Board logo

Looking for a good print of Muhammad Ali
craig1410 - 4/2/10 at 10:33 PM

Hi,

I'm looking to fill the space on the wall behind my computer desk with inspirational images and first on my list is the great man himself Muhammad Ali.

I'm looking for a a nice photo/print/canvas which captures the character of Ali. I'm not looking for the big punch action shot, I'm looking more for something more subtle such as a shot of the fear/doubt in his eyes at the end of round 1 of the Foreman fight - something characterful. If you can point me to a print with one of his many inspirational quotes then all the better.

Come on James, I'm counting on you on this one. I know you're a big Ali fan.

Thanks,
Craig.

Steve Hignett - 4/2/10 at 10:34 PM

Not Frank?

scootz - 4/2/10 at 10:37 PM

Always loved the Ali - Liston one (even though the fight was a fix!)...

craig1410 - 4/2/10 at 10:37 PM

I've got a big soft spot for big Frank and he had a lot of guts to get in he ring with Iron Mike in his prime but Ali is "The Greatest" so why settle for anything less?

craig1410 - 4/2/10 at 10:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Always loved the Ali - Liston one (even though the fight was a fix!)...

Hi Scootz, yes that one is very popular but I'm looking for something a bit more subtle as I mentioned. He is such a complex character I'm hoping to capture some of that.

daniel mason - 4/2/10 at 10:41 PM

^^^what scootz said. i have a huge black and white photo of that in my lounge.. it says 1st round 1st minute in top corner.
i also have a great canvas of one of the battle scenes from gladiator.its a 2 piece canvas with crowe holding a huge shield on one and the tiger attacking him on the other!
i also have a huge black and white pic of ali sparring/dancing round the ring on his own

[Edited on 4/2/10 by daniel mason]

scootz - 4/2/10 at 10:42 PM

Extremely complex... one of my sporting heroes, but not without significant faults!

How about a pensive one when he was still 'Cassius'?

Steve Hignett - 4/2/10 at 10:44 PM

My "Frank" post was very tongue-in-cheek, but (and I'm sure I'm going to be shot down for saying this!), I wouldn't necessarily feel that Classius Clay would be my most inspirational person for an inspirational poster.

ETA - just to state that I was typing as Scott was posting the above!

[Edited on 4/2/10 by Steve Hignett]

scootz - 4/2/10 at 10:45 PM

Winding up Smokin' Joe...

scootz - 4/2/10 at 10:51 PM

And Smokin Joe making him pay for his 'Uncle Tom' comments...

austin man - 4/2/10 at 10:51 PM

Ali
Ali

[Edited on 4/2/10 by austin man]

scootz - 4/2/10 at 10:56 PM

craig1410 - 4/2/10 at 10:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
My "Frank" post was very tongue-in-cheek, but (and I'm sure I'm going to be shot down for saying this!), I wouldn't necessarily feel that Classius Clay would be my most inspirational person for an inspirational poster.

ETA - just to state that I was typing as Scott was posting the above!

[Edited on 4/2/10 by Steve Hignett]

Yeah I know you were jesting and I hear what you are saying regarding Ali as an inspirational figure. I don't see him as a perfect inspirational figure, in fact it is the imperfection which makes him interesting.

My favourite Ali quote is:
"He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life." - I'm hoping to find an image to go along with that quote.

scootz - 4/2/10 at 11:01 PM

For that quote I'd definitely be looking for a good 'Rumble in the Jungle' photo... possibly one of him doing the 'rope-a-dope' - let's face it, there was no bigger risk in his (fighting) career than sitting on the ropes and allowing a monster like Big George to tee-off on him for 8 rounds!

[Edited on 4/2/10 by scootz]

scootz - 4/2/10 at 11:03 PM

Won't match the quote, but I love this image of when Our 'Enry beat Clay (yes, I know the record books show Clay won, but he did so because Angelo Dundee cheated!).

scootz - 4/2/10 at 11:09 PM

So many to choose from (they didn't call him the 'Louisville Lip' for nothing), but my favourite Ali quote is probably...

“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.”

James - 4/2/10 at 11:23 PM

Hi Craig,

I don't have any images really, but there was fantastic book about Ali in HMV (Woking but probably others) that I saw just before Christmas.

Loads of quality shots, info etc. etc.

Cheers,
James

craig1410 - 4/2/10 at 11:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by James
Hi Craig,

I don't have any images really, but there was fantastic book about Ali in HMV (Woking but probably others) that I saw just before Christmas.

Cheers,
James

Thanks James, I might pop into HMV tomorrow and see if they still have a copy.

Is this it?
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=93;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=301832

[Edited on 4/2/2010 by craig1410]

craig1410 - 5/2/10 at 01:08 AM

Here is the sort of thing I was looking for. This is Ali standing in his corner between R1 and R2 after facing the fury of George Foreman for the first time...

Ali-Fear
Ali-Fear

Steve Hignett - 5/2/10 at 01:12 AM

Glad you found something applicable!

He looks scared to me though...

craig1410 - 5/2/10 at 01:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Hignett
Glad you found something applicable!

He looks scared to me though...

Wouldn't you have been???

scootz - 5/2/10 at 11:04 AM

Most men were terrified when facing Mr Foreman... usually because they were clubbed into submission a short time later!

Foreman v's Norton and both fights v's Frazier offer perfect examples... ouch

Big George features in one of my favourite fights... against Ron Lyle. Now that was a brawl!

James - 5/2/10 at 11:29 AM

quote:
Originally posted by craig1410
quote:
Originally posted by James
Hi Craig,

Cheers,
James

Thanks James, I might pop into HMV tomorrow and see if they still have a copy.

Is this it?
http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?ctx=93;-1;-1;-1;-1&sku=301832

[Edited on 4/2/2010 by craig1410]

It looks kinda familiar, but to be honest, I'm not 100% sure. Knowing me, it was Xmas eve at 4.30 and I still had 5 presents to buy!

It was a very 'square' book if you see what I mean, probably about 9" x 9" closed by 1" thick.

HTH,
James

fesycresy - 5/2/10 at 12:44 PM

Ali ?

You need this man, the greatest boxer ever to have lived.......

Yo Adriannnnnnnnn........

mangogrooveworkshop - 5/2/10 at 12:57 PM

Craig there is a shop in the grassmarket in Edinburgh at the bottom of the hill that has a load of descent posters just like these...
Lizzy got her Bruce lee stuff from here.....

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=16948943962451552527&q=grassmarket&hl=en&cd=2&cad=src:pplink&ei=OhZsS8CJOM21OJiO2dIE

[Edited on 5-2-10 by mangogrooveworkshop]