Board logo

Welding Equipmet Regulator Advice Needed
John P - 28/2/24 at 04:24 PM

Years ago I got an old ESAB 125 Mig welder from a company which was closing down.

It has a small Air Products gas cylinder which is currently filled with Cougar gas. The regulator is made by Xcel and appears to be good quality.

Unfortunately, last year a length of steel fell over and just caught the gas flow meter which was completely destroyed but, amazingly, doesn't actually leak.

Welding Regulator
Welding Regulator

I have tried to source just a gauge without much success so was thinking about getting a ball in a tube type instead, similar to this https://www.weldequip.com/flowmeter.htm.

So:
1) Could I rotate the regulator so that the outlet is horizontal and then fit the new flow gauge.

2) Any idea what thread the old smashed gauge would have as I will presumably need to plug this off. I don't really want to take it off to measure it before I get the replacement as it is sort of useable at the moment and I do have a small job to do.

John.

cliftyhanger - 28/2/24 at 04:57 PM

Thread is probably 1/8npt. And a gauge is probably a fiver from fleabay.

rusty nuts - 1/3/24 at 07:41 AM

You might get more advice on the Mig welding forum ?

daviep - 1/3/24 at 10:19 PM

No problem turning it 90degrees and fitting a flow meter. Also don't be scared to take the damaged gauge of to identify the thread, just be aware there may be a tiny copper sealing washer at the bottom of the fitting that you should not lose! I'll guess that the thread is 1/4" bsp