Board logo

Austin 7 locost
Oliver Coles - 1/1/06 at 03:35 PM

Hi

Does antone know anything about The old austin 7 specials? If my locost project falls through i would like a special to restore.

chrisg - 1/1/06 at 07:42 PM

My mates got a big wallchart with a lot of seven derivatives on it.

i've restored a Ruby in the past, there's a great book called something like Building an Austin 7 Special (surprise surprise!)

I'll find it out and tell you who it's by.

Don't hesitate to ask anything about them, I might not know but, hey we can try!

Cheers

Chris

EDIT

It's called

Austin Seven specials; L.M. (Bill) Williams, G. T. Foulis 1958 reprinted 1975

Foulis is an imprint of Haynes publishing, they might have it, but I've a feeling it's out of print.

C.

[Edited on 1/1/06 by chrisg]

David Jenkins - 1/1/06 at 10:14 PM

See if you can get a copy of Mr Haynes's own book on building an Austin Seven special - that's how he started in the business... when he was a teenager.

My local shop-keeper has an Austin Seven special - pretty little thing, but totally gutless. Gets to 30-ish very quickly, reaches 50-ish eventually. Currently he's whingeing, because he needs 4 new tyres and they're over £75 each, plus fitting - they're special order from the owners' club.

rgds,
David

Ferg - 2/1/06 at 11:14 AM

My father-in-law used to race with the VSCC and I used to see loads of Seven Specials. The problem with them is that they really need minimal bodywork to get anything out of them ... weight is a serious issue. I knew a bloke who bought an unfinished 'Morgan-alike' built on a Seven chassis. He never got it finished, but I reckon it would've struggled to move.

gazza285 - 2/1/06 at 11:23 AM

I think that there's somebody on here with an unfinished Morgan-alike. It looks like a slow build, as his website hasn't been updated since the fifteenth of September 2003.

ASH3 - 2/1/06 at 11:44 AM

Ive got two Austin 7s 34 & 35
Ruby for restoration takin up
valuable garage space. Really
need to be selling them but my heart
wont let go..less the right offer comes,
no idea what they are worth anyone
interested with loads a cash

andylancaster3000 - 2/1/06 at 03:06 PM

My grandfather is currently building a Nippy replica. I call it a replica but its more of a special as a lot of it is to his own design. A nippy is a nice little austin seven, open top, two seat with a rounded rear end. Should look very nice.

Andy.