Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Converting track car to road car
ian996

posted on 12/8/22 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
Converting track car to road car

How difficult is it? Is it going to be a absolute baller or doable?

If the chassis is a track only chassis, can it be modified for road use? I know I'll need lights and everything else to pass the inspection, just worried about potential sticking points or deal breakers.

Car in question.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165617344884?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=cf8UUgWJQla&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=RXXdej1kRom &var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

David Jenkins

posted on 12/8/22 at 12:26 PM Reply With Quote
Physically, anything is possible - there's no windscreen so wipers and demist won't be a problem, lights and indicators you know about, sharp and angular bits can be dealt with, etc. Brake pipes and wiring loom may need re-routing or tidying up. You will probably need a set of road tyres.

You may find more issues with meeting the regulations for emissions and noise. It will have been checked for noise at the tracks, but that's probably higher than in the IVA.

ReMan

posted on 15/8/22 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Wow thats a beasty
Obviously there no such thing as track only and the Striker is essentially a road kit, so nothing inherent to stop it being put on the rams.
That siad there'd be plenty of bits to do as the fundamentals of the build MAY not have been done to IVA reqs.
But it would be a good project.
Take all the sharp fancy bits off, and then break out the rubber trim and cable ties to get the fixtures fittings and wiring up to scratch

Edit to say its gone now, so did you buy it?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

pigeondave

posted on 15/8/22 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be weary about the chassis. Years ago a few race weight Fury chassis' made it out onto the road.

They were great for track and being racecars were supposed to be checked over before every outing. On the road they would rip out mounting points due to the section walls being thinner, this is how the lightweight was achieved.

If it's a road chassis then as described above, anything is possible.
If it is truly a lightweight chassis, ( I don't know about strikers), then I would allow for a rechassis are some point, or strengthening works.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
obfripper

posted on 15/8/22 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
It is a track chassis, so the front suspension mounts are above the upper chassis rail and rear ones repositioned to match, iirc this makes the chassis run 75mm lower than a road chassis.
This is workable on the road if the vehicle is flat floored, and raised a bit from the race setup, too much will upset the handling though.

Because of the lowered chassis, there are no provisions for headlamp mounts, so this will need to be addressed as the upper arms now sit where the bottom of the headlamp would be, this shouldn't be too tricky but needs to be done with reference to the requirements in the iva manual.

Afaik the standard striker tr chassis was the same tubing spec as the road version, but they did make lightweight versions to order as well - it might be hard to tell if it's not on the paperwork for the chassis.

Dave

ian996

posted on 16/8/22 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
It's been relisted.

I got in contact with MK, they showed me their IVA video.

Having had a good look and think about it, i've decided against it. Reserve is 9.5k, which I think is well priced, but I'll need to spend a few quid stripping and rebuilding to get it roadworthy and while it may be doable, is just at the wrong time for me at the moment.

Heart says yes, head says no!

Thanks for the feedback, particularly on how to recognise a TR chassis.

TimC

posted on 19/8/22 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
That car is in a not too dissimilar condition to my IVA start point.

I'm afraid that it is another forum but I've done a sort-of build story at https://kitnet.uk/community/threads/iva-prep-thread-conversion-from-track-car.3178/

Its a bit out of date.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.