I think mine is about £10 at the moment, but bluetooth adds a fiver. I will probably go mad and buy an updated one soon.

Speakers, avoid the small 4" type, they struggle with bass. I have managed to squeeze 5 1/4" JBL into my car, but generally bigger is better. It just depends on what handy spaces there are available.

[Edited on 31/1/21 by cliftyhanger]

Mr Whippy

posted on 31/1/21 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
You could do what I use to do and get everything from the breakers. Most organised ones have a collection of stereos, amps and speakers.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 3/2/21 at 01:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John G
A bit behind on latest blue tooth etc, more of a Harry Moss in my M G Midget!
Looking for a system with power and quality of sound. Have space in car for amplifier. Possibly C D changer or any other ideas for speakers etc.
Thanks, Jon

Can you really compete with engine, exhaust, wind noise?

I'd be going with in-ear type bluetooth headphones connected to my phone personally- they'll fit inside a bike helmet too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

steve m

posted on 4/2/21 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ As James said

I did for a very short time have a radio in my Locost, it was as useful as an ashtray, and removed

Also just listening to the exhaust noise was music, on county roads etc it was fun, but blasting up the M1 or M11 going to kit car shows back in the 1999-2004 years, at a steady 75MPH, you soon realize how a quieter exhaust would be nice, and the buffeting and wind noise is a mental drain

7's are not motorway cruisers !!

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Toys2

posted on 4/2/21 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
I picked up one of these Android GPS 7" touch screen stereos, I got it when ebay were offering 20% discounts, I think I paid about £35
It comes with a GPS aerial and a rearview camera

Description
Description

The main reason I wanted it was for Sat Nav and also to play with Android Car Apps, such as GPS speedo's and dashboard

Though as I have it, I may as well see if it's other features are of use

I've really gone for the minimalist look on my Striker dash, with all controls on the stalks and a digi dash, this unit should look good recessed into the plain section on the dash

Striker Dash
Striker Dash

I'll also see if I can use the camera as a dashcam, although a rearview camera might be useful, as it's not the easiest to turn to see behind with harnesses and a helmet!

I'm going to have a dabble to see it I can connect to a bluetooth headphone/intercom, so that I can hear music, sat nav and passenger
The unit has bluetooth, but for connecting to a phone, not headphones, so I'll probably have to get a bluetooth transmitter, connected to it's Audio Out. It just may not be worth the hassle

I may rig up a couple of speakers as a test, but suspect they won't be effective

I'm not really that bothered about the music side, as I have been using earbud bluetoothed to my phone, when wearing a helmet

[Edited on 4/2/21 by Toys2]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.