Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Furore Formula Build
Gre3D

posted on 8/7/17 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
looking good still!

i'd love to take it for a drive! i'm quite sure i would love this thing!

----------------------------
running a duratec ST engine'd locost for belgian slalom championship

russbost

posted on 12/7/17 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
I think the pic I posted on day 40 probably belongs here so I've put it in again! Day 41. Got the front loom finished off, touched in the back of bonnet with gel coat (split a bit when cutting it back), also sorted the shutline on the bonnet which I hadn't been entirely happy with. Finally rivetted the floor up, made & fitted chain guard/grease cover & popped the front & rear belts in

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
russbost

posted on 13/7/17 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
We're at day 42 & getting very near the end of the build now, today lots of small stuff, heat shield between exhaust & rear panel, helps to stop frying the rear passenger! Side repeaters, including wiring & clipping the wiring up in place, cover ball joints on top wishbones, arguable whether they need to be covered for IVA, but better safe than sorry, cable ties to front flexy hoses, fit mirrors, & pedal box bolts (these had been only loosely fitted till customer had tried it for size) & cover for exposed section of handbrake, again, arguable as to IVA requirement, I won't finally rivet this up until I've driven the car around on driveway & checked brake & handbrake operation

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
russbost

posted on 19/7/17 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Day 43, after much grief with their website the IVA application has now gone in! They will now only accept online applications through their website, unless you find yourself unable to make the app online, in which case you have to contact them & they will then allow you to make it by mail - they will NOT accept an email application! Having wasted a fair chunk of the day with IVA application, was quite pleased to get as much done as I have. Rear no. plate surround, fog & no. plate lights fitted along with mini loom attached to rear lower engine cover, made the cut outs in same, cut the sides down to fit past wheel arches (the lower rear deck is made to fit with different wheel sizes/spacers etc. so usually needs narrowing slightly) & cut the side pod floors & fit/rivet. They are different to each side as the OS is open behind the radiator to encourage a Bernoulli effect helping to suck air thro' the rad

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

russbost

posted on 27/7/17 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
Day 44, finish line in sight! Moved the gearlever back by 25mm at customers request. Fit steering rack spacers (they stop the steering from getting too much lock on which can cause mudguards to hit the lights). Edge trims fitted to front & rear wheel arches. edges of front & rear wing, gearshift cover & dash edges. I've included a couple of pics to show how I open the trim up to fit over the 6mm ali wing sides & end plates. First tap it down over a 3mm thick strip, then tap it down over a 5mm thick strip before finally fitting to the car, I use a drop of cyanocrylic glue (superglue!) every few inches to ensure it won't come adrift. Make up & fit chassis plate & etch the no. permanently onto the chassis tube with an engraving tool. Make & fit "windscreen" & fit edging to it. I think one more day will see it done! I'll include some of the pics with the next post as otherwise this one is going to get rather picture heavy!

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

russbost

posted on 1/8/17 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
All of main build complete on day 45! Last couple of pics of edging to arches & chassis no.s, had a bit of matt black to blow in on the rear upper engine cover securing strap, setup Acewell & check speedo, set gear/speeds so it can tell what gear you're in. Brief roadtest up & down drive, jack up & check each brake individually. Last job to be done is to check emissions, I now have the info I was waiting for re the Power Commander, so hopefully that should be straightforward. I won't post again until after IVA which is some way off at present, going to Leighton Buzzard as they've now closed Edmonton. Meanwhile if anyone knows of any good decal/graphics manufacturing firms &/or wrapping companies in the S.E. then please let me know, I'll be doing a separate post re getting the graphics/paint/wrapping done

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

russbost

posted on 30/8/17 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
Aug 30th, about a 6 week wait from application, IVA test at Leighton Buzzard, first time I've been here (Edmonton now closed) & first time tester had seen a Furore, so quite a lengthy test, but important thing was CAME AWAY WITH A PASS CERT! Always good news, however many cars you've taken in! Weather unfortunately was pants, but sort of stopped raining long enough at the requisite times for off loading & loading back up on the trailer! I've made a separate post re the test centre & tester - all good I would add!

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

So registration & a few post IVA jobs & then off to get it wrapped - watch this space!

02GF74

posted on 4/9/17 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
well done on passing first time.

I remember that place well and especially the slope leading to the testing bay (note the brick wall) - I had filled the petrol tank fully and once in the flat bay, petrol started to wee out! The test was almost over before it had started but once the petrol stopped coming out, it was business as usual.

russbost

posted on 7/9/17 at 07:46 AM Reply With Quote
Someone who's seen the build recently messaged me with a Q about the front headlamps/indicators, however, I can't remember the exact Q & I now can't find the message!

There are now too many ways of receiving messages, ie u2u, PM, whatsapp, messenger, email etc etc & I have had the build in 3 different places, locostbuilders, Furoreproducts/cars, Essex kitcar club, I've searched everywhere I can think of but can't find it, if whoever it was could please pose the Q again I will happily answer it!

gaz_gaz

posted on 7/9/17 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
it was me Russ. I sent it via face book message.
russbost

posted on 24/4/18 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Been a long time b4 I wanted to post the final pics of the car. Registration took nearly 2 months, but got it on the road for shakedown tests & immediately had an absolutely bl**dy awful issue with the ECU going into a really harsh limp home mode, snapping ignition off & back on several times a second when you hit 3,000rpm! Turn it off for 30 secs, turn it back on, fine, for maybe 2 miles maybe 10, maybe more, but knowing it's still going to do it again ..........

Never had anything like it b4, but never had a 2016 engine b4 either. To cut a very, very, very, long & stressful story short, many learned peeps were telling me this was the ECU not "seeing" ABS, traction control, the dash etc etc, after a visit to Rage motorsport for a reflash & no further forward & sending the ECU to the States at some considerable expense to have the problem half fixed, in that it now only cut on 2 cylinders at 3,000rpm! Add to this that I still had to get the car to & from the wrappers for the bodywork to be finished - not a fun time

I eventually returned to basics & removed all changes to the loom with the exception of removing the sidestand switch wiring, this sorted it, minor detail now being you could only start the car in neutral, not good if you've just managed to do something daft & stall it in a higher gear. To reinstate being able to start in any gear was way harder than expected, but eventually got it sorted - the rectification did not follow logic whatsoever, but it now has a press to start in addition to the ignition switch.

Fortunate that I had a very understanding customer & we had a really cr*p, cold & wet Winter so he didn't want to drive it anyway! (tho' that didn't make road testing easy or pleasant either! as, of course, it would never exhibit the problem in the garage, that would have been far too simple!)

All's well that ends well & he took the car last w/e & it now resides in the Tamworth area, he's a happy bunny & I've learnt an awful lot about ZX14's - firstly, NEVER listen to advice from anyone else!!!

I think it looks absolutely fantastic, quite the prettiest Furore I've built & doesn't so much turn heads as rip them from people's neck's!

I hope at least some of you will agree with me

The last pic is one of the car it is intended to be a tribute to, I feel it's a reasonable resemblance

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[img] Description
Description
[/img]

[Edited on 24/4/18 by russbost]

Angel Acevedo

posted on 24/4/18 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote

Excellent looking car...
I´d like one...
Congratulations.

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 25/4/18 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
Bloody hell Russ! That's very nice
I 'll just bookmark you as the go to guy for ZX14 issues

Gre3D

posted on 29/5/18 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
nice car!

----------------------------
running a duratec ST engine'd locost for belgian slalom championship

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.