Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: what shall I build??
AndyW

posted on 14/2/10 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
what shall I build??

Hello,

here's my problem. I as most only have limited funds to start my build. £2k and thats it for now. I have someone who owes me some money but instead is giving me a mini 1275gt clubman (old shape). Now I really want to build a kit and am giving myself 2 years to build and get on road (ready for when I turn 40 )

Whats the best option as I've seen the GBS Zero and that seem to include alot of items with it or should I just restore the mini, or sell the mini to help fund a kit. I will have my garage finished as still building, by the end of march latest and want to start something in April.

Whats everyone's opinions as to whats the best route? Any advise or opinions welcome and any general steer me in the right direction!!

omega0684

posted on 14/2/10 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
why not restore the mini?

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Richard Quinn

posted on 14/2/10 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
I've seen an add for the GBS Zero package for £4500 inc VAT that includes, amongst other stuff, a brand new Zetec, wheels, windscreen, loom, shocks, lights etc. I have absolutely no idea what GBS or the Zero are like bit that's got to be worth a look at that price
Miks15

posted on 14/2/10 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Restore the mini with a modern engine?
ali f27

posted on 14/2/10 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
hi if the mini is a genuine gt then restore it and sell it this would give you more funds to build a kit
deezee

posted on 14/2/10 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
If your on a budget, have you considered a Haynes Roadster? Save a massive lump of cash by making the chassis yourself?

madteg

posted on 14/2/10 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
This is what i am going to do. With twin bike engines, but may take a while. Rescued attachment stainless atom.jpg
Rescued attachment stainless atom.jpg

Simon

posted on 14/2/10 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
If someone is offering you a car in lieu of cash, then they thnk they are probably doing slightly better than you think, so first thing to do is revalue the Mini.

If, for eg, he owes you £500 and you're taking the (basketcase) Mini, then as far as you're concerned, the Mini is worth £300 or much less as appropriate. He has to chuck in more "Added Value", unless of course, the Mini is a five fig minter (and he owes you £5 hundred).

ATB

Simon

/\/\/\ Big blingy, but I like

[Edited on 14/2/10 by Simon]

hicost blade

posted on 14/2/10 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=130136
spiderman01980

posted on 14/2/10 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
That is what i had in the garage a bare shell clubman for about 6years with the plan of restoring it but never got round to doing it then sold it for £400 and put it towards my kitcar which i bought in march last year and is nearly finished!
I personaly wouldn`t take the car i would rather have the money but if you fancy a mini then go for it but in my opinion they are a lot more hard work then locost kitcars!

Brommers

posted on 14/2/10 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Dumb question perhaps, but if the Mini's worth what he owes you, why doesn't he just sell the Mini and give you the cash? Sounds like you're getting bent over to me...
AndyW

posted on 14/2/10 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
its not a case of being done over. I did a job for him and instead of being paid we agreed on the mini as a little project for an R1 engine, problem is I really want to build a kit. They guy has several mini's as he used to race and collected them. I want something with a bike engine and it seems doing it to a mini is way too costly....
Steve Hignett

posted on 14/2/10 at 09:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW
its not a case of being done over. I did a job for him and instead of being paid we agreed on the mini as a little project for an R1 engine, problem is I really want to build a kit. They guy has several mini's as he used to race and collected them. I want something with a bike engine and it seems doing it to a mini is way too costly....

Why do you think that?

spiderman01980

posted on 14/2/10 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
if the cost is a problem then i would recomend a kitcar with a mini there`s a lot of chopping and converting involved for a bike engine and it can be pricy, with a kit its a lot more simple that is what i found anyway as i thought of doing it to my mini but am glad i chose the kitcar!
AndyW

posted on 14/2/10 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
quote:
Originally posted by AndyW

Why do you think that?

Is it not then??? Do tell more.....

RK

posted on 14/2/10 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Why not do the Mini, sell the Mini, build the kit car later? Just an idea. I wouldn't know where to start on the Mini, but I think they are cool as...
hicost blade

posted on 14/2/10 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever you think you are going to spend building one of these fine machines..........Double it

Mine has cost over 4 times what I thought it would.....

Simon

posted on 20/2/10 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I think if you're looking at zcars et al then yes, you're looking at a lot of money. If you do your own conversion, using bits you make, you'll do it cheaper.

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.