Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy
Mark18

posted on 27/3/03 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
MK Indy

Hi, I'm Mark from Ireland and I'm hoping to start building some form of kit during the summer.

Anyway I was looking at some photos of a MK Indy, and I was just wondering whether it uses a standard book chassis, because from what I can see it tapers out towards the cockpit. If it does would that rule out using other manufacturers bodywork etc.?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ChrisW

posted on 27/3/03 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I know most of it is very similar but not quite the same. Big difference being that it has IRS (independant rear suspension) based on the Sierra diff, hubs and shafts. Not sure if MK produce a book chassis - Luego certainly do.

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 27/3/03 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Are you planning on building a book chassis and putting MK panels on it or buying an MK chassis and putting other people body work on? If its the latter i wouldn't bother, as you cannot beat the quality of the the MK fibreglass.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

Mark18

posted on 27/3/03 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I plan on going down the build from kit route ie. Mk, Luego, etc. the main reason for this is because I want IRS.

If i were to get a MK i will be getting the whole package, really I was just wondering why the MK Indy looked different.

Findlay234

posted on 27/3/03 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
The car is wider than the book locost because it uses un-shortened halfshafts from the sierra donor. Hence it has the same track as a sierra. the wide low look appeals to some.

also the top chassis rail is about and inch higher than the book chassis. this was designed to allow room for the pinto engine which is now become the engine of choice for the only fact its easy to find a cheap donor with one.

im sure thats about it really.

cheers
Fin

oh BTW i went for the luego IRS(velocity) chassis. you get the IRS with the original track width of the book car. You must specify locost fibreglass bits though because the velocity fibreglass looks too high (again to suit the pinto) look at their website for more info and pics.

Mark18

posted on 27/3/03 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

oh BTW i went for the luego IRS(velocity) chassis. you get the IRS with the original track width of the book car. You must specify locost fibreglass bits though because the velocity fibreglass looks too high (again to suit the pinto) look at their website for more info and pics.

So far I have been tending towards the Luego Velocity, with a crossflow engine. I hadn't thought to use the locost panels with it though, sounds like a good idea assuming the crossflow will fit.

GO

posted on 27/3/03 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I'm picking up my velocity Chassis from Luego on saturday, along with locost fibre glass.

X-flow will definately fit the velocity chassis, with either the locost or velocity fibreglass. In fact, when I went up there they had a velocity with a X-flow fitted.

Basically the velocity chassis is the locost chassis with IRS and a few other mods which make it a bit stronger and easier to fit a variety of engines other than just the X-flow.

You'll have the same problem with the air filter as always, i.e. you'll need to cut a hole in the top of the bonnet unless you get sidedrafts.

GO

posted on 27/3/03 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, apologies. Think this MK thread turned rather Luego...
mdc124

posted on 27/3/03 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
what's the damage on the velocity and locost bodywork?

The MK package looks good value to me - but there again my car started from one

Http://www.farend.co.uk/

The first MK Turnkey Indy

Champion Builder

posted on 28/3/03 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
"Not sure if MK produce a book chassis - Luego certainly do. "

- MK produce both locost (live axle) (to the book) and Indy(IRS) Chassis. So do luego. ST i dont kno cos their webshite is rubbish at the mo.

Luego Body Work:

Locost Bodywork (Various Gel Coat Colours)

Nose x 1
Dash x 1

Cycle wings x 2

Bonnet x 1
Rear Panel x 1
Inner body finishers x 2

Alloy Full Length side & internal panel set, cut to size

Total £431 + VAT

Velocity (IRS) (pinto) Bodywork (Various Gel Coat Colours)

Nose x 1

Scuttle x 1

Rear Wings x 2
Cycle wings x 2

Bonnet x 1
Rear Panel x 1

Dash x 1
Inner body finishers x 2
Alloy Full Length side & internal panel set, cut to size, folded with holes for W/bones

Total: £764.50 + VAT

So as you can see there is a significant difference between velocity body and locost bodywork, but the packages are unique.

[Edited on 28/3/03 by Champion Builder]

If it isn't low-cost it isn't locost!

Mark18

posted on 28/3/03 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

X-flow will definately fit the velocity chassis, with either the locost or velocity fibreglass. In fact, when I went up there they had a velocity with a X-flow fitted.

I'm tending towards a crossflow at the minute, if I could get my hands on a reasonably priced zetec I'd probably go for that (assuming that it'll fit).

How hard are these engines to mate to the Sierra gearbox, what do most people do for clutchs and flywheels?

Findlay234

posted on 28/3/03 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Champion Builder
So as you can see there is a significant difference between velocity body and locost bodywork, but the packages are unique.

[Edited on 28/3/03 by Champion Builder]

You get the same type of things in the package but the body work for the locost is smaller. The fiberglass work for the velocity is around an inch taller to accomodate the pinto engine. Not really worth the extra cash though.

Cheers
Fin

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.