Board logo

Project 7-up
thetankwad - 7/9/20 at 10:24 AM

Hello!

Going to do a build diary here with a wee difference. Its all getting filmed!

The plan is to make a very budget MX5 based classic 7.

First stint of it was breaking up the MX5, episode can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zdq-m6xq7k

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zdq-m6xq7k[/youtube]

Seems the Youtube embed feature isnt working?

[Edited on 7/9/20 by thetankwad]

gremlin1234 - 7/9/20 at 01:29 PM

you only need the "7zdq-m6xq7k" part of the link

thetankwad - 7/9/20 at 01:43 PM

Superb, thanks for the help dude!

Bluemoon - 7/9/20 at 02:02 PM

Thanks for posting... Good project lookng foward to the vids..

harmchar - 7/9/20 at 08:09 PM

Subscribed also, this could be fun. Good luck with the build. Hope it goes smoother and quicker than mine. 👍

thetankwad - 8/9/20 at 08:58 AM

Thanks guys! Powering into Episode 2 now. We did a TVR resto shortly before which we put an episode a week out on. Understandably we may not hit that level of footage with this one but we hope to have some regular stuff on it!

James - 8/9/20 at 11:42 AM

subscribed. Looking forward to it.

christim - 8/9/20 at 01:20 PM

Good stuff! Subscribed

Deckman001 - 8/9/20 at 03:05 PM

Great topic and video, will look forward to updates

Keep up the great work.

Jason

ianhurley20 - 10/9/20 at 01:34 PM

Very entertaining, look forward to the next episodes

Mr Whippy - 10/9/20 at 02:16 PM

One thing I'd say watching that rather heart stopping vid is put a block of soft wood on your axle stand pad between it and the bodywork or anything your else your lifting.

Metal on metal is very very slippery and there is no way I'd have went under the car as they had it there, worse still it was sitting at quite an angle too and the front stands right at their full extent, barely touching the car! Not trying to be critical but I've had a few scares over the years and cars fall faster than you can move out the way (and they don't always fall straight down either).

I know it's all very busy and exciting but just take a moment now and again, stand back and look at what your doing and think to yourself "is that safe??" So please use wood next time and we might get to the final episode

[Edited on 10/9/20 by Mr Whippy]

thetankwad - 10/9/20 at 02:22 PM

Thanks so much to all for the replies, glad this will be of interest.

Mr Whippy, I would never baulk at a safety comment, as you say often its an unobserved issue that can catch you out. That is a very good point and something I hadn't considered. Thank you for that, it will be remedied in future!

James - 11/9/20 at 01:55 PM

I used to know a guy who had his hand underneath a brake disc when the car came down so it was trapped between the disc and the concrete... that was fun!

thetankwad - 11/9/20 at 02:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
I used to know a guy who had his hand underneath a brake disc when the car came down so it was trapped between the disc and the concrete... that was fun!

I bet. Sounds horrific!

We have all taken our eyes off the ball. I remember using an airgun to take a long bolt out from underneath a car, running the bolt out and the thread acting against the gun and pinching my knuckles between the gun and the floor. Seems like such an unlikely thing to happen but there we go! Luckily it was easily resolved by just gunning the bolt back in.

thetankwad - 25/9/20 at 01:32 PM

Quick update, we have the MX5 stripped and put aside, and we are knocking up a bench to start the welding. Steel is on order so its full steam ahead.

I'd like to think we will have the next episode up in a week or 2.

Deckman001 - 25/9/20 at 01:36 PM

Well done guys, keep it up as we like the update videos.

Jason

SteveWalker - 25/9/20 at 02:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
One thing I'd say watching that rather heart stopping vid is put a block of soft wood on your axle stand pad between it and the bodywork or anything your else your lifting.

Metal on metal is very very slippery

Personally, I don't use wood, but I always position axle stands under sill jacking points, or tow-bar - with a section narrow enough to fit in the bottom of the cup, so that it is unable to slip sideways and (with jacking points) often slightly back from the rest of the sill seam, so they are prevented from slipping sideways, or (with tow-bar) between mountings or bolts, that also prevent sideways slip.

Similarly, when jacking - under the ant-roll bar mounts (so they sit in the cup of the jack), under a tow-bar bolt, or under a some other (solid) bracketry or bolt.

I have seen a car drop on someone's (my uncle's) arm many years ago, but that was a Fiat 126 and he just asked my Dad to lift it up a bit

thetankwad - 5/10/20 at 08:52 AM

Quick update, I have been very very busy between this build and all the other nonsense that comes with running a car channel on youtube. Those who have subscribed will note that this isn't the only project I have on the go at the moment. FEAR NOT! It has not been forgotten, and this Friday the next instalment goes live. Link for that can be found here:

In typical project style, most of this is covering the actual prep needed rather than any of the build, so we are getting our house in order and ready for welding up a chassis. Few useful tips and we knock up the bench for welding here.

