Board logo

Chatroom
Metal Hippy™ - 30/1/02 at 11:45 PM

Everybody give thumbs up to the idea of a chat section in here.

Chris put forward the idea the other day, so I figured I'd try and gain support.

All those in favour say AYE

macdave69 - 31/1/02 at 10:14 AM

aye

chrisg - 31/1/02 at 08:49 PM

aye, aye
( I talk a lot !)

bob - 31/1/02 at 09:19 PM

Aye.
Like paltalk.com i presume.

bigdaddyadd - 1/2/02 at 04:32 PM

so long as you dont all get slushy and romantic

chrisg - 1/2/02 at 06:34 PM

But Bigdaddy I lurve u !!!!!!

Metal Hippy™ - 1/2/02 at 06:47 PM

So who's gonna have my babies now?

Metal Hippy™ - 1/2/02 at 06:48 PM

Anyway, hopefully this weekend apparently.

Then we can all take the wee in real time.

WAHEY!

Metal Hippy™ - 1/2/02 at 06:49 PM

Isn't that ^^ counted as a swear word?

James - 1/2/02 at 06:52 PM

Oi Chris,

I've already paid you in advance, you'd better not welch on our deal!

;-)

Metal Hippy™ - 1/2/02 at 06:55 PM

Ok, now I'm scared.

I think I'm getting out of my depth....

chrisg - 1/2/02 at 10:26 PM

Actually I didn't realise that you were all sick pervy types when I posted:-)))

bigdaddyadd - 1/2/02 at 10:40 PM

hmmmm????

bigdaddyadd - 2/2/02 at 02:06 PM

wot does anyone think of using yahoo messenger it alerts when your friends are online enables conferance rooms sms audio view cam etc and will quite happily sit in the background when not in use. It is a free download but I have found it very usefull in the past especially when trying to ring friends only for their line to be engaged for internet connections if you register you will find me under the same id.

ChrisW - 2/2/02 at 02:20 PM

I use MSN myself - chris@speedcentral.co.uk.

Chat room is being investigated - hopefully I'll get it sorted this weekend but no promises.

Chris

Dazza - 7/2/02 at 09:21 PM

I use paltalk.com, have a group called English Nutters, but you have to all be on line at the same time to use it of course.......

bigdaddyadd - 8/2/02 at 10:01 PM

Bravenet.com will host a free chat room just add the copy and paste the html use your scrap it email address as they do send some junk after registration but it costs nothing and doesn't waste precious hosting space. You will still need to use u2u to let some one know you are in the chat room unless people get used to looking in to see wots happening as a matter of course.

macdave69 - 9/2/02 at 09:50 PM

apparently wee is not a sewar word but poo is....oh well,

i used messenger for the first time with bob and metal hippy tee emm,
I found it immense fun, perhaps that is the way forward?

ChrisW - 10/2/02 at 01:35 AM

I will get a chatroom sorted guys but it won't be any of those 'free' ones because...

1. You get spammed - badly
2. You get loads of advertising banners

Will get it sorted soon I promise!! In the mean time, I'm on MSN messenger as chris@speedcentral.co.uk

Chris

sixteenkw - 12/3/02 at 09:34 PM

the idea when you brought the 'BOOK' was to make your own car, not buy all or some of the parts. half of you will end up with a r/hood, mk look alike.

sixteenkw - 12/3/02 at 09:36 PM

the idea when you brought the 'BOOK' was to make your own car, not buy all or some of the parts. half of you will end up with a r/hood, mk look alike.

Jon Ison - 12/3/02 at 09:40 PM

noncomprende?????????whereyacuminfrom?????bookwotbook?????????

bob - 12/3/02 at 11:06 PM

I did hear there was a book by some ron chumpion,wish i'd thought of that what an easy way to get minted up

bigdaddyadd - 13/3/02 at 12:19 AM

If I end up with a car that looks like the mk demonstrator in which kit? this month I will not be crying into my beer.

David Jenkins - 13/3/02 at 08:25 AM

quote:
If I end up with a car that looks like the mk demonstrator in which kit? this month I will not be crying into my beer.

I've seen (and heard) that beast. Some people make rude remarks about the noise of a bike engine - but when that thing took off down a Peterboro' back street... eek!

I want one! (I can't afford one... )

David

Dunc - 13/3/02 at 09:32 AM

Hey David, build one for £250 with bog standard bit's, clean it all up and make it look pretty then sell it for £2500 and build a bike engined one with the best of parts.

