Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Nearly there....
jmbillings

posted on 31/3/02 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
Nearly there....

The coming week me and Steve are both off work for a big painting session... then it is just a few bits of trim and we should be set! SVA date April 23rd... poooooop. It has an MOT on this Tues for a quick once over by someone else.
If painting goes well, I'll post a couple of pics next weekend!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jmbillings

posted on 31/3/02 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Here are some pics.... First, as it is now:

And the dash (hasn't done 54 miles, honest!)

And the nose, fettled cuz the Lolocost nose is a bit small...

And the colour it will be! Doesnt come out well on the rather tossy digicam I used though...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 31/3/02 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Looking good JM,

Is that a built in calculator on your tranny tunnel?

I like the colour too.

Cheers

Chris

jmbillings

posted on 31/3/02 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, not a calculator, its the immobilizer. Enter yer 4 digit pin and yer card gets spat out. Or something
Rgds,
James.

theconrodkid

posted on 31/3/02 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
good luck with the inspection Where are you having it SVA,d?
jmbillings

posted on 31/3/02 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
We are going to Derby. Heard they are fair. Steve spoke to "Alf", who said he basically doesnt have time for paperwork, he's an engineer- so he doesnt sound like a jobsworth who will fail us for something daft!
Dazza

posted on 31/3/02 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
if you are lucky, as conrod will tell you, they are gits down south!!! isn't that right Bob and Conrod.

fuckit

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

theconrodkid

posted on 31/3/02 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Their only doing their jobs but they must have a few pages missing out of the book up north , looking at your pic i can see a few failures but it wil be interesting to seegood luck keep us posted
jmbillings

posted on 31/3/02 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, definitely a few fail points at the moment- we haven't done any sharp edge covering yet especially, waiting till after it's painted
bob

posted on 31/3/02 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Best of luck JM from the southern section,car is looking good.

theconrodkid

posted on 31/3/02 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
The pink wings are a definate fail
jmbillings

posted on 5/4/02 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
OK, quick update-
First MOT failed, cuz the headlights we got from Newark last year were for LH Drive! Shite- explains why they were cheap... We got new ones (much nicer, but 4 times the price...) and all is now well, we have an MOT!
Painting: Fibreglass bits are all now blue and look sex. car body has been etch primed and proper-primed, much rubbing down tomorrow before its coats of blue, then reassembly next weekend! Wohoo... etc.

David Jenkins

posted on 5/4/02 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
OK, quick update-
First MOT failed, cuz the headlights we got from Newark last year were for LH Drive!

Looks v. good!

Were the headlamps those black plastic ones from the car electrics place?

If so, they come set up for bolting onto a vertical surface - to use them on Locosts you have to rotate the glass bit in the plastic surround (warm air on the plastic helps).

If they aren't these ones... just ignore my ramblings!

David

jmbillings

posted on 5/4/02 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Very possibly- we had to rotate one anyway as it was like you describe (the "top" marking was 90 deg. from the mount, not 180), but even after this, when the MOT tester put it against his machine the beam "kicks up" on the right, not the left (i.e lights up people coming towards you not the verge...) Rotating 180 wouldnt help as they would dip upwards not downwards. Still, better to have found out then than on the SVA in a couple of weeks! New ones much nicer, metal body, chrome trim ring around the lens
David Jenkins

posted on 5/4/02 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Odd - mine kick up on the left...

theconrodkid

posted on 5/4/02 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
I got them headlights too just rotated them a few degrees and mr sva said ok,so dont bin them sell them!
chrisg

posted on 5/4/02 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Can someone explain to me how these LHD lights can be altered to work, I've got some of them!!

Cheers

Chris

theconrodkid

posted on 5/4/02 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
Dead easy matey boy turn the glass a few degrees and the up line will become the bottom line,the bottom line will become theup line but on the other side
andyd

posted on 5/4/02 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
First MOT failed...

Does this mean that you have to get an MOT before the SVA? I'm sure I heard Mark Evans on "A Car is Born" say that the SVA lot will do an MOT certificate at the same time based on the fact that they are really doing a more stingent version. I'd guess you still have to pay but I only want to take the car to one place before I can drive it, not two.

Also, how do you go about getting a chassis number? I know this isn't the correct thread but it's close

jmbillings

posted on 5/4/02 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, I see what you mean for the fix for the lights... tilt them so the other side of the V is level...Ah well, the MOT bloke said he couldn't see anything that could be done, and the new ones are much nicer anyway!

I dont think you *have* to have an MOT before SVA- we did because we would rather obvious things were pointed out then, rather than the expensive-weekday-only test. Still doesnt mean we will pass of course, but imagine if the lights were the only thing wrong on the SVA, and the twist-fix wasn't suggested! How annoying? As for a chassis number, Steve sorted it- I think he rang the local registration office (ours was Peterborough) and they sorted it...

jmbillings

posted on 6/4/02 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Latest painting picture.... need it to go hard now!

Dunc

posted on 6/4/02 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Can you not get the beam bender sticker things for the headlights that you use for continental driving, then reverse them.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.