Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: PIC (Electronic) dashboard website
ChrisW

posted on 9/5/02 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
PIC (Electronic) dashboard website

Hi

Was surfing a Locost website a few weeks back where the guy was building his own electronic dash (PIC based). Now I can't find the site again - anyone know it?

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 9/5/02 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
Me?

If it was me, don't get excited... it's all experimental, next to nothing down on paper, and I might end up with ordinary dials if I get bored!

ChrisW

posted on 9/5/02 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
That's the one - cheers David!

How far have you got with it? Was thinking about something similar so it'd be interesting to see what you've done already.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
David Jenkins

posted on 9/5/02 at 03:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the speedo built on a board, and I'm just about to make the gearbox sender. I've also written the software for a tacho and have the design in my head - just need to build it on my breadboard and try it out. When (if!) it works OK I'll add it to the board alongside the speedo display.

My current thinking is to make the dash in the style of my Toyota Yaris - the display is down a tunnel in the centre of the dash, angled towards the driver. Almost all the displays (warning lights, etc) will be in or around the tunnel. Should look very clean, with the advantage that my wife can't see how fast I'm driving!

Trouble is, too much to do, too little time... same old story!

David

Simon Mc

posted on 9/5/02 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'm a newbie here but im an electronics engineer by trade (Apparently!). I have just been given the task of learning to program PIC's, so i would be interested to see how far you have got!
David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/02 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
I've been using a compiler called JAL (Just Another Language!) written by a Dutch bloke. It's very simple to use, but has some limitations. Biggest advantages are: 1. it's free, 2. it works, within the limitations, 3. it's quite simple.
It can be found at

http://www.voti.nl/jal/

It's a very small download.

There are some C and Basic compilers around, but they're incredibly expensive.
The reason I use a compiler is that I refuse to re-learn assembler - I did that once, and have no desire to do it again.
As for seeing how far I've got... well, I'll just have to update the web site!

cheers,

David

David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/02 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
P.S. for Steve G.

I haven't forgotten the other compiler...

(cryptic, ain't I!)

David

stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/5/02 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
P.S. for Steve G.

I haven't forgotten the other compiler...

(cryptic, ain't I!)

David

Yeah!

I was torn between sobbing and coming after you with my tank!

I am actually, or should be right now, at work designing a little control board using a 16C77 with 'the other compiler'.

To Simon MC....

Do yourself a huge favour, and save months in your life and get a C compiler. If you dont, you will have to grapple with all the PIC quirks, like memory RAM handling, when a compiler will do all that for you.

A couple hundred quid will save you literally weeks of development time.

atb

Steve

Gordon Flint

posted on 10/5/02 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
I use the professional versions (more features than the standard and worth the few pounds extra) of the FED C compiler and the WIZ-C application generator, they are superb for PIC development. Well worth a look and offer a much quicker development cycle than a straight assembler or compiler.

The prices are very very reasonable, unlike some of the competition.

http://www.fored.co.uk/Eindex.htm

PS. the company also have a brilliant In Circuit Debugger that integrates with the development tools.

I case anyone is wondering I have no connection with the company, I'm just a happy customer.

Dunc

posted on 10/5/02 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hey guys, if you do make one, cost it and offer a kit to the rest of us. Years since I did any PIC stuff and would save a lot of time. A basic module would so, we could then create our own style of instruments. An easy to reach DIL switch would help tune the speedo for the SVA.
ChrisW

posted on 10/5/02 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
You lot are wusses! Assembler all the way!

Sure I can sort you one out when it's done Dunc.

Planning on using one of those intelligent LCD displays (like the one on your site Dave) plus a large LED speed and an LED ring for rpm. Ideas only at the moment though. Built a bike speedo years ago for my GCSE electronics project all out of 4000 series logic. Worked really well except it was the size of a VHS tape and the battery lasted about half an hour! Will have to dig it out and figure out how I did it.

BTW how are you planning on picking up the rotations of the wheels to get the speed?

Chris (waiting for a torrent of abuse about using compilers!)

My gaff my rules

stephen_gusterson

posted on 10/5/02 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
Beware yout choice of LCD.

the nice little graphics panels tend to have a low contrast when out in the daylight.

atb

Steve

Dunc

posted on 10/5/02 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Assembler? In my day it was banks of switches and lights and valves and stuff. You young uns don't know how good it is these days with your user interfaces.

Seriously, thought a hall effect probe on the prop shaft would do the trip for the speedo or using the hub off a ABS sierra. Unless like my 200SX the ABS sensor is on the diff.

