Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Which kit? and insurance costs for 21 year old!
DelboyMatt

posted on 19/2/06 at 11:18 PM Reply With Quote
Which kit? and insurance costs for 21 year old!

I am currently 20 (21 in about 3 months) and have about £3000 to spend on a caterham "type" kit car. I would ideally be looking for one that I can insure on classic car insurance! and as its a second car to my Alfa 156(for cost reasons).

I was wondering what the best cars for the job are? I have seen Robin Hood/ Tiger/MK cars e.t.c which seem good value, are they as fun as the caterham?

Any tips/pointers e.t.c would be greatly appreciated!

Also what would insurance costs be likely to be for a 21 year old?

Thanks!!

[Edited on 19/2/06 by DelboyMatt]

zxrlocost

posted on 19/2/06 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
22 R1 MK four hundred quid!

and they dont use your no claims

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

DelboyMatt

posted on 19/2/06 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
22 R1 MK four hundred quid!

and they dont use your no claims

That's sounding very nice

What engine is in that? who was that through?

I've heard lots of praise the MK cars, can someone give me a run down on them?, the kind of prices they go for and the best place to source one. (ie autotrader e.t.c)

Thanks

stevec

posted on 19/2/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Best place to get a MK is MK. Great bunch of guys and enthusiastic and helpful.

http://www.mk-sportscars.fsnet.co.uk/

[Edited on 19/2/06 by stevec]

[Edited on 19/2/06 by stevec]

DelboyMatt

posted on 19/2/06 at 11:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would be looking at a pre built one really, as much as I would love to build my own, I simply dont have the time or space
indykid

posted on 20/2/06 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
when i was 19, my premium was £827.40, so it should be less than that.

i'm wondering what renawal's gonna be like with a fault claim to my name? i don't suppose it matters though if they never pay out, as they haven't done. it's been 3 months, 3 days. no resolution.

don't expect things to happen fast with kit insurance.
tom

stevebubs

posted on 20/2/06 at 12:46 AM Reply With Quote
This would make a good cheap starter kit...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sylva-Leader-400-1600cc-Twin-Cam-Twin-40s_W0QQitemZ4614740987QQcategoryZ29750QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

zxrlocost

posted on 20/2/06 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
matt thats an r1 bike engine

your price bracket may need looking at though mate

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

zxrlocost

posted on 20/2/06 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
might get one if your lucky for 4k

bike engine ones 6k upwards

a minter bike engine one 8-9k

DelboyMatt

posted on 20/2/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
matt thats an r1 bike engine

your price bracket may need looking at though mate

Oh haha I see, I thought it was a revision of the MK platform, rather than the Yamaha R1 engine... bet thats fun!

zxrlocost

posted on 20/2/06 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
its not finished yet if you have a look in the BEC section Ive just put some pics up under r1 widowmaker

but yes they are very quick 0-60 in under 4 secs

and that sound

Hellfire

posted on 20/2/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
.....i don't suppose it matters though if they never pay out, as they haven't done. it's been 3 months, 3 days. no resolution.

tom

Tom, we were insured through Adrian Flux and were paid out within three weeks of having the accident Who are you with??

Matt, with a budget of around £3,000 I doubt whether you'd get a road going MK. If you're lucky you just might be able to pick a decent Locost up for that amount but forget about bike engined. If you can't stretch your budget, it may be worth keeping an eye out for a part built kit car and completing it as and when funds allow.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Phil

DelboyMatt

posted on 20/2/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
quote:
Originally posted by indykid
.....i don't suppose it matters though if they never pay out, as they haven't done. it's been 3 months, 3 days. no resolution.

tom

Tom, we were insured through Adrian Flux and were paid out within three weeks of having the accident Who are you with??

Matt, with a budget of around £3,000 I doubt whether you'd get a road going MK. If you're lucky you just might be able to pick a decent Locost up for that amount but forget about bike engined. If you can't stretch your budget, it may be worth keeping an eye out for a part built kit car and completing it as and when funds allow.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Phil

I might be able to go to £4000 and (knowing me, even more if I really like it )

I am quite happy with a 2.0 pinto engine type car for the moment (I presume thats around a 6 second car?)

If MK hold their value really well, what about something like a Robin hood? as they seem to be quite cheap, or are they a different class? (Also how do all these compare to something like a caterham?)

JoelP

posted on 20/2/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
id aim to spend 2k on a genuine homemade locost, and leave a grand to cover insurance and a few simple mods. Job done.
daz_derby

posted on 20/2/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
how about a dutton phaeton? not the prettiest but can be bought pretty cheap like this one

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dutton-Phaeton-kit-car-1600cc-Not-a-Q-plate_W0QQitemZ4614990008QQcategoryZ29750QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

take off the mecanno spoiler and maybe change the wheels for some nice ones and away you go, maybe even put a 2.0litre pinto in once you get bored of the 1.6

joetait

posted on 20/2/06 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
£3k budget??

That'll be a locost P.O.S model with household copper piping for the coolant system and a lump of smokey pig iron under the bonnet then.
If you dont know the arguements between an MK se7en and a Caterham Seven then I think you'll need to do your homework first.... one is triple the price of the other......

Whatever people say about Caterham owners being tossers, the cars are usually properly spec'd up - a friends Superlight has AP brakes, bespoke caterham gearbox, quaife LSD diff, genuine carbon fibre wheel arches, nose, dash and tillet seats, all from the factory!
After 9 years of use, it still holds its own on any track.
Servicing needed nothing more serious than a new clutch release bearing, 2 clutch cables and a steering rack in 60k miles! (oh and many, many sets of tyres of course!)