David Jenkins - 13/3/02 at 09:39 AM

Unfortunately, my build cost is going to be nearer £2000 than £250 (no surprise there, then).

The bike engine may be a transplant at a later date...
... he says, hopefully.

David

Jon Ison - 13/3/02 at 07:04 PM

i got one, te he........

Dazza - 14/3/02 at 12:27 AM

I will (if ever) stick to a car engine locost and save the bike engine for 2 wheels, My ZX6R is fast enough for me, 165mph so far and a bit left!!!!!!

David Jenkins - 14/3/02 at 10:42 AM

The bike engine is only a pipe dream - as someone said on another topic, my 1660 X-flow will be exciting enough for a while, and I only want a manageable fun car (i.e. "toy") that I can enjoy on a sunny weekend.

sixteenkw - 14/3/02 at 07:45 PM

is anybody building a locost out there or are they buying all the bits and pieces like a meccano set?

stephen_gusterson - 14/3/02 at 08:14 PM

sixteenkw - I cant understand your plot?

You actually gonna make your own wheels and tyres and hubs and stuff and chuck together your own v12 1.6 litre cossiekentcolgneninjamotor special from , like, the rock - melting ya own steel?

Having frigged around in the garage nearly 2 years to get a roller chasis seems long enougth to me.

Then im not that mean to make my chassis from old bits from a rust scrap bin, bits of an old transit van sides, or allagro parts.

Ron snapped up just about the last pair of 60 quid shockers out there. Once you publish a book that 1000s of people buy, there are very few bargains, and nice box vans waiting to have their sides removed out there.

What painful path are you taking to acheive the minimalist ethic, my son.....

hommmmmmm hommmmmmm

sixteenkw - 14/3/02 at 08:24 PM

OF CAUSE WE HAVE TO GET WHEELS, HUBS BRAKES. BUT THE IDEA WAS TO MAKE CHASSIS, WINGS, NOSE CONE, SEATS WISH BONES NOT GO OUT AND BUY THEM

chrisg - 14/3/02 at 09:14 PM

I made all mine, including the chassis,ali nosecone and GRP bits

Only thingI didn't make (apart from the bits Ford gave me)was the roll bar (from MK)

Don't shout, I'm feeling a little delicate

Cheers

Chris

sixteenkw - 14/3/02 at 09:25 PM

nice to here from some body who has made most of the car have you got it on the road yet? what eng/box did you use any pics?

chrisg - 14/3/02 at 09:37 PM

It's been on the road but is currently "resting" awaiting a new screen and fuse box.

It's +100 mm 2.0 pinto/4spd

Check my website:-

http://www.gibbs111.fsnet.co.uk

Cheers

Chris

Dazza - 14/3/02 at 10:11 PM

I dont think it matters weather you make it all yourself, make some buy the rest or buy it all, as long as you enjoy it and have a car you like at the end(that goes) then it is all worth it. Some people are not capable or dont have the time to fabricate everything or make some of the stuff, its just not practicle. So stop all the bitching and support every builder and dont knock the buyers out there. We are not all into making everything. If only people who made there own stuff made these cars, this web site, thousands of others and millions of great kit cars would not be on the road.......

And i dont even have a kit car at the moment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

stephen_gusterson - 14/3/02 at 10:30 PM

Thing is sixteenkw, is not to be on a list for just a couple days and five posts, and then to start and say people are not building their own cars properly.

Anyone thats spent hours in a garage making a lot of the car up (and I havnt bought anything ready made 'cept a couple bits my dad did like the tank) might get a bit peeved after all that, being told they are not doing it the right way.

Chris, for instance, even spent nearly six months making up a nose cone out of alu - now that would do my head in.

A lot of guys on here also have real life drivable cars.

I belong also to a robin hood 2b list and those guys get real touchy if you accuse them of building from mechanno. Aparrently most stuff from rh needs to be hacked to fit anyway.

At the end of the day, a car built yourself, from whatever point you call 'building it yourself' - still means you have a great car from your own hands.

And you have got how far......?

Dazza - 14/3/02 at 10:34 PM

I agree, its still a car you built yourself, no matter how you do it.

i would build one if i had a garage, but i have to make do with buying ready built ones and working, changing, repairing them...

ho hum, garage one day then build my own!!