As for the displays, the guys at my work pioneered the HUD's. I was thinking of speaking to them on the latest tricks and if I'd be able to use it on my car, they're right into this holographic imaging. Apparently the euro fighter helmet actually projects images directly onto the retina, don't know how that'd pass the SVA speedo test though.

Used a PIC on my final year project, active exhaust noise cancellation. Straight through exhaust on my corolla 1.6 SR coupe and an anti noise generator at the tailpipe. Worked quite well but as soon as you revved the engine it roared until the PIC caught up. Needed more development work to sort but being a student I was a lazy shite, nothing changed there. I think Lotus copied the idea to get V8 sounds from there 4 pot, I'm now returning the favour by building my 7.

David Jenkins

posted on 10/5/02 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Planning on using one of those intelligent LCD displays (like the one on your site Dave) plus a large LED speed and an LED ring for rpm.

BTW how are you planning on picking up the rotations of the wheels to get the speed?

I'm using 7-seg LEDs for the speedo, and ordinary LEDs for the tacho. I couldn't get big-enough digits for the speedo from the LCD display (not without spending a shed-load of money and time, anyway).

I will use the LCD for 'other stuff' such as oil pressure and temperature, when I work out how to do it. I'll probably follow the Toyota model again - only display something if I need to know about it. e.g. if the oil pressure drops a light comes on in the main display - then I look down at the LCD to see what's going on.

As for the speedo sender, I'm making something to go in place of the speedo cable on the side of the gearbox. I've worked out that with my setup I'll get 1029 turns per mile and various bits of 'orrible sums gives me the number of pulses I need to count to get the right number on the display. It will be a rotor with 7 vanes triggering a Hall-effect sensor (possibly...).

As I said before, it's all pie-in-the-sky at the moment.

...and it will only happen when I get time!

David

Gordon Flint

posted on 10/5/02 at 02:52 PM Reply With Quote
The backlight supertwist LCD graphics panels are fine even in quite bright daylight, but best if recessed into the surrounding panel. The extra current drawn by these devices is not an issue when used in a car.

Chris like you I like the control assembler provides, but years of software development have taught me that higher level development tools help me deliver on time. Besides you can always mix a few assembler routines in with C or whatever, by way of therapy.

Simon Mc

posted on 11/5/02 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Just got work to buy me a couple of c compilers... And a few books on it so i can remember how to program :D
ChrisW

posted on 15/5/02 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Chris like you I like the control assembler provides, but years of software development have taught me that higher level development tools help me deliver on time. Besides you can always mix a few assembler routines in with C or whatever, by way of therapy

For PC's I generally use something more high level but for some reason I prefer assembler on the PIC. Don't ask me why!

What's the deal with these Supertwist LCD panels then? Are they expensive? Who sells them? That is unless Dunc can get his hands on one of these super-duper HUD displays from a colleage!

Chris

My gaff my rules

Dunc

posted on 15/5/02 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
I can get my hands on all sorts of hardware shit, any one of them would make Stephen G in his tank rattle with fear, including that big C130 hercules gunship that blasted the poo out of everything a few months . You have been warned.
David Jenkins

posted on 15/5/02 at 11:40 AM Reply With Quote
Getting back to the subject (quickly!), I was inspired to get the tacho done over the weekend, as I was feeling crappy (literally!) and didn't feel like working on the car.

The circuit's built, but I'm having problems programming the 16F876 - more details soon. If/when it works I'll update my website with a photo or two.

cheers,

David

Gordon Flint

posted on 16/5/02 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Chris you can get the displays from many sources including RS and Farnell (take a look at their websites). They are not particularly expensive, the price depends on the resolution you select. The price range is around £50 to £100 for backlit modules, so not bad if you intend it to replace quality analogue instruments.
ChrisW

posted on 16/5/02 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I can get my hands on all sorts of hardware shit

What can you get hold of Dunc? Anything suitable for this project? (one each!)

Chris

My gaff my rules

Dunc

posted on 16/5/02 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Here we use a ruggedised version of the NEC flat panel display, might be too large to fit in the scuttle and the HUD would fail the SVA for internal protrusions. ASICs are used in place of pics but they're hard to get a hold of because of there cost. One I was looking at the other week cost the same as 40 ron champion locosts and that was just for 1 chip. Cheap Laptop with an I/O could be the way for an active display otherwise you'd be best sticking to maplin LED's.
ChrisW

posted on 16/5/02 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Arse.. guess I'll have to get my wallet out afterall

Chris

My gaff my rules

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.