[Edited on 5/10/20 by thetankwad]

[Edited on 5/10/20 by thetankwad]

Bluemoon - 5/10/20 at 09:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by thetankwad
quote:
Originally posted by James

I bet. Sounds horrific!

We have all taken our eyes off the ball. I remember using an airgun to take a long bolt out from underneath a car, running the bolt out and the thread acting against the gun and pinching my knuckles between the gun and the floor. Seems like such an unlikely thing to happen but there we go! Luckily it was easily resolved by just gunning the bolt back in.

Very easy to make a silly mistake, I do also know a local chap that was working under a landrover, lots of experiance DIYing on the vehicle yet one day he was crush to death working under it on the drive leaving a young family.

Cars are fun but make be extra carefull when working under. When working on my donner I used axel stands and also shoved the wheels under just in case. Once on 4 stands it's not stable as when haveing at least two or three chocked wheels on the ground.. I also prefere using ramps when possible but can only do that with wheels on!

ianhurley20 - 5/10/20 at 03:14 PM

One of the first things I was taught as an appretice tractor mechanic in 1960 something was never put any part of yourself under a vehicle without TWO means of support - one of those with cars was to put the wheel you have just taken off under the car - and that would make 3 means of support!

thetankwad - 25/10/20 at 06:57 AM

thetankwad - 1/11/20 at 08:46 AM

Morning all! Its Sunday so time for an update.

As promised, we start welding in this episodes. We certainly don't finish it though....

David Jenkins - 1/11/20 at 10:37 AM

I love this series of videos - but I am REALLY struggling with the accent sometimes! Of course, this is my problem, not yours... but you'd think with a brother who lives in Dornock that I'd be better at understanding the accent by now!

thetankwad - 1/11/20 at 10:41 AM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I love this series of videos - but I am REALLY struggling with the accent sometimes! Of course, this is my problem, not yours... but you'd think with a brother who lives in Dornock that I'd be better at understanding the accent by now!

Sorry dude. Believe it or not we do slow down the chat and try to speak clearer. Its usually worse than that!!

David Jenkins - 1/11/20 at 01:03 PM

quote:

Sorry dude. Believe it or not we do slow down the chat and try to speak clearer. Its usually worse than that!!

thetankwad - 1/11/20 at 03:51 PM

quote:
quote:

You managed to correctly determine which part of Scotland, so it cant be that hard to understand the accent!!

David Jenkins - 1/11/20 at 04:47 PM

One year we drove up to visit my brother when he lived near Inverness. First time I'd driven up. I pulled into a BP garage on the outskirts of Glasgow to top up before the next leg. Filled up and went to pay - guy behind the counter said "Hurra hur eh hur a hur" and pointed at the card machine. So I put my card in and put in the numbers. Then he said "Heh hurra hur a hurhur" so I took my card out and walked away. I still have no idea what he said, but at least he pointed to the appropriate device...

But don't take it personally, as I love accents of all descriptions. Last time we were up there we went into Glasgow itself, and had nae bother!

thetankwad - 16/11/20 at 12:53 PM

quote:
One year we drove up to visit my brother when he lived near Inverness. First time I'd driven up. I pulled into a BP garage on the outskirts of Glasgow to top up before the next leg. Filled up and went to pay - guy behind the counter said "Hurra hur eh hur a hur" and pointed at the card machine. So I put my card in and put in the numbers. Then he said "Heh hurra hur a hurhur" so I took my card out and walked away. I still have no idea what he said, but at least he pointed to the appropriate device...

But don't take it personally, as I love accents of all descriptions. Last time we were up there we went into Glasgow itself, and had nae bother!

No offence even noticed, nor taken!

We are doing a few other projects, which I wont bore the page with as although kit car based, its a car that doesn't belong to me, and a Ferrari MR2 kit which seems to be a love hate thing for most.... If you guys want to see it its on the page.

Anyway, the Locost! Here is where we are at.

Should have another update in a couple of weeks. If you are liking these and want to follow, would you mind subscribing on Youtube? Helps with the ol' analyticals and whatnot.

Thanks all!

thetankwad - 29/11/20 at 08:26 PM

David Jenkins - 30/11/20 at 09:40 AM

I'm loving these videos!

I remember going through the same sort of pain and frustration when I made my chassis - although I didn't have a squeaky toy to cover up the swearing...

Though I'm jealous of all the build space you've got - this is where I built mine:

ianhurley20 - 30/11/20 at 03:57 PM

Brilliant! You've really shown the reality of making your own chassis, it should be obligatory viewing for anyone who hasn't done one before who thinks a) its easy and b) that they are going to make one

David Jenkins - 6/12/20 at 03:45 PM

I know it's not the 7-up project - but their latest MR2 project video made me laugh... I must get a squeaky toy...

thetankwad - 14/12/20 at 09:34 AM

Another weekend, another update!

thetankwad - 27/12/20 at 10:37 PM

Wee festive update for you guys.

