Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Alfa V6 wiring
Bart-Jan

posted on 11/1/07 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Alfa V6 wiring

I bought an old Alfa 164 for next to nothing, to use the V6 12v in my middie design. The car is form '92, is an automatic (that i will ditch) and has a cat.

The problem is that the previous owner has removed the interior and part of the wiring. I would like to start the engine, while it is still in the car to check everything out. I heard that the wiring of an Alfa V6 of the early days is simple, but can sombody tell me which wires I need for what and where can I find those wires in the car?

theconrodkid

posted on 11/1/07 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
no italian wiring was ever simple,best to have a word on an alfa forum,good choice of engine btw

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Johnmor

posted on 11/1/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring for 12v V6

Is the engine wiring loom intact?

If so check to see if there is a gray connector in the bulkhead, it will have ten connections.

The clour coding is as follws and should provide sufficient to start the car.

Pink + white Fuel pump supply ( in tank)12v
Pink (engine relay)12v
Grn+blk - (Hot in start and run) 12v
Blue +Yellow -Not needed
Blk - Not needed
Blue+ red- Not needed
Greenn + white- air con , not needed
Gray+ yellow- Not needed
Green + yellow - Neutral indicator for auto box (earth)
White- Not needed.

In addition to this you will need to make the large red cables from the loom that connect in the black box on the bulkhead live 12v.

Also large black from engine will have to be made to earth.

All thats needed after that is to excite the starter solinoid and it shoud start and run.

I will send you a copy of the wiring diagram for this engine , it should help to get it started.

John

rav

posted on 12/1/07 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Yup I second that - Alfa 164 engine bay wiring is very simple and I got my engine running by connecting 2 or 3 of the wires in the Grey connector John mentioned to live.
BTW, if you (or anyone else) needs any 164 bits, I sent my cloverleaf 12v to a reakers in Newcastle upon tyne a week or two ago, it might still be there, though I think they were going to crush it -"Nobody wants bits for these anymore" AAaaaaaagghhhh!!!

Bart-Jan

posted on 15/1/07 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Yesterday afternoon I tried finding the grey plug with 10 wires. The most obvious I found was a black round one with 14 wires. It sits just in front of the wiper mechanism. I couldn't find other plugs. Where should I search? inside the car at the bulkhead, maybe under the aircon unit? In the engine bay in front of the bulkhead?

I would really like to enjoy the sound of the V6, before I disconnect everything and pull it out of the tin it is in at the moment.

Johnmor

posted on 16/1/07 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the late reply.

Grey plug is in the engine bay but at the rear of the scuttle , under the windsreen motor.
Trace the engine loom through the bulkhead scuttle and you will find it. its behind the little black box that connects the permenant lives.

Round plug is not for the engine but is for ancillarys, alternator and guages etc.

Keep looking!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.