I will be assisting with Bobs a little thou, if he needs it!!!!!

bob - 14/3/02 at 11:02 PM

YAWN

This section reminds me of the other list(the dark side),as long as the cars get built does it really matter.
I'm buying most bits and fabricating some small parts,I'll be on the road for well under 3 grand so i'll be happy.
i've not met anyone yet who's welded and made all the bits for less than £1500,there are no rules which is the beauty of it.

bigdaddyadd - 14/3/02 at 11:19 PM

I'm gonna have to get a new hand bag if we are goimg to start swinging them over or heads strap broke on my old on. I think eveyone has their own reasons for deciding to build a Locost some may just like the rawness of this elusive beast personally I just want a quick car as cheap as I can bloddy well manage which so far has seen me make the majority of the thing myself but if I'm offered bits to speed progress at the right money I will not be displaying twat logic and will buy em. If I didn't have such a measily budget I would probably build a nice cobra or westfield I just wannago fast and I come here for help and to offer help where I can. Fair enough I think and if you dont bollox to ya

ChrisW - 14/3/02 at 11:25 PM

Well said - handbags away eh lads!

Chris

Dazza - 15/3/02 at 12:58 PM

agreed, eh sixteen!!!!!!!!

sixteenkw - 15/3/02 at 07:36 PM

stephen, i didnt say people were not building their cars prop. what i ment was, the idea was to make a car not go out and buy all the parts ness to build one. you didnt go to BEAULIEU last year, coil overs £30 pair, rose joints £1 each. bob, mine cost £900 to make

sixteenkw - 15/3/02 at 07:49 PM

bob, ive got as far as 1st, 85[2end picture], 189, and last page [last picture] in rons book. it took me 3 months to make it.had to rush because we thought the sva was coming out early. as its "L" reg no i get free road tax. keith ward

stephen_gusterson - 15/3/02 at 09:06 PM

quote:
stephen, i didnt say people were not building their cars prop. what i ment was, the idea was to make a car not go out and buy all the parts ness to build one. you didnt go to BEAULIEU last year, coil overs £30 pair, rose joints £1 each. bob, mine cost £900 to make

That didnt compare too well to the prices I paid!

Actually i have never been to a show in the two years almost i have been building.

Might go to the next one.

perhaps

maybe

possibly

if its a nice day

bob - 15/3/02 at 11:21 PM

Sixteen
The yellow one,seen it at a show.£900 cool looks good i take my hat off too you.

sixteenkw - 16/3/02 at 12:06 AM

stephen, you must go to the shows to learn, copy other ideas mine was one of the first locosts if i did an other i would copy lots of ideas from the shows. are you a member of the locost club?

sixteenkw - 16/3/02 at 12:38 AM

to big daddy addy, you must spend more time on the net than working on you r/hood. but theres is more room in them for yiur hand bag.if you want to go fast get a train. we get a better deal off AIR PRODUCTS for gas. no need for a reg or a flow meter, all built in and cheaper

stephen_gusterson - 16/3/02 at 08:33 AM

quote:
stephen, you must go to the shows to learn, copy other ideas mine was one of the first locosts if i did an other i would copy lots of ideas from the shows. are you a member of the locost club?

Nope, im not a member of the locost car club. I had seen the 'book' around for a while, and it made me toy with the idea of building a car - initially the idea of a rear engined (as they are) delorian look alike was my aim. It then turned into using the locost as a basis for a design and modding it to look like a Morgan. Only real differences are cosmetic extra panels - like winds, running boards, angled back AND - gasp - doors.

I will go to a show at some point - the one in May possibly - and meet up with the other locosters.

However im gonna look like a bit of a black sheep, being so different

But then there's the guys with the 4wd versions and that V12 beast when its made is gonna me real different.

ATB

Steve

locodude - 16/3/02 at 03:15 PM

Hi All
Who has the right to say it has to be made as cheap as possible and make as many of the parts as you can yourself? I'm an engineer/fabricator by trade and could do so if I wanted but I don't choose to. We all make our own decisions so stop talking boll***s and get a life!!! If thats what suits you then fine but don't denegrate other people for going there own way!
Chris

bigdaddyadd - 16/3/02 at 05:23 PM

To IQ sixtennkw or wot ever I recon your just on the wind up and I probably shouldn't even bother to respond but hell if push comes to shove I kinda like the odd ruck with fuckwit no brainers the missus never lets me win so it gives me the prime opportunity to vent some anger. You may be right I may spend more time on here than building my car;and the problem is. I don't intend to rush my build and end up with some scabby piec of lego lokking shit at the end if it takes me ten years I won't give a toss it's a hobby not a job which has to be done to deadlines I am not in competition and am under no pressure wot so ever and you seem to be under the miss understanding I am building a Robin Hood you are clearly a retard and i shall make no further postings to you or about you on the subject just remember my dad's bigger then yours

bob - 16/3/02 at 06:57 PM

EXACTLY

could'nt have said it better myself

Dazza - 16/3/02 at 07:41 PM

yes!!!!! well said!!!!!

