Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA Fails
mistergrumpy

posted on 27/11/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
SVA Fails

There's some belting cars on here that have rightfully passed SVA first time but I wondered what the most dramatic or worst fails we've had. I recall someone mentioning someone failed on brakes and weren't allowed to drive it back home. That would be the worst I reckon, that or chassis fail. I think someone had a page or so of fails too.
Just got me thinking as I've posted my application today and right enough don't expect a 1st time pass, more a "quick avoid the IVA" test.

RK

posted on 27/11/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
If it were me, and I will deal with a similar sort of test eventually myself, I would have someone who knows, give your car a very close look over so you can avoid a possible fail.

From what I've seen, as long as you cover up the edges, your brakes work, and oil isn't going everywhere, people appear to do OK. THIS IS NOT FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE!

mistergrumpy

posted on 27/11/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not bothered about a fail personally, though being stranded and not being able to drive back would be stressful but I take the fail as a kind of constructive criticism. I'll sort it out and all will be done.
Just wondered at any big fails.

RoadkillUK

posted on 27/11/08 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
Link to my SVA fail info page thing

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BenB

posted on 27/11/08 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
My first fail sheet went onto a second page
mookaloid

posted on 28/11/08 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
I think some of the worst fails were probably those Aluminium tub Robin Hood thingys which were pronounced death traps and would never be allowed to pass

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Dingz

posted on 28/11/08 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Aluminium tub Robin Hood thingys which were pronounced death traps and would never be allowed to pass

It was a very poorly built one which caused the problem, since then several have gone through with strengthening mods.

Simon

posted on 28/11/08 at 12:50 AM Reply With Quote
Just searched for my post re my first test and came up with this:

"Minor points involve spring brackets need covering - got the rest, just missed them.

Steel tube above passenger shins needs covering.

Steering wheel incompatible with column and fail on radii so replace with Sierra item.

Couple of loose wires need tidying.

Speedo read 70 and it was doing 81. Ooops.

Brake fluid reservoir switch didn't work - checked already and it's the contacts inside so will renew.

Major point was bonnet. Driver doesn't have full unobstructed view of road.,

Noise test went basically - "I'm not going to test sound because you're allowed 101db and that makes my ears hurt.

No checks on mirrors from what I could tell. Maybe had a quick look while he was in it.

Self centering ok.

Brakes all fine."

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs

posted on 28/11/08 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
Link to my SVA fail info page thing

Thats a good page
Have i missed it or is there nowhere on the page for the examiner to mark the welding/chassis?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

dogwood

posted on 28/11/08 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Roadkill

How the fek did you overcome the radi thing on the suspention?

David

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

02GF74

posted on 28/11/08 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dogwood
Hi Roadkill

David

yeah, that sharp edge can caused terrible dmaage....

but you not got an angle grinder?

round off the edge, like below (not the best photo). Rescued attachment sa.JPG
Rescued attachment sa.JPG

bimbleuk

posted on 28/11/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I could easily have failed on having lost a bolt holding one of the rear brake calipers on! Thankfully the tester decided to have a tea break just then so I could nip to a scrappy and get another one.

I had my car checked by RAW before the test and they changed a few things except one switch which I disagreed with. The tester failed the one they fitted but I had kept the one I fitted in my pocket and swapped it back.

chrisg

posted on 28/11/08 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
The most spectacular fail I ever saw was a club member, I'll save his blushes, who had to literally start again.

The major cause was his "mate" who fancied himself as a welder - he was sadly deluded.

The list of unsatisfactory welding ran to 4 pages, the tester decided to stop - he wasn't finished.

The guy had to completely strip the car and have it properly welded and some of the tubes replaced.

I've seen untidy welding, I've seen ugly welding but this was the original chiken-sh*t welding. And the chicken had been on the guiness and vindaloo the night before!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Humbug

posted on 28/11/08 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi Roadkill

David

Here's what I did:

1. rad hose cut out and slipped on to the lower arm thingy (can't see it very well, but it's got a sort of letter box hole cut in the back to go over the arm)

2. bike inner tube cut and superglued round the spring adjuster ring

RoadkillUK

posted on 28/11/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Hi Roadkill

David

Hi David, like 02GF74 said, use an angle grinder to round them off and some kind chap on here (goes to find out who) ... it was Northy, he doesn't seem to post these days, lent me some RC tyres to cover the bottom of the shocks, they were a perfect fit.

HTH

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mistergrumpy

posted on 28/11/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I hink that Chrisg's is the best one ther. 4 pages! That would be really bad. I bet the fella was cringing with embarassment. Then not being able to drive the thing home and worst of all having to start again! I don't think I could cope with that.
That's a good tip by the way O2GF74. You really are helping me too much

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.