Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: 2.3L supercharged Locost
J666AYP

posted on 13/11/17 at 02:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Angel,

The manifold pipes in the pic are 2mm wall thickness, this is just to make sure it does not crack when it heats up/cools (I'm not experienced in welding so better to do it once than twice). These lead into a 1.6mm wall merge pipe and then out to the 1.6mm exhaust.

Jay

[Edited on 13/11/17 by J666AYP]

big_wasa

posted on 13/11/17 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
Not to porky the. Worth thinking about, thanks.

[Edited on 13/11/17 by big_wasa]

scudderfish

posted on 13/11/17 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by J666AYP
Craigdiver,

Thanks mate! In all honesty I was expecting alot of negative responce for using something abit different. I have had a look at your thread, shes going to be fun for sure!

Jay

[Edited on 12/11/17 by J666AYP]

This is LCB, not a Caterham owners site

J666AYP

posted on 14/11/17 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Scudderfish,

Very good point well made.

Jay

J666AYP

posted on 24/11/17 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Got bored today so I thought I would do some work on the scuttle that did not fit....

Going to use this to make a fibreglass one.

J666AYP

posted on 1/12/17 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
This could work... Satnav, basic data logging, on the go faul reading and bluetooth connection to the gopro! will still use a normal digi dash for speed to keep Mr IVA tester happy.

[Edited on 1/12/17 by J666AYP]

scudderfish

posted on 1/12/17 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure you can read it in direct sunlight.
J666AYP

posted on 1/12/17 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
It has a sort of matt plastic cover over the screen to reduce sun glare, going to recess it abit aswel so it should work.

Plus the sun only comes out for two days on the average UK summer lol.

J666AYP

posted on 1/4/18 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Its been a busy winter at work so not much has been done. I have stitch welded the entire chassis joint by joint and started working out a few other bits. (welding done the other day after these pics were taken).

Jay

[Edited on 1/4/18 by J666AYP]

Ian2812

posted on 2/4/18 at 12:44 AM Reply With Quote
Very interested in this build...

Looks like you are hard at work creating a beast of a car here...

How long do reckon this will take to complete, and are you getting it road legal or track car?

Can't wait to see this one progress and see it when completed.

Good luck!

J666AYP

posted on 2/4/18 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks mate! has been alot of hard work so far.

I'm hoping to have it road legal for summertime 2020, having it done sooner would be nice but im too busy at work to get much time in the garage

Plus trying to hide money from the mrs with a wedding to pay for is proving difficult lol.

Jay

Ian2812

posted on 2/4/18 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Haha! I hear you with the wedding...

You haven't do too badly money wise up to now though, (with the costs you've advertised,) but its time that's more of an issue isn't it when building.

Keep the pics coming...

J666AYP

posted on 2/4/18 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah she seems to think dresses are more important than cars.... I will educate her!

And so far it owes me about 1k all in so not doing too bad.

And tell me about it, as soon as you change one bit that creates three more bits that need to be made or moved must have had that engine out atleast 10 times by now.

Jay

J666AYP

posted on 3/4/18 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Todays efforts...

froggy

posted on 3/4/18 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Where is the throttle situated ? The Merc used a big pwm operated bypass to stop any damage caused by shutting the throttle from high boost

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

J666AYP

posted on 3/4/18 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have ditched the standard electronic bypass/recirculation system.

Im using a dumpvalve and redirecting the excess charged air back into the induction system. Pretty basic but a whole lot less agro than trying to run merc electronic systems off aftermarket management.

Jay

froggy

posted on 3/4/18 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
So the throttle is after the blower and intercooler?

bi22le

posted on 3/4/18 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Im using a dumpvalve and redirecting the excess charged air back into the induction system. Pretty basic but a whole lot less agro than trying to run merc electronic systems off aftermarket management.

Jay

When (if ever!!) I get around the SC my 4age I was going to use this sort of thing for my M62. My plan was to run the correct ratio pullies to get the SC spinning fast enough to produce about 2 bar boost at about 6K. I believe 2bar is as good as these chargers can do before they become really inefficient. The bonus with this set up is that it can hit 2 bar earlier than max revs, providing more low down power and torque. Also as these are positive displacement chargers it wont 'waste' as much energy because its not putting more effort in as the revs increase (pressure is staying at 2bar). My final thought is that the M62 is large for my 1.6l engine and therefore it wont have to spin that hard to displace the air required to create the pressure, again improving efficiency.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forge-Splitter-Recirculation-Blow-Off-Dump-Valve-FMDVSPLTR-1-8-Turbo-BLACK-/121868713362?clk_rvr_id=1488294637192&utm_m edium=cpc&utm_source=twenga&utm_campaign=twenga&utm_param=eyJlcyI6MCwicyI6OTcyMDIzNywiY2kiOiIwMzM1MzNhNDU1NTkxNjZlYzM1ZDIwYTBlN2MwNjdjMCIs ImkiOiIxMjE4Njg3MTMzNjIiLCJ0cyI6MTUyMjc4NTAwMCwidiI6Mywic28iOjE1MDAsImMiOjEwNzA2M30%3D&rmvSB=true

Dial in the spring preload to 2 bar, dump the hot air out and away from the intake to improve air density.

Broom broom.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

froggy

posted on 3/4/18 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Jay

The electronic valve is there to catch the spike in pressure as the throttle shuts . With the throttle post charger there will be a delay from boost to vacuum which puts pressure on the bearings in the charger , I ran twin throttles as some mx5 conversions do or use a large diameter bov to help

J666AYP

posted on 3/4/18 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Froggy,

"The electronic valve is there to catch the spike in pressure as the throttle shuts . With the throttle post charger there will be a delay from boost to vacuum which puts pressure on the bearings in the charger , I ran twin throttles as some mx5 conversions do or use a large diameter bov to help"

I dont think im on the same wavelength mate....

Even the standard merc setup uses the electric throttle type thing after the charger? As far as I understand it all it does is dump excess boost back into the airbox to reduce pressure drops? would a DV not do the same thing if routed into the airbox?

Also would it not make sence to mount this after the intercooler so im blowing cold air back into the inlet instead of hot air?

Confused.com

Jay

[Edited on 3/4/18 by J666AYP]

J666AYP

posted on 3/4/18 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote

froggy

posted on 3/4/18 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
It’s a by pass and being electronic it will open before the throttle shuts where a vac operated valve will need enough vac to pull the bypass open . It’s a mechanical pump at the end of the day so pumping against a shut throttle will put load onto the bearings in the charger . You’ll need a valve around the same size as the original

J666AYP

posted on 3/4/18 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm okay.... that makes sence. So in theroy a large dump valve could do near enough the same thing with out all of the electrical nightmares as long as it has the correct spring for the boost levels?

If that idea fails how would one go about rigging a 2nd mechanical throttle to open when needed? or is the only real way round it to go electric?

Jay

froggy

posted on 3/4/18 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Throttle pre charger will stop any issues , the little Mini Cooper bypass valves are only £30 and plenty big enough if you run a throttle in front of the charger

J666AYP

posted on 3/4/18 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Are those mini ones vac operated?

Heres a pic I got off google (sorry if its anyones).

So the flanged end would have a MAP/MAF sensor and then the cone filter?

[IMG]http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff462/jayxr2zetec/ysSv0IY7.jpg[/IM G]

Jay

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.