Don't worry, no mention of Christmas in here at all.

Enjoy.

thetankwad - 17/1/21 at 05:45 PM

thetankwad - 31/1/21 at 10:09 AM

christim - 1/2/21 at 10:33 AM

Coming along nicely!
All books and plans seem to have some anomalies that you won't notice until it's too late!
Hopefully that rear bar being lower won't get in the way of the propshaft and/or diff?

thetankwad - 2/2/21 at 01:59 PM

quote:
Originally posted by christim
Coming along nicely!
All books and plans seem to have some anomalies that you won't notice until it's too late!
Hopefully that rear bar being lower won't get in the way of the propshaft and/or diff?

From what I have seen so far, its not going to be an issue, however we are far from finished!

thetankwad - 8/2/21 at 02:24 PM

Another weekend, another update!

thetankwad - 14/2/21 at 02:08 PM

Another wee update for you guys. Episode 12 already!

David Jenkins - 14/2/21 at 04:01 PM

Still making me giggle...

thetankwad - 21/2/21 at 08:34 PM

Glad to hear it!!

thetankwad - 1/3/21 at 07:29 AM

Deckman001 - 1/3/21 at 05:56 PM

Hi, just a very quick heads up, when you fit your seat on top of the bottom rails you'll need to move up the upper seat belt mounts by the same amount to pass an IVA test.
I used f/glass seats bolted straight to the steel sheet floor panel, I then fitted the seat belt mount eyes straight to the rail behind the seats and the tester said they were at a perfect height, and any lower would have been a fail, so just be careful to asses the mounting points based on the IVA test.

It's a fantastic watch on youtube, many thanks for the very enjoyable videos

Jason

thetankwad - 19/3/21 at 02:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Hi, just a very quick heads up, when you fit your seat on top of the bottom rails you'll need to move up the upper seat belt mounts by the same amount to pass an IVA test.
I used f/glass seats bolted straight to the steel sheet floor panel, I then fitted the seat belt mount eyes straight to the rail behind the seats and the tester said they were at a perfect height, and any lower would have been a fail, so just be careful to asses the mounting points based on the IVA test.

It's a fantastic watch on youtube, many thanks for the very enjoyable videos

Jason

Good point. To be honest we will likely knock up a rail for the passenger side just for symmetry more than anything else.

As for the IVA, I'll need to print off the manual soon. A lot of things coming up that are going to need referred to in it i think!!

thetankwad - 28/3/21 at 07:45 AM

Had a few things to do in life so apologies for the delay!

thetankwad - 12/4/21 at 01:49 PM

thetankwad - 26/4/21 at 07:11 AM

Getting into some proper fab work now...

Deckman001 - 26/4/21 at 11:45 AM

Hi ya, great watch once again, As usual I'm late again but you can use a dual master cylinder pedal box as I have just passed IVA with one. It would allow you to get the exact brake balance you want, and then you just need to lock the nuts on the bias bar with split pins and put a disclaimer sticker in the engine bay stating not to alter the balance

Keep up the great work though guys, it'll be the new ' go to ' media for anyone building a similar car

Jason

thetankwad - 5/5/21 at 12:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Hi ya, great watch once again, As usual I'm late again but you can use a dual master cylinder pedal box as I have just passed IVA with one. It would allow you to get the exact brake balance you want, and then you just need to lock the nuts on the bias bar with split pins and put a disclaimer sticker in the engine bay stating not to alter the balance

Keep up the great work though guys, it'll be the new ' go to ' media for anyone building a similar car

Jason

Good to know! Well for us the 60 quid bill versus a 300 quid pedal box kept us on target for the 1k budget more than anything else

Deckman001 - 5/5/21 at 01:02 PM

Yeah very true, I got the bias system to make sure the brake system could be modified to make sure the braking bias was perfect and then locked. For anyone else doing the same, remember to lock off the lock nuts as well as put a sticker near the brake fill up point saying do not alter the brake balance.

Jason

thetankwad - 10/5/21 at 10:03 AM

Here's our latest update guys. The Locost is currently packed up due to a unit move. Hoping to be in properly for the end of this month, and we have some new bits bought that should push the project on nicely!

Deckman001 - 7/3/22 at 03:17 PM

Hi guys,

I noticed on a very recent video of yours doing the exhaust that it was cut to length when fitted, but your rear arches aren't fitted, so it may be worth a trial fit again to make sure it all clears ok.

quinnj3 - 3/12/22 at 02:11 PM

I posted on one of your videos but just wanted to say again, this video series you are doing has rekindled my desire to build a car. I first started about 20 years but then other interests of the female variety took over. 😂 I’m sure many here can relate. I’ve found I have some spare time now and have been looking for a decent long term project. Last week I made a start by buying a scrap MX5 which I’ve just got in the garage today. This evening / tomorrow I’ll start to strip the body off it. Can’t wait for the next instalment. Keep up the good work!