If you're worried about the cost of insurance and on a budget of only £3-£4k, then I'd either stick to your 90's hot hatches or get a sports bike, (which'll be as fast as you can go for the money - my old 1999 ZX6R cracks 168Mph by the book and only cost £500 to insure with no NCB on my *first year* - oh yeah, and it'll reach 60 in low 3 seconds, in 1st gear!).
I built a Dax Rush with an R1 engine and that doesnt nearly give the same sense of speed and adrenaline thrills as my bike, and it cost well over £13k to build!
Could have bought 2 new 600's bikes for that price!

DarrenW

posted on 20/2/06 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I started off thinking of a 4K budget. I realised quickly the 5 - 5.5K was more realsitic for what i wanted. Ended up costing just over 7K on the road. I did some deals and sold some surplus bits etc so i only spent 6K in cash if you know what i mean.
At 4K there arent many new kits you could build. This throws you into unfinished kit territory or locost.
Other option is to spend your 4K now on starter kit plus some extras to get you going over the first 3 months and spend the rest over the next 12 months. If i tried harder i could have done mine easily for 5K. I spent £1500+ on digidash, fancy exhaust, new brakes, wheels/tyres, Samco hoses, head porting and cam, savage switches, fancy seats etc etc . If i took longer to find cheap parts off ebay etc, used more donor bits (switch gear, clocks, engine without mods etc) or fabricated my own then i could have spent a lot less.

I have been very impressed with my ease of build. Mac#1 is a well sorted kit. The bits i wasnt sure of were quickly dealt with by Mac#1 (in terms of advice and assistance). Initial spend with Mac#1 is slightly higher than others but overall they come in at roughly the same cost. I cant fault the quality of the bits i got off them and i have been known to liken their customer service to legendary status - but i wont say that again as it provokes reaction from other builders who havent experienced it first hand

TotalkitCar live at Oulton park is highly recommended to visit so you can see many marques and do some comparisons. You might even get a passenger ride in some demo cars.

DelboyMatt

posted on 20/2/06 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
I thought that price range was reasonable, esp 4k as I saw a stunning black westfield at a classic car show last year for around £4k and that had been totally overhauled and looked (Might even still have the pics on my PC somewhere with the original advert). I presume MK's e.t.c have the look of a caterham but parts such as brakes from donor cars like sierras and the like? I've driven my friends caterham 7 and that was a lot of fun. Lots of my friends are bikers and I was tempted by a little Cagiva Mito to start off with, but I am a car man through and through. Not a fan of hot hatches, as I just get ideas of chavs and the Alfa I have is a great car, but I just want the absolute rawness of these lotus 7 type cars

[Edited on 20/2/06 by DelboyMatt]

Jon Ison

posted on 20/2/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joetait
That'll be a locost P.O.S model with household copper piping for the coolant system and a lump of smokey pig iron under the bonnet then.

Like this you mean, under £4k too build complete with smoking pig iron engine and no brakes ?? Rescued attachment dony_-_isonblade_in_pits.jpg
Rescued attachment dony_-_isonblade_in_pits.jpg

Wadders

posted on 20/2/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just done a quick scan of findit, most a bit above your price range, but at this time of year you never know what someone might take.

http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/cars/305353.php
http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/cars/477419.php
http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/cars/437427.php
http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/cars/378090.php
http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/projects/298826.php

[Edited on 20/2/06 by Wadders]

joetait

posted on 20/2/06 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Yup!

So what's the blury / shiny photo supposed to show?!?
What is the build quality like?
What Engine, Gearbox, Diff Brakes? - has any thought gone into the design and prep of the chassis or is it a cheaply hammerited mesh of poorly welded assortment of steel tubes?
No offence, but £3k - £4k wont buy a used kitcar of any quality that you'd want to keep..... especially if your mechanically inexperienced.

Jon Ison

posted on 20/2/06 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joetait
So what's the blury / shiny photo supposed to show?!?
What is the build quality like?
What Engine, Gearbox, Diff Brakes? - has any thought gone into the design and prep of the chassis or is it a cheaply hammerited mesh of poorly welded assortment of steel tubes?
No offence, but £3k - £4k wont buy a used kitcar of any quality that you'd want to keep..... especially if your mechanically inexperienced.

Build quality was crap your right, smokey pig iron engine, crap brakes, poor welds, creaky rubber band suspension, not that cheque book seven drivers could notice it as it chuffed its way past them on track.....

Wadders

posted on 20/2/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Not had any trolls on here for a while.....
DelboyMatt

posted on 21/2/06 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wadders
Just done a quick scan of findit, most a bit above your price range, but at this time of year you never know what someone might take.

http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/cars/305353.php
http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/cars/477419.php
http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/cars/437427.php
http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/cars/378090.php
http://findit.co.uk/cars/kitcar/projects/298826.php

[Edited on 20/2/06 by Wadders]

Cheers wadders, findit.co.uk seems like a very useful source! I will ring round a few companies to try and gain an idea of insurance costs and then start the search for the perfect car (im not the kind who buys the first car I see, my car before the alfa took me a year to find, the alfa took 13 months, so god knows how long this one will take, lol) I will ensure that I have it checked over by someone who knows about the welds e.t.c as well as my knowledge of accident repaired cars/engines and anything thats "not quite right"

[Edited on 21/2/06 by DelboyMatt]

zxrlocost

posted on 21/2/06 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Caterhams still look very old fashioned most with massive headlights. which looks stupid

robin hoods dont look the best but are cheap

MK MAC1 and MNR are the way forward

but seriously the budget will need increasing for one

my MK R1 has cost me over 8k so far

theres lots of little things that add up that you dont think of pre build

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.