Board logo

bench seat construction
Duncan Mould - 1/2/10 at 06:59 PM

I am currently in the process of making new seats for my Robin Hood 2b, It had from new a pair of fibreglass seats that I had trimmed and looked really nice. But with putting a bit of weight on have opted to change it to a bench seat and 2 squab bases (not on runners), this is also a plot to get me sitting even lower, as i am quite tall. My question is ... on the back of the seats do the squabs go under the backrest or butt up to the backrest part of the seat?
I am quite handy on the old machine and have a good idea of the style of seat I want, but would appreciate some inspiration, eg... dax, caterham, locost pics if possible, and help and guidance from anyone who has made there own seats.
Many thanks , I am sure some one on her can help me.

[Edited on 1/2/10 by Duncan Mould]

Steve Hignett - 1/2/10 at 07:37 PM

How about making a Foam Seat and then using your seamstress experience to make a really nice cover for it?

http://racingbolts.com/racing-bolts-part-expanding-seat-foam-p-47.html

matt_gsxr - 1/2/10 at 09:31 PM

What about this style?

more phones at

linky and in the next 4 pictures. I copied this when I made my bench out of packing material (not worth posting a picture sadly).

Matt

Rod Ends - 1/2/10 at 09:40 PM

seven bench seat instructions

Duncan Mould - 1/2/10 at 10:21 PM

Some great pics and helpful hints there. Thanks for that folks.

aitch - 2/2/10 at 08:54 AM

i like the look of bench seats in a 7 style car nice and retro / old school like the design

id put squabs under the back although dont suppose it really matters

aitch