Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Who's building outside??
Danozeman

posted on 31/1/05 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
Who's building outside??

As above. Is there anyone thats building outside and not in a garage or summit??

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

chunkielad

posted on 31/1/05 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah baby!!! In a little extension lean to and outside is the best I get!!! I made a dodgy shelter out of a tarpaulin but it isn't any use really!!! I'll post a pic tomorrow!!!

The 'build area' is also so full that I can not actually build in there anyway. Thing is, by the time I finnish th attic conversion, it should be warm enough to work outside anyway - or that's what I keep telling myself!!!!

Danozeman

posted on 31/1/05 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
He he. Im building in all weathers on my patio. Then the final build will be on my driveway so i can actually get to the road with it.. Its alot of f'ing about but i aint got no money to put a garage on yet.. And i want to get on with it..

Dan

ReMan

posted on 31/1/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yep
Car port.
Its got a roof, so I dont get rained on, otherwise its fully outside!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

wilkingj

posted on 31/1/05 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, Car Port here as well... Except its now got sides, and steel fronted. I will have to dismantle one side to get the car out. ie its entombed and chained to the steel structure!
At least I have lights and power there as well.
Spent too much time and money making the carport safe and warmer, and got bugger all done on the car
Plus the budget has suffered

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
niceperson709

posted on 31/1/05 at 11:29 PM Reply With Quote
Even in sunny australia I have done most of my build on in open carport fine untill our wet season and then every thing gets wet , not good for unpainted steel though

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Lovely warm dry garage here

I'd recommend at least building a lean too.. Rust builds up quick, especially when it's open to the elements!!!

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

jollygreengiant

posted on 1/2/05 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
Was going to build in the shed,.............. but (Yep I've already had the no hair, etc, jokes)couldn't get it in there ( see 'good news bad news' ). Soooo I am forced, at the mo, to build on my patio, next to the fish pond. (Must be careful about steping back.) Funniest bit was that it had been sitting next to my neibours back door for a week before she noticed it.

Enjoy.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Danozeman

posted on 1/2/05 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
My plan is to knock u lean to type thing. Ive had me engine and axle under a tarpaulin for ages now. The rust dont seem to have got anyworse.

Im building my car on a very very tight budget and trying to keep it to the LOWcost side so money for a car port aint an option although i would like one..

Dan

Guinness

posted on 1/2/05 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah!! I'm in the outside, cold and dark. Got a lean to carport so it's dry at least. It was either that or move house.
greggors84

posted on 1/2/05 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
I started building mine in a open barn, then moved it to my house at uni and had in on the patio behind the house. Wasnt too bad, but it was from may to august. Just kept a tarp on it and tried to keep as much water out of it as possible.
Then mooved it back to the barn, and now its in my garage at home. So will keep the rust at bay.
If you are doing it on a budget, try and knock up a cheap frame and sling a tarpaulin over it to keep you sheltered a bit if it does rain a little, as the way the weather is at the moment you wont be able to work on it for another 6 months!

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

Danozeman

posted on 2/2/05 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
i think ill knock up and wooden frame and sling a tarp over..

Dan

BMF

posted on 3/2/05 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
No luxury of a car port here! I am doing mine fully exposed!!!!!
James

posted on 3/2/05 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BMF
I am doing mine fully exposed!!!!!

You must live in a very liberal area.

Guess you're not building it in Guildford!

Cheers,
James

DarrenW

posted on 3/2/05 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
I built myself a 29' x 13' garage, brick built with pitch roof. Gargoyle on front to ward off evil spirits. Workshop at the back. Nice build space at the front. 2 super sers and a patio heater for warmth. Strip lights and spots. Forgot to fit sink and toilet though.

Wife wants to move now so ill have to make do with a standard single or double (if im lucky enough) next. This will be true hardship (especially having to get rid of some gear for downsizing purposes).

BMF

posted on 3/2/05 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
You right there James, we don't do that kind of thing in Godalming don't you know!

Currently it is on my parents drive in Salisbury.

Peteff

posted on 3/2/05 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Wife wants to move now.

You can stay in touch by phone though Darren

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

madman280

posted on 7/2/05 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
For 5 years I worked on mine out in the driveway. This winter i set up one of those temparary garges that look like a big white tent. Was $300. Has kept the snow off and has allowed me to keep everything out of storage for the winter. Not one for cold weather....but have access to a heater and could work out there if i wasn't sick of working in the cold on cars already. Being a mechanic in Canada can really suck. I do take bits to work and tinker a bit when time permits after hours, but my employer deosn't allow us to work on anything that can't be rolled out of sight during work hours. A tarp over it might be possible when its rolling on four wheels.

CJ

DarrenW

posted on 7/2/05 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Petef

What a fantastic idea. Never thought of that solution. I was talking to mangogroove workshop yesterday, his advice was divorce her - perfect grounds.

Darren.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.