Board logo

Oulton Park Sat 25th Nov
mazie - 24/11/23 at 09:23 AM

Morning

Bi22le on here and myself are off to Oulton Park tomorrow for a days fun with another mate in his MX5. Anyone else going?

1st car track day for some time, had previously been on a bike after selling the lovely blue Fury, quite excited!

JoelP - 25/11/23 at 07:43 PM

Hope you had fun!

adithorp - 26/11/23 at 06:53 PM

Have fun. Take car at/exiting Druids; track will be green under the trees and the bump just after it can send the car light and catches loads if people out (been there done that).

bi22le - 27/11/23 at 06:13 PM

Well we both survived without any issues which is always a bonus.

I wish my car had more power!!

adithorp - 28/11/23 at 09:51 PM

Was it wet?

bi22le - 29/11/23 at 03:09 PM

It was perfectly dry but very very cold.

Never had so many red flags in a day, I think there were 7. We lost count, some big offs though. 2 cars were pretty written off, people just not driving to the conditions and thinking because it's dry it's fast.

I had new discs and pads fitted to a car I am still new to. The fronts kept locking up under breaking and I was too afraid to put some bias to the back!! I just took an extra couple of laps to warm the tyres up which never quite come on even after pushing. They are quite old though.

adithorp - 29/11/23 at 08:41 PM

I'm surprised at that. It was passing down all morning here.
The first November day I did at Oulton, people were flying off on the sighting laps

bi22le - 29/11/23 at 09:08 PM

A good friend lives up that way and his birthday is at the end of November (today actually!). We have done Oulton for the last 4 years or so at this time, I probably know Oulton better than any track now having done it probably 7-8 times, crazy as it's over 200 miles away for me.

Late November has always been dry and overall good conditions, I would consider this one the worst but only because everybody else couldn't drive or maintain their car!!

I did Oulton in the snow this January, that was problematic. . . .

Worst conditions I have done a track day in was at Anglesey. Heavy rain for almost the whole day, it was flooding in places. Rainsport 3 were amazing, in the wet.

adithorp - 30/11/23 at 06:58 PM

Yeah I've got a set of Rainsports on some 14" steel wheels and they're amazing in the wet. I did a day a Blyton and it was so wet they delayed the first sessing to JCB a section of the banking to let a flood drain away. All morning there was only me, a Scooby and an Evo on track most of the time. With those tyres on I was faster than both (just).

I've done a few Nov/Dec days at Oulton and the weather has been good every time, though scraping ice off the screen for the sighting laps wasn't a high. The setting sun can be difficult at the end of the day too.

bi22le - 1/12/23 at 11:13 PM

I had issues with my visor fogging, I did an old go kart trick and chocked the visor open with some sculptured black tape. Integrated tinted visor was down all day because of the low sun.

[Edited on Sat4702/12/2323 by bi22le]