Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Robin Hood Engineering sub k kit?
TrickyDicky

posted on 19/5/03 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Robin Hood Engineering sub k kit?

Robin Hood Engineering sub k kit?

hi all,

can anyone give me a view etc on the above kit, looks good value for the price-has anyone built one or know someone who has?

i plan to build a kit with a 1.8 zetec, would this be suitable in a kit?

thanks for your help in advance.

Tricky

chrisg

posted on 19/5/03 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Tricky Mate,

Don't do it, the're rubbish, quality wise and looks

Ask someone who's built one, maybe the new gold couloured kit at £7995(!) is better but I doubt it

Cheers

Chris

Just my opinion of course

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

TrickyDicky

posted on 19/5/03 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Chris.

can you recomend another cheap kit that comprises of chassis and bodywork, other stuff ie engine, box, suspension, brakes, wiring, lights etc etc is no problem-i run a ford spares shop in Walsall.

Tricky

theconrodkid

posted on 19/5/03 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
get an MK or luego,i know what im building

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

TrickyDicky

posted on 19/5/03 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
ta mate-have they websites?

Tricky

paulbeyer

posted on 19/5/03 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Tricky,

The link for Luego is at the top and bottom of every page MK Engineering are to be found at http://www.mkengineering.co.uk

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

MarkD

posted on 19/5/03 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TrickyDicky
-i run a ford spares shop in Walsall.

Tricky

What spares shop in Walsall? (I used to work at Supercar in Ablewell Street in 1985... )

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
geoff shep

posted on 20/5/03 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
There are a few past comments on this including my own experiences in this thread: http://forum.locostbuilders.co.uk/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=2627

If you want to peruse some stuff on Hoods, take a look at their builders' site at: http://community.rhocar.org.uk/ - try to read between the lines cos if you ask, they'll say 'the waters lovely, come on in'

Mark Allanson

posted on 20/5/03 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I had a real good look at them before I decided on locost (best decision), they are the cheapest possible components joined together using the cheapest possible methods giving the cheapest possible kit.

Fine if thats what you want, but a better, more expensive kit will end up cheaper financially and healthier mentally!! Like the MK, I think it is £3 more expensive than the SubK but light years ahead in quality and design. I made my own chassis, but in hind sight, might have saved all the design work and bought an MK. I havent had a good look at a Luego so I cannot comment, but they seem to be well liked.

If you have any further problems, call the Samaritains!!( or MK or Luego)

[Edited on 20/5/03 by Mark Allanson]

TrickyDicky

posted on 20/5/03 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

What spares shop in Walsall? (I used to work at Supercar in Ablewell Street in 1985... )

Ford Motor Spares(now A&R Motor Spares Ltd, Lime Lane, Pelsall, WALSALL).

my mate started the business in 1989/1990

Tricky

MarkD

posted on 21/5/03 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Small World

Tricky,

My folks live on Wolverhampton Road, near the Pelsall Finger Post. I guess your shop is near Yates?

Have they caught the Royal Oak killer yet?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 21/5/03 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
BTW

Mr Beyer.

Your potato looks like its dampers are shot

atb

steve

TrickyDicky

posted on 21/5/03 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD
Tricky,

My folks live on Wolverhampton Road, near the Pelsall Finger Post. I guess your shop is near Yates?

TrickyDicky

posted on 21/5/03 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkD
Tricky,

hi mate

yes the shop is on yates dock yard,

i dont believe theyve got the killer yet-the other afternoon(monday) the nottinghamshire force underwater search team were in the canal.

Tricky

paulbeyer

posted on 21/5/03 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
BTW

Mr Beyer.

Your potato looks like its dampers are shot

atb

steve

Nah,

I locked up all four wheels under braking and flat spotted the tyres.

7 out of 10 people suffer with hemorrhoids. Does that mean the other 3 enjoy them?

woodie

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
RHSC Sub K advice

Hi, Regarding the comment by ChrisG in response to a question by TrickyDicky who asked about the Robin Hood Sub K, Quote 'Don't do it, the're rubbish, quality wise and looks'. Admitedly ChrisG does qualify this statement by saying 'Just my o
pinion of course'.

All I would suggest to TrickDicky is to follow the other advice given by ChrisG and 'ask someone who has built one'.

Type in 'RHOCAR' on Google and follow the link.

The comment that the Sub K is rubbish in quality and looks seems in my humble opinion to be somewhat blinkered.

The reason it is called a Sub K is because RHSC (Nee RHE) wanted to produce a car for the home builder for less than £1K (hence Sub K)

So it would be reasonable to expect the component issue to be fairly basic. ie. Mild Steel Chassis and panels, not Stainless, although many Sub K builders upgraded to Stainless Panels.

However, as for 'Quality', the end product is only as good as the builder, so this could lead one to assume ChrisG built a Sub K but wasn't entirely happy with his work?

Or perhaps has not built one and therefore may not really qualified to make such comments?

At the end of the day any builder and/or owner of any Lotus 7 Inspired Sportscar (LSISC) of course will have their own favourite, but surely shouldn't really diss other Manufaturers or models?

For the benefit of TrickDicky attached is a pic of my own Sub K built to a very high standard which flew through the SVA first time.
Regards
Col (Taunton) Rescued attachment Sub K.jpg
Rescued attachment Sub K.jpg

ned

posted on 27/6/06 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
FYI the last response before your post on this thread is over 3 years old and not all of the above members still post on here.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

woodie

posted on 27/6/06 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ned, but I knew that anyway. Maybe the website admin should clear out the old posts? But then the argument would be some posts however old are still relevant and people still read any updates.
All the best
Col.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, just dont shove it in my face.

James

posted on 27/6/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodie
But then the argument would be some posts however old are still relevant and people still read any updates.
All the best
Col.

Damn straight!

I'm always refering back to old posts stored in my favourites.

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

MikeRJ

posted on 27/6/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
As said the quality of any car is heavily dependant on the builder. However, I was looking at either a SubK or a 2B a few years ago, and to me the design of the chassis was really quite poor, with very little triangulation, and the use of the unmodified sierra rear beam which gives silly amounts of camber without modification.

A fairly recent post on here gave the results of a torsional test on a 2B which showed that it had all the rigidity of a wet paper bag.

The "sliding pillock" front suspension is a horrible design which should have been scrapped before it left the back of the fag packet.

I actualy bought an old RH which used a Cortina front subframe and rear axle. I have never in my life seen a more hideous interpretation of a Se7en, and I did it a favour by using it as a donor for my Locost.

That said, the new tubular chassis shown at this years shows looks an order of magnitude better in terms of design and build quality, and the lightweight chassis is certainly an interesting design, the finished car is probably the best looking RH to date.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.