Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ready to start
Iomlocosts4

posted on 19/6/23 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
Ready to start

I have a donor car bought for 150 GBP. a 2001 mercedes c180 in running condition. Im waiting for the steel.
Im planning to use almost everything from the donor. uprights, axles, brakes, automatic gearbox, engine, diff, ecu, steering rack, steering wheel, springs and dampers. The macpherson strut in front will be converted to double wishbones. Im keeping the rear multilink. pushrod actuated. modular. integrated roll cage. mid engine.

[Edited on 19/6/23 by Iomlocosts4]

adithorp

posted on 19/6/23 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
How are you going to reuse the gearbox and diff and be mid-engined.
Iomlocosts4

posted on 19/6/23 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
get rid of the propshaft and connect the diff with a small adapter to the gearbox output. the rear driveshaft needs to be angled forward a little to shorten the wheelbase somewhat. the pedals will be right before front axle centreline and the suspension bushings close to my lower legs. the steering rack ill be just under my calf. it will be as long and as wide as the c180.

its like a mid engined pickup truck! but I need it to stay below 550 kg so it will be easy to register as a motorcycle in the IOM

adithorp

posted on 19/6/23 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
A rubber flex donut? Otherwise the 'box+diff have to be very precisly aligned. It'll be interesting to drive as you won't have much feeling of movement in the rear end from that seating position. If it swaps ends on you the first you'll know of it could be when you're looking where you just came from.

I wouldn't want my legs infront of the axle without a very strong crash structure to protect them in any impact. How are you going to couple the steering wheel yo the rack while keeping the wheel at a decent angle and not like driving a bus?

Good luck with keeping it under 550kg with that engine+auto'box.

Frankly I think you're wasting your time trying to "re-invent the wheel" but we'll see.

[Edited on 19-6-2023 by adithorp]

Iomlocosts4

posted on 19/6/23 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
the diff and gearbox are in one frame. the engine is right in the middle. my feet will be just behind the front axle. I dont want to fabricate a shortened prop shaft, suspension arms or even find a shortened steering rack.
Slimy38

posted on 19/6/23 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
It certainly sounds like an interesting project, I look forward to the updates. What plans have you got for weight saving? There's a few threads on here where other builders have gone for a weight limit, here's an example;

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=164650

Have you drawn up some plans or have you got another source?

Iomlocosts4

posted on 19/6/23 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I originally wanted to use a modernised type 4 engine with a custom head and cams and crank but it is way more expensive than I thought. I also wanted to fabricate the suspension completely, uprights and suspension arms and all. I also wanted use a push belt cvt with strengthened pulleys and simplified control. I also wanted to fabricate the callipers using water jet cut titanium. I have bits and pieces and not much else. So I decided to go with what I have and just do it.

its not much different from the locost turned front to back.

Slimy38

posted on 19/6/23 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Iomlocosts4

The Midlana came to mind when I first read your post;

https://midlana.com/

They went for the mid engine design but with a FWD engine.

In any case, I look forward to the build pics!! I found a blog really useful for my own build, keeping it up to date after each stage helped me gauge what I did and what was next. Of course, I started ten years ago, so my build can't really be used as a comparison!

Iomlocosts4

posted on 19/6/23 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by Iomlocosts4

The Midlana came to mind when I first read your post;

https://midlana.com/

They went for the mid engine design but with a FWD engine.

In any case, I look forward to the build pics!! I found a blog really useful for my own build, keeping it up to date after each stage helped me gauge what I did and what was next. Of course, I started ten years ago, so my build can't really be used as a comparison!

That's what inspired me to do it. But I want a quicker build. That means simplification.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.