Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Somewhere to put a parking permit on a Locost?
David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/18 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Somewhere to put a parking permit on a Locost?

Now here's a different question for the collective...

I would like to display a special parking permit on my Locost's windscreen - it's a sheet of stiff paper about 22cm x 10cm - but I need to make sure it doesn't get stolen, as it will be in a public car park. If I could do this securely it would mean that my wife can use our tin-top independently while I'm out (on dry days, of course!).

Such a thing would also be useful if we go out in the Locost and want to park in a pay-and-display.

Has anyone done this, or made up anything along these lines?

[Edited on 5/7/18 by David Jenkins]

Slimy38

posted on 4/7/18 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Bonded to the back of a sun visor would make sense to me? Assuming you have a sun visor?

For pay and display tickets I'd go for a tax disc holder, or make sure I used one where I pay by phone and not have to display a ticket at all. Quite a few are doing it now.

bi22le

posted on 4/7/18 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Have a look on the internet for secure disabled badge holders.

I have seen in central London HD plastic binders that when combined with a bike lock around the steering wheels are inaccessible and can not be removed.

Because thieving a-holes live in London, they are hot property. Even if it does take away the little freedom a disabled person may have.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

bi22le

posted on 4/7/18 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

I have seen in central London HD plastic binders that when combined with a bike lock around the steering wheels are inaccessible and can not be removed.

Because thieving a-holes live in London, they are hot property. Even if it does take away the little freedom a disabled person may have.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F302791096793

An example

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/18 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Bonded to the back of a sun visor would make sense to me? Assuming you have a sun visor?

For pay and display tickets I'd go for a tax disc holder, or make sure I used one where I pay by phone and not have to display a ticket at all. Quite a few are doing it now.

No sun visor. A tax disc holder wouldn't be big enough. Also, the permit has to be easily accessible as I have to write the time and date on it each time I park.

It's not a parking ticket as such - it's a permit to park in certain restricted parking bays.

David Jenkins

posted on 4/7/18 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

I don't think my parking permit would fit one of those - but they do give me some ideas for making something...

joneh

posted on 5/7/18 at 06:31 AM Reply With Quote
Mount two pieces of Perspex with a piano hinge one end and a small hole for a padlock the other. I don't think you can go too secure or it'll just be a ball ache every time you change the date / time.

Or

Glue it to the back of a piece of Perspex and write the date / time on the front with a board marker / pen.

Jon

indykid

posted on 5/7/18 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Who polices the parking? As you have a distinctive car, if it's administered internally, can you let them know you're coming?

The bonded to acrylic/polycarb and permanent marker solution sounds like a good approach otherwise, though don't use acetone to take the permanent marker off acrylic!

owelly

posted on 6/7/18 at 05:36 AM Reply With Quote
I made a dash panel out of clear Perspex, but sprayed black from behind. I masked out a circle for the tax disc (back in the distant past when we had to display them) and fitted it behind the dash showing through the clear circle. The only way to get to the disc was to put your hand up behind the dash. Could you do something similar, but with a size to suit your permit? Write your time on the permit, then stick your hand up behind the dash and Blu-tac or Velcro it on?

ETA... I found a picky of my old dash. You can't see the window for the disc, but you can get the idea?!
Plaggy Dash
Plaggy Dash

[Edited on 6/7/18 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 6/7/18 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
Who polices the parking? As you have a distinctive car, if it's administered internally, can you let them know you're coming?

It's a hospital car park, with random jobs-worth blokes wandering around at random intervals looking to see if cars have the correct pay-and-display tickets and/or permits visible through the front windscreen. I wouldn't rely on them to (1) remember that a particular car has a permit, and (2) look anywhere else for for it other than through the windscreen.

Anyway - I have a cunning plan - I'm going to spend some time today trying to construct something that I dreamed up at around 1:00am while lying sleepless in bed the other night! I'll post details... if it works OK.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.