Subject CLOSED!!!!!!!

Jon Ison - 16/3/02 at 07:45 PM

second that, ere ere.

sixteenkw - 16/3/02 at 08:51 PM

to big daddy addy o siad a meccano not a lego

Metal Hippy™ - 17/3/02 at 01:53 AM

I'm sorry to be blunt guys, but sixteen or whatever your name is...

Shut the f*** up.

Christ, we all talk nutsack but you're dim with it.

macdave69 - 17/3/02 at 07:58 AM

I don't give a poo what anyone thinks of my build. It won't be the prettiest, it won't be the fastest, it won't be the cheapest BUT it will be safe to drive and loved.

So what if I bought most of the bits
SO FUCKING WHAT
Why spend hours making an amateur attempt at something on the car when I could be earning £15 an hour doing what I employed to do and pay a professional to make the bits.
I am building this car to DRIVE it not spout on about whether a 16 cylinder nitrous injected diesel will fit (and never get around to doing anything other than spouting on the net)
Who says we have to enjoy building the bleeping things anyway.
I used to prep rally cars and hated virtually every moment
Guess what though
the second the flag dropped that's when i enjoyed myself
ps
I also hate going to the dentist but I like eating food
ying yang

Dunc - 17/3/02 at 10:20 AM

My my, we are all a bit touchy aren't we. Now to add my irrelevant post. First of all I think the RH's are a masterpiece of manufacturing, they're so simple but effective. Very little weld required due to it's bend tube design and using almost all of it's parts from 1 donor.

I don't think anyone on this list can say they are following the book religously, not even Mr Champion has followed his own designs as you can see different photos of the chassis to the plans. The only people who should follow the book are the folk who are entering the race series. For the rest of us the book should only be an inspiration to go out and create our own designs, mix and match parts. Make or buy, it doesn't really matter.

To 16kw, in the 3 months it took to build the car, how much time did you actually spend making your parts and what did you buy. Seems to me all you did was copy the book with no thought to what you were doing, no inspiration or imagination. I find that quite sad and worrying. Obviously Ron's words of do your own thing never got through to you. Or can't you do things without instructions to help?

And yes my car is going to be a bit of a mechanno lego kit, and I'm going to be damn proud of it too. Home many of those do you see passing you everyday in this mass produced imagination lacking world?

chrisg - 17/3/02 at 10:44 AM

Did I mention that I made all mine?

LOL !!!!!

Cheers

Chris

Dunc - 17/3/02 at 10:52 AM

With the exception of raw materials and the donor car machanicals, wiring and lights, I making all mine too, hopefully for Stoneleigh, but there are many doubters in my family. Tried telling them, 80% is in the design, 20% in the build.

sixteenkw - 17/3/02 at 11:49 AM

to dunc, t spent all the time making the making the parts, i brought b/joints, w/bearings,discs, ect.i made all the body panels wings, nose cone ect. when i made mine you couldn't buy stock parts.

I extended RU2 to make mine 12 inches longer to get more boot space. Drop down windscreen with 2 aero screens [own made]
it took a long time to do the thirty or so louvres. I curved NT as to give a different look and make it easier to get in and out of the car.

When making the wishbones emit C & E and leave tube in one piece and cut off after welding, the tube left over will then fit top wishbone to weld up in one piece. I put a lot of thought into mine. Bonnet pull full dash and remote gear change etc.,

sixteenkw - 17/3/02 at 11:57 AM

Mine looks dfferent too most of them. You can see 3 of my cars on http://www.christopher.gibbons.btinternet.co.uk/newark09.jpg [first three in the picture}

Keith [car supplier to Ron Champion]

Metal Hippy™ - 17/3/02 at 03:16 PM

Guys, stop replying to this post now.

It just allows kw to be a dick.

In fact ChrisW can close it with a bit of luck.