Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Plastic Fuel tank
skidude88

posted on 15/10/07 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Plastic Fuel tank

How has anyone fitted a proper filler to a plastic fuel tank?

I know there was an issue with the leaky plastic fuel tanks...

I'm assuming that problem was to do with seals, rather than the problem I have where fuel is spewing out the top on Right hand turns & Round-a-bouts after a fill up.

I gather there needs to be a valve somewhere in the setup too, to stop negative pressure in the tank (Found that the hard way - after pushing a mates Striker up the A46, we discovered the fuel cap didn't wanna undo due to a iffy valve)

Tank fill hole is 40mm (dunno of this is standard?)

[Edited on 15/10/07 by skidude88]

Early MK de-Dion CBR1000 FJ-FP.

Jon Ison

posted on 15/10/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
I don't have any pics but i had a plastic filler cap that had a knob inside it, when you turned the knob it expanded and pulled itself into the tank to make a seal, much better than the one you have in your pic.

It was bought from service station but guess halfrauds etc may do them, sorry my description is crap.

Edit to add, yup you will need a breather, preferably with a one way valve fitted.

[Edited on 15/10/07 by Jon Ison]

Jon Ison

posted on 15/10/07 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Description
Description

Macbeast

posted on 15/10/07 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
IMHO, I say again, IMHO, that is lethal!

What would happen if you turned upside down ? The plastic cap aint going to hold and you're going to get 5 gals next to your ear.

Those plastic caps are a fail at MOT.

skidude88

posted on 15/10/07 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
It doesn't seem to have been an MOT issue - The cars past 6 MOTs, 2 since I've had her.

I'm in no way defending the cap - Plastic tanks aren't that unusual, and I was hoping someone could shed light on a safer solution using one.

Jon Ison

posted on 16/10/07 at 07:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
IMHO, I say again, IMHO, that is lethal!

What would happen if you turned upside down ? The plastic cap aint going to hold and you're going to get 5 gals next to your ear.

Those plastic caps are a fail at MOT.

Unless things have changed then that cap in the pic was/is MOT friendly, it tightens that tight you could lift the car with it, it as also been tested for inadvertent inversion and passed. Rescued attachment smash.JPG
Rescued attachment smash.JPG

DarrenW

posted on 16/10/07 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Green cap with vanes inside is a temp cap and should fail MOT iirc. Jon's example looks fine to me as it has a mechanical means of sealing tightly.

Its not so much the losing fuel in a crash that scares me, but more that you are dropping fuel onto corners and roundabouts on a frequent basis!! Please get it sorted for all our sakes. I bet bikers love you at this time of year.

Ive got plastic tank. It has a bit of 2" or so plastic pipe joined to the top. I then connect this to an external fuel filler neck / cap via some petrol hose. Might be worth searching the catalogues to see if you can get a suitable inlet pipoe that will fit - possibly a mocal ali one with a screw down flange that you may be able to fit with rubber gasket.

The orangey red vanes look like theyve been wearing away a bit - are they dropping bits of debris into the tank?

[Edited on 16/10/07 by DarrenW]

skidude88

posted on 16/10/07 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - Sorted for the time being.

Unless you have 3 door Metro MK1, Ka or Fiesta 97>

with rear jaws
with rear jaws

Macbeast

posted on 16/10/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Not yours Jon, I was on about the plastic temporary cap with the red vanes which is ok as a get